What detector is best for me?

riverfisher

Aug 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting, haven't used one since I was a kid. Here is what I am looking for in a detector.

I will be primarily detecting underwater (freshwater) using SCUBA in water depths less than 50 ft.
I am primarily interested in seeking out gold jewelry so looking for a machine best suited for this metal.
Ease of use or short learning curve for a novice user. Would like a machine that will be easy to learn and tune.
Quality machine. I see it as an investment so upfront cost not of concern.
Would like a machine that can also be used in salty water.

Thank you for any assistance.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excalibur ll ...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Minelab Excalibur II. Most other machines will only go a few feet underwater.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Please keep in mind that NO detector tells you there is gold under your coil! Aluminum will be found much much much much more often than any item made of gold. Did I mention lead fishing weights? Yep, they'll sound off like "gold", too. Matter of fact, the best machine for your needs has been mentioned above and is a pulse induction machine. So, bottle caps and anything else the size of a coin, including coins, will sound the same. No discrimination, dig it all.
Not trying to deter you, just the facts.
How about possibly renting one a few times to be sure it is the right hobby for you?
GOOD LUCK! Amazing amounts of gold has been recovered from the water.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you can, to add to what xr7ator stated, is there a dealer near you where you can see one first? Or borrowing one from a local club member?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorpro Headhunter Underwater. <$680. Dive to 100 feet. Very easy to learn. Electronics are in the headphones. Rechargable @40 hours per charge. I use mine in fresh and salt water. 8" coil is fine, but I'd go with the 12" if I bought another. There are a few YouTube vids on it. I love mine.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two others are the Tesoro Tiger Shark (VLF) and the Sand Shark (PI). Both are rated at 200' and I've never heard of one flooding. The Sand Shark is the better saltwater detector and the Tiger Shark is the better fresh water machine though they both can be used in either. Only issue is that Tesoro went out of business last year so new detectors are hard to come by but they are super reliable so used is fine. You can get one of each for what an Excal will cost. As mentioned above the Excal will work great in both salt and fresh water but they require more maintenance than the Tesoros.

OP
OP
R

riverfisher

Aug 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep in mind that NO detector tells you there is gold under your coil! Aluminum will be found much much much much more often than any item made of gold. Did I mention lead fishing weights? Yep, they'll sound off like "gold", too. Matter of fact, the best machine for your needs has been mentioned above and is a pulse induction machine. So, bottle caps and anything else the size of a coin, including coins, will sound the same. No discrimination, dig it all.
Not trying to deter you, just the facts.
How about possibly renting one a few times to be sure it is the right hobby for you?
GOOD LUCK! Amazing amounts of gold has been recovered from the water.

So is there really no way of knowing what you are hitting on until you dig? Will a gold ring make a different sound than a lead weight or a beer can? I am primarily interested in detecting in a large body of water that is busy with tourists swimming and who lose jewelry every day out there. I wish they made a detector that would just hit on gold. Sure would make things easy.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detector that only hits on gold? Yes, wouldn't that be something. Then everybody could just get rid of their current detectors because who'd want to dig anything else? That's the same dream we've all had, but reality is that if you want to dig gold, you have to dig just about everything else. Due to the different size and purity of gold targets, it can register just about anywhere on the VDI scale meaning you have to dig those targets to see what it is. You can for the most part eliminate iron (ferrous) targets like nails but that's about it. Gold can hit anywhere in the Non-ferrous range along with brass, copper, silver, aluminum, etc.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Well said, Tom.
I have found gold rings that I thought for sure was either a nickel or an aluminum pull tab based on the machine info. Rarely do I ever say to myself while detecting, "hey that's got to be a gold ring" before I dig the target. If and when I did, I was wrong 99% of the time. There is soooooo much more trash dropped than gold jewelry.

OP
OP
R

riverfisher

Aug 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input. I will go with the Minelab and be prepared to dig everything, and like it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
We fully expect you to show us a pile of gold jewelry soon! No need to show us the trash, but feel free to take pics of that pile as well and share, if you wish.

GOOD LUCK OUT IN THAT WATER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread