jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this the mail today, I returned a classring I found ,after research found the owner and return it with photos and video when i found it . It was lost over 30 years. This is like I love this hobbie a chance to return lost personal items that mean something to them.

43786.jpeg 43785.jpeg

Upvote 0

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job there still are good people in the world and you are 1 of them along with everyone else on TNET God Bless

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! Doesn't that just take the cake? Makes you feel real good I bet.
Congrats to you on the find and the return!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great karma for you and I think an Honorable Mention should be in order!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice of you for the research and return and very nice of him showing his gratitude.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the thank you note. I never got a note, but I have been able to hand a few people their rings in person. It's a great high! :icon_thumleft:

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome man..nobody takes the time to sit down and physically write someone and put it in the mailbox anymore. He must be really appreciative.

Nice work.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
So shines a good deed in a weary world and every time you do a good deed, you shine the light a little farther into the darkness. Well Done!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. insert creskol quote. I vote honorable but it would be nice to see a pic of the ring and the video. We do like that stuff here. Good on you sir

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! Good example, (love thy neighbor).

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are those who only see dollar signs when they find someone's lost treasures. Even in those instances where there are easy ways, or not so easy ways, to track down the person who lost the item. If those detectorists could understand that the heartfelt smile from a person who lost something dear to them, easily trumps the almighty dollar sign (no political pun intended), they would see a little bit nicer world around them.

So Cheers to You Jimzz977 :occasion14: On being a good human being!

You should add the link to your original posting of this, which would tie it all together. Honorable mention material here for sure!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...g-reunited-its-owner-after-30-years-dirt.html

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are those who only see dollar signs when they find someone's lost treasures. Even in those instances where there are easy ways, or not so easy ways, to track down the person who lost the item. If those detectorists could understand that the heartfelt smile from a person who lost something dear to them, easily trumps the almighty dollar sign (no political pun intended), they would see a little bit nicer world around them.

So Cheers to You Jimzz977 :occasion14: On being a good human being!

You should add the link to your original posting of this, which would tie it all together. Honorable mention material here for sure!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...g-reunited-its-owner-after-30-years-dirt.html

I'd love to return some class rings that I've found. But please don't oversimplify it as a case of "dollar signs". I have seen how risky it can be to return a dug ring. A member of our metal detecting club over 30 years ago found the owner of a ring he dug and arranged to return it to her. When he arrived, he was arrested and charged with B&E and theft. We went to the trial and he was eventually acquitted, but he had to hire a lawyer and nearly lost his job when news broke about his arrest. Had it been me, my termination would have been automatic. When we left the courthouse, who did we see smooching in the parking lot but the woman who claimed her ring was stolen, and the "investigating" officer.

I have found rings for friends, but after seeing my friend falsely accused of a crime, I will never contact a stranger to return a ring.

Last edited:

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to return some class rings that I've found. But please don't oversimplify it as a case of "dollar signs". I have seen how risky it can be to return a dug ring. A member of our metal detecting club over 30 years ago found the owner of a ring he dug and arranged to return it to her. When he arrived, he was arrested and charged with B&E and theft. We went to the trial and he was eventually acquitted, but he had to hire a lawyer and nearly lost his job when news broke about his arrest. Had it been me, my termination would have been automatic. When we left the courthouse, who did we see smooching in the parking lot but the woman who claimed her ring was stolen, and the "investigating" officer.

I have found rings for friends, but after seeing my friend falsely accused of a crime, I will never contact a stranger to return a ring.

Sorry you feel this way. As a retired law enforcement officer, Your Friend should have returned the favor of anguish he was put through, and should have SUED the arresting officer, the Department he represented, and the District Attorneys Office that prosecuted the case, with False Arrest & Prosecution, and Slander. At the very least.

To be charged with Breaking and Entering(i.e. Burglary), and Theft (i.e. Larceny), there absolutely needs to be more evidence than mere possession of allegedly stolen property. Without ANY supporting evidence to prove your friend committed those crimes, He would be greatly rewarded either by a Civil Court, or by the Municipality's Insurance Company to settle. He wouldn't even need a good Lawyer to win that case. A person cannot be convicted with even possession of stolen property, unless their intention is "to deprive the rightful owner" from such property. He was returning it.

If that situation happened to me, I would not let it change my Character, Morals, or sense of doing the right thing. But you can damn sure bet that those responsible would face the consequences!

Please rethink your position. As your forum Signature lists: "Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain"

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you feel this way. As a retired law enforcement officer, Your Friend should have returned the favor of anguish he was put through, and should have SUED the arresting officer, the Department he represented, and the District Attorneys Office that prosecuted the case, with False Arrest & Prosecution, and Slander. At the very least.

To be charged with Breaking and Entering(i.e. Burglary), and Theft (i.e. Larceny), there absolutely needs to be more evidence than mere possession of allegedly stolen property. Without ANY supporting evidence to prove your friend committed those crimes, He would be greatly rewarded either by a Civil Court, or by the Municipality's Insurance Company to settle. He wouldn't even need a good Lawyer to win that case. A person cannot be convicted with even possession of stolen property, unless their intention is "to deprive the rightful owner" from such property. He was returning it.

If that situation happened to me, I would not let it change my Character, Morals, or sense of doing the right thing. But you can damn sure bet that those responsible would face the consequences!

Please rethink your position. As your forum Signature lists: "Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain"

He was so relieved to be quickly acquitted that it probably never occurred to him to sue his false accusers. Especially in a corrupt southern county made famous only by Bob Dylan in "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll". Had this occurred in an area where "law and order" is not used as a punchline to abuse innocent people for kicks and/or insurance fraud, a civil case might have been worth pursuing. Considering the area, I would not have pursued it either.

Nice to see a law enforcement officer who still believes in justice. Thank you for your service!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to add that he was lucky to get a judge who listened to the case and (lack of) evidence. Had he drawn the old insane judge who was finally caught vandalizing the cars and flattening tires of courthouse employees, the outcome might have been different.

Don't get me wrong - I think the chance of this happening is very low. But it is not zero. Having seen it, and knowing that for many of us, the mere accusation would mean loss of a job, the consequences were just not worth the risk. I'm retired now and not worried about a false accusation costing me my livelihood, but these kinds of things affect people - in some cases, for life.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread