Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My daughter was granted a wish from the make a wish foundation. (Fantastic group). Her wish is to take an RV from Iowa down through the desert over to the west coast and back through the Rockies. I should have many chances to detect during this trip, my question is which machine to take??? Here in Iowa there is no mineralization. I have a T2se, a gold bug pro, and an omega 8000. Any suggestions on the best all rounder for varieties of soil and beach? I’m thinking omega will do well or t2. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of them will work ok in the dry sand. None of them will work good in the wet. Any reason you can't take all 3?

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saving space I guess. Detecting comes 2nd to my daughter and my 3 other children, and of course my wife. Just when I do go I want to have a decent setup. I know I don’t have a beach machine for wet sand but what about everywhere else? I’m more looking for older areas and open space. I’m not much on beaches. Only ever tried once. I see your in San Diego. We will be at a bay side campground for a few days there. Is there some good beach hunting there?

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m not near the beach but Cuda is right about wet soil/sand. Between the two I’d suggest the omega 8000 for its “Notch discrimination” and its coin based graphic target ID for coin-shooting. Good luck and happy hunting :icon_thumright:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saving space I guess. Detecting comes 2nd to my daughter and my 3 other children, and of course my wife. Just when I do go I want to have a decent setup. I know I don’t have a beach machine for wet sand but what about everywhere else? I’m more looking for older areas and open space. I’m not much on beaches. Only ever tried once. I see your in San Diego. We will be at a bay side campground for a few days there. Is there some good beach hunting there?

Lots of beaches to detect. Whether it will be "good" beach hunting is hard to predict. Bay side camping eh.....hmmm.....probably J st. marina area in Chula Vista on San Diego Bay, or boondocking it on Fiesta Island in Mission Bay. No good beaches by the J St. bay campground, but, several nearby on the ocean. Fiesta Island would take you over a year to detect. Ton's of junk there.....good stuff too on occasion. Lots of other beaches on Mission Bay that can be good. Miles of ocean beaches too a short drive away. PM me if you need specific areas along with where you are actually staying.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Lots of beaches to detect. Whether it will be "good" beach hunting is hard to predict. Bay side camping eh.....hmmm.....probably J st. marina area in Chula Vista on San Diego Bay, or boondocking it on Fiesta Island in Mission Bay. No good beaches by the J St. bay campground, but, several nearby on the ocean. Fiesta Island would take you over a year to detect. Ton's of junk there.....good stuff too on occasion. Lots of other beaches on Mission Bay that can be good. Miles of ocean beaches too a short drive away. PM me if you need specific areas along with where you are actually staying.
From south to north:
1. Imperial Beach. Very long beach starts at the Tiajuana River. Mostly locals and Hispanic.
2. Silver Strand. Lies between Imperial Beach and Coronado. Sparsly used except around the State Park. Navy trains frogmen there (Seals).
3. Coronado Beach. If you are looking to find "high end" objects use the detector in the vicinity of Hotel del Coronado. Gets pretty sparse the farther north you go.
4. San Diego Bay. Shelter Island has a tiny beach about 100 yds long. You might find some fishhooks there.
5. Pt. Loma/ Sunset cliffs a couple of small beaches mainly used by surfers.
6. Ocean Beach. Lots of people frequent this place, kind of low rent (that's funny), but for San Diego it is the place for "hippies". Probably pretty trashy.
6. Mission Bay. I agree about Fiesta Island. Lots more small beaches. I would head to Crown Pt. or one of the beaches in Mission Beach on the Bayside.
7. Mission Beach/ Pacific Beach. 3 miles packed with tourists. Start at the Roller Coaster, work your way north.
I wouldn't go much farther north than the pier.
8. Tourmaline. Mostly surfers, dog walkers and joggers.
9. La Jolla. Pronounced: la hoy ya
A. Wind and Sea Beach. It may be your best place to hunt. Small beach but packed with rich people. You will have competition. Go late or go early.
B. Marine St. Another small beach (300 yards) utilized by rich people's kids. Try this one also. It is a short walk from Windan'.
C. Children's Pool. You'll have to fight the pinipeds. Tiny beach (50 yds.)
D. LaJolla Shores/ Scripps Pier. Start at the Beach and Tennis Club ( tennis bracelets anyone?) About a half a mile of more rich people.
La Jolla is worth it just for the great scenery.
E. Blacks Beach ...take off your clothes and enjoy the sun. That's right, nude beach starting about 1/2 mile north of the pier.
AND THEN THERE ARE ALL THE BEACHES IN NORTH COUNTY.
Be warned: Go early. Parking gets real sketchy after 10:00...unless it's overcast or raining.
Have fun. Eat at any "Robertos" or "Albertos" Mexican take out restaurants. Great food, excellent prices. I think these guys were cousins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread