Garrett AT Max Issues

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an AT Max about 6 weeks ago and have been loving it. I have managed to find lots of items in areas where I have been many times before. I find it to be especially good in trashy areas where the recovery is so fast that I am finding coins beside large chunks of iron.

For the last two weeks though I have started having issues. I have been noticing that the battery indicator very quickly went from 4 bars down to 1. I initially blamed this on the rechargeable Duracells that I was using, but even putting brand new batteries into it would quickly or immediately drop to 1 bar. Every now and then it would go back to 4 bars, so I am thinking that there is a loose connection somewhere.

Additionally, I have been getting high toned signals but no numbers are appearing. This does not happen all the time and when I dig those tones I am usually finding iron.

Finally the machine will just start screaming a high pitch tone and not stop until it is switched off. I think it is because it thinks that the batteries are low.

Has anybody else been having these issues? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any input

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
The only strange thing mine does (or doesn’t do) is except the 4.5” super sniper coil which Garret’s says is compatible. I don’t get the double beep when resetting coils and I get nothing but white noise. Other than that, no issues.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you try using 4 new Energizer (max) or comparable batteries? Rechargeable batteries have a lower voltage and if they are older, holding their max voltage even after recharge; just cannot be achieved. Energizers...start with 1.56 volts when new. Give it a try, if not a trip to Garrett is in order. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread