mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Where's the freaking silver?

Hey everyone

Tonight Baldingboy and I went out to detect for a few hours. The Beast indicated silver at 10-11 inches! This area is old so silver at that depth would not be unheard of. BB swung his XLT and it indicated "something" might be there, it bounced around silver dollar, silver half at 10 inches. Well I opened up a plug and swung the Explorer over the hole and the plug, nothing! >:( Same for BB. Dug down about 6 inches and still nothing. Filled the hole back in and what do you know, the signal was back! We dug a ten inch hole by about one foot across and we could not find the signal. We passed out detectors over the dirt and the hole with no signal. Even used my Bullseye II on the dirt with no results. Filled the hold back in and the signal came back! The Explorer indicated Silver, upper right corner only one box high flute sound. So where is the freaking silver? Or is my machine just defective, or is the user a total idiot? Or is it all of the above?

This is really getting old and I am just about to find a new hobby. Can someone help and explain?

Upvote 0

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Re: Where's the freaking silver?

I'm kinda dumb when it comes to the technicality's , but I have often
wondered if metal digging tools sometimes have some kind of effect
on the soil and target since it would usually be two unlike metals.
( the digger and the target )
Maybe someday we'll have composite digging tools that
are metal free.

Doozis

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I use the GT and have this happen when a tiny piece of zinc (like from fruit jar lids) is caught in the sod. Those little buggers are hard to see.

Also, most detectors have a hard time detecting a coin down into a dug out hole. Dig an 8-inch hole and drop a quarter into it. You may not be able to detect it. Fill the hole and tamp the dirt down and you may then detect it.

I learned this back when I used Nautilus. I dug lots of holes with nothing in them. Then I'd refill and the signal came back. Finally one day I dug down about 15 inches even with zero signal and dug a shotgun brass. I refilled the hole and the signal was gone. I've repeated this many times but usually it's a tiny piece of nonferrous trash caught in the sod.

Badger

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Little .22 shells just did that to me....and i wasn't able to center it either. I dug the hole...no signal...fill it in..signal...

Turned out, the casing was off center off the hole, almost to the edge of the disc, and the shell was stepped on just enough that you couldn't see it clearly. Found 3 of em in a very small area til I finally caught on.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread