mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Where's the freaking silver?

Hey everyone

Tonight Baldingboy and I went out to detect for a few hours. The Beast indicated silver at 10-11 inches! This area is old so silver at that depth would not be unheard of. BB swung his XLT and it indicated "something" might be there, it bounced around silver dollar, silver half at 10 inches. Well I opened up a plug and swung the Explorer over the hole and the plug, nothing! >:( Same for BB. Dug down about 6 inches and still nothing. Filled the hole back in and what do you know, the signal was back! We dug a ten inch hole by about one foot across and we could not find the signal. We passed out detectors over the dirt and the hole with no signal. Even used my Bullseye II on the dirt with no results. Filled the hold back in and the signal came back! The Explorer indicated Silver, upper right corner only one box high flute sound. So where is the freaking silver? Or is my machine just defective, or is the user a total idiot? Or is it all of the above?

This is really getting old and I am just about to find a new hobby. Can someone help and explain?

Upvote 0

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Where's the freaking silver?

I have had this happen and just kept digging till i found the signal.
Did it pinpoint the same place each time???
I read that when that happens keep digging till you find the signal.For some reason the explorer will do that.You get a good signal but when you cut the plug it goes away....
Seems wierd that both detectors were doing the same thing.....

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Yes and it indicated silver on both machines! I gave up, guess I shouldn't have. May have to go back and see what the deal is.

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.

How you doing ME. I get these signals sometimes and they seem to usually end up being a small piece of iron off to the side that's throwing my machine off. And if you give up the hobby think of all the stories you will miss at the next hunt ;D Have a good one and I will talk to you later.

John

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometimes for me it's either one of two things...either a target in the side of the hole (but this usually shows up still after the dirt and plug are out)...or a small piece of something right on the surface. Did you turn the plug over and scan the TOP of it?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

ME, sounds like you might have to get the digger 1000 back from Burdie. Don't you dare give up on this hobby! Need ya there for the next hunt! And besides you have some of the most entertaining post on the forum as well as great finds!

HH

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

I did a full body cavity search of that FREAKING hole, the plug the sides the ground next to it! BB and I spent a full 20 mins trying to figure out what was going on. His final reply was that I was "jinxed and cursed" and that he was going to have to find a new hutning buddy! ;) :D ;D >:( >:( >:(

I can only hope he wasn't serious about it.

Remember I am a nurse and I am used to "digging" things out that others wouldn't dream about! ;) ;D (medical humor here, PM me if you want an explanation)

I think the Beast is possessed and it is messing with my head. I kept telling BB last night to reflect back on the CTH. Out of all the people there only a handful found coins. That didn't make the rest of us bad Detectorists. Come to think of it maybe it was a silver three cent piece and I just missed it. After seeing JD's I never realized how small those suckers are!!! I guess I will have to run back by there. There won't be any trouble finding the spot since the hole was slightly large, maybe. :-[ ::)

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

mastereagle22 said:
So where is the freaking silver? Or is my machine just defective, or is the user a total idiot? Or is it all of the above?

I'll take this one guys and gals. You are and idiot.

Wow...sometimes these things just write themselves. ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just had to get this one in Master....Take the BACKHOE along this time...GL and hope it is silver in that hole. I think all of us has had that type of experience. I usually find a very very very small piece of metal just laying around my 40 foot hole..

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

mastereagle22 said:
I did a full body cavity search of that FREAKING hole, the plug the sides the ground next to it! BB and I spent a full 20 mins trying to figure out what was going on. His final reply was that I was "jinxed and cursed" and that he was going to have to find a new hutning buddy! ;) :D ;D >:( >:( >:(

Remember I am a nurse and I am used to "digging" things out that others wouldn't dream about! ;) ;D (medical humor here, PM me if you want an explanation)

I think the Beast is possessed and it is messing with my head. I kept telling BB last night to reflect back on the CTH. Out of all the people there only a handful found coins. That didn't make the rest of us bad Detectorists. Come to think of it maybe it was a silver three cent piece and I just missed it. After seeing JD's I never realized how small those suckers are!!! I guess I will have to run back by there. There won't be any trouble finding the spot since the hole was slightly large, maybe. :-[ ::)

OK...ok. I am starting to feel bad for giving you trouble. I am not going to find a new hunting buddy. (Nobody else would go with me anyway.) The only way you will loose that spot is if Cindy Crawford starts metal detecting. Hmmm. That WOULD be cool. ???

whitescindy.JPG

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baldingboy said:
mastereagle22 said:

OK...ok. I am starting to feel bad for giving you trouble. I am not going to find a new hunting buddy. (Nobody else would go with me anyway.) The only way you will loose that spot is if Cindy Crawford starts metal detecting. Hmmm. That WOULD be cool. ???
BB....Ifn you find her detecting...Heck...I will be your partner..LOL

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Hey ME, I just remembered this. At the Caldwell hunt they were digging a hole near the set up area, they had it about a foot or more deep. Everybody got a signal but nobody could find the target and that hole got pretty big. There were 3 pinpointers trying to find it including my Sunray and could not come up with it. They finally found it. A small quarter inch piece of wire looking metal.

HH and stay with it.

Any ideas on my computer problem with the USB ports?

Bill

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What's your problem ?

Bill
[/quote]

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Long experience has taught me that when a signal disappears...
GIVE UP !!!

lmao....

Just Kidding....

the truth is that you should switch your machine to "all metal mode" when the plug and hole are undisturbed and see where you think it is....
then take the plug out.. (its already been dug) and now in all metal go over the
plug and hole again. where is it now ? in all metal you should find real quick if its still in the hole or in the plug.

Sometimes very small brass or aluminum items will read high and since the are smaller than coins they can read deep, but be on the surface.
Other times, when you have 2 nails or peaces of iron side by side or close to each other in the ground, the can give off a good target signal in the ground but when
dug the machine suddenly "See" the true identity and reads null for iron.

All metal will track it no mater what the real metal, so try that and let us know if this helped.
Richard

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota

I had this happen last week.I started to give up twice.3 times I enlarged the hole.Still no signal in the dirt pile,no signal in the hole until I filled it back in.I finally got my coil down in the hole and got a signal in the sidewall.It was a 1918 V Walking Liberty Half Dollar.It was 9" deep,at an angle in the sidewall.I was in a place where the size of the hole didn't matter.Now how many times have I given up and went on this summer?Bill

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Tin Nugget said:
Hey ME, I just remembered this. At the Caldwell hunt they were digging a hole near the set up area, they had it about a foot or more deep. Everybody got a signal but nobody could find the target and that hole got pretty big. There were 3 pinpointers trying to find it including my Sunray and could not come up with it. They finally found it. A small quarter inch piece of wire looking metal.

HH and stay with it.

Bill

I sent you three PMs. Just PM me and I will gladly discuss your situation. I have a solution for almost any computer problem you could have. I have a lot of parts still on my shelf from when my business was open and if I can help you out I will. PM me please.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Larry, what I do in this situation with any detector is go all metal. With the explorer, it's getting rid of the iron mask. Start taking every scoop of soil and pass it over the coil. Anything that comes up as metal, even if a little piece of foil or wire should be plucked and placed away from the plug. You will be suprised at the things that can give you a good signal with dirt around it, and then a different one when in the air. Ever had a Buffalo or similar coin first come in as silver? Then airtest perfectly nickel? In any event, this situation also happens, although I do not suspect it to be the case for you.........many times you detect a coin and it has a good signal, until you start moving the soil around it. You go to recheck and the signal is gone. At this point, you better have a good memory and trust where the detector PP'ed it last, because chances are it's still there. This goes along with the freshly planted dime at 5 inches that many a detector may not read. The PP'er will usually lock onto such a coin, but not with the detector in motion. Has this happened to me? You bet Larry.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

I wouldn't know anything about buffalo nickels since I haven't been able to find one yet! :(

But I agree with you and everyone else. I think it was probably a small piece of iron fooling the Beast. At least that is what I am going to keep telling myself. ;) :) ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i have had this happen with indian cents for some reason. my GTI 2500 has a true all metal mode and when the signal dissapeared i was able to pick it up again in all metal. i have no idea why. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread