Be a Good Ambassador for Our Hobby

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be a Good Ambassador for Our Hobby!
Today has been an interesting day to be involved in metal detecting. I wore one of my Central Texas Treasure Club t-shirts today. About an hour before sundown, I decided to go detecting for a little while because I didn't go any last week because of the dry and hard ground and the excessive heat but I can only stay cooped in for so long. I took my Ace 250 to a sandy area of a public park and started detecting when a young man, who will be starting college next week, struck up a conversation with me about metal detecting and about what I've found over the years. He said he's always been interested in detecting and in history so we talked awhile, I recommended a detector that he might be interested in, and I gave him one of our club cards and invited him to a meeting.
I notice that many people in this hobby use numerous excuses to try to avoid being "distracted" by curious onlookers. I'm just the opposite as I welcome the chance to teach people about detecting and treasure hunting, especially young people, because I know how much I've benefited from it over the past 50 years. I've said many times that the best treasure I've found in those years have been the long-lasting friendships I've made with other treasure hunters. I believe that we have an obligation to share this fun and educational pastime with others. Not only may it add some joy to their lives but it enhances the view the public has toward metal detecting and treasure hunting. Another benefit is that you never know when the person you're talking to is going to either give you a good treasure hunting lead or permission to hunt on their property.
After detecting, I came home and decided to go to Whataburger for dinner. I was placing my order at the register when I heard an older man, behind me, say "I noticed your shirt and you're the man I want to talk to." He said he'd like to ask me some questions about detecting because he's always wanted to get a metal detector but never has. I pointed to a booth where I'd be sitting after I finished placing my order and getting my drink and invited him to come over and discuss it. When I got seated, he came over and I recommended an "affordable" detector to him and we started talking until my food arrived. I gave him a club card and invited him to our next meeting also. He wrote my name and time and location of our meetings on the back of the card along with the kind of detector I recommended. He said he has a place on the Shenandoah River, where there was a lot of fighting and military activity during the Civil War, and that he always wondered what interesting things he could find there with a metal detector. We had a very nice chat and he introduced me to one of his dinner companions who was also a member of the same Ham Radio Club of Brownwood. He told his friend "See, this is why I'm always telling members to "wear their colors". He pointed to his own club shirt that he was wearing. He told him that if I hadn't been wearing my club shirt, he never would have met me and wouldn't have learned how to get started in this hobby.
So it's important to keep this in mind as you enjoy your treasure hunting. Don't try to ignore curious onlookers because you may be their only chance to be introduced to a lifetime of enjoyment in metal detecting and you will make many good friends in the process of being a treasure hunting ambassador.
Don't forget our CTTC Open Competition Hunt coming up on October 12th! Get your Early Bird Entry in the mail today. Details on how to get a printable Hunt flyer/registration form and details of Hunt prizes are available on our club's website: http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com

~Texas Jay

31107-1.jpg 2019 CTTC Hunt - 2.jpg CTTC Yard t-shirt3.jpg BrownwoodMap1.jpg

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been in numerous articles for returning items or helping someone
Ive made many returns - never taken a reward (not that theres anything wrong with that)
Ive helped police a few times with item recovery
and help fire depts find hydrants in deep snow and other with finding water or gas shut offs under lawns
hopefully it all helps

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent points Texas Jay, if not for anything else; detector manufacturers will continue to innovate for as long as there is interest in the hobby.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better to be a positive influence than negative...thanks for caring and sharing your experiences with others!

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what metal detector did you recommend to him? Simplex? Ace 250?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread