Need advice

tonyc10k

Sep 7, 2012
Georgetown ky
Detector(s) used
Minelabs equinox 800, whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been researching the heck out of a area in my county and found out its owned by the fiscal court. There is a public mountain bike trail system within the area so I know that its public access but I'm not sure about metal detecting there. I do know there is a 200yr old foundation on the property that is eating away at me. Not asking permission do to it being a bad can of worms cause my parks are all detector friendly and I'm not wanting to change that But dont want to get into hell if I'm not aloud to detect there.

Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume by fiscal court you mean county owned. I would probably hunt it (Maybe I have been lucky but I hunt almost all open county owned land without issue)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be posted rules regarding use on that piece of land. You may have to go to the courthouse to research them if they're not available online. With a public trail through that area, I would probably just go hunt it. If they don't want you to be there, they'll let you know!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be posted rules regarding use on that piece of land. You may have to go to the courthouse to research them if they're not available online. With a public trail through that area, I would probably just go hunt it. If they don't want you to be there, they'll let you know!

Do like old friend of mine used to do - hunt it and if someone comes up tell them a guy in a older red pick up truck was there and you asked him and he said no problem.
I was with him once at an iffy spot and i told him go ahead and hunt - i"ll watch - he was finding some good and i was
jealous - a guy pulls up and says "what are you doing?" and he told him "looking for old stuff" He then threw it out there
"Older guy in a red pick up came by and i asked him if it was okay if i detected here for a little while and he said it was okay"
The guy said, "that was probably Charlie.. okay ...good luck". :tongue3:
He said he used that a few other times in the past

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do like old friend of mine used to do - hunt it and if someone comes up tell them a guy in a older red pick up truck was there and you asked him and he said no problem.
I was with him once at an iffy spot and i told him go ahead and hunt - i"ll watch - he was finding some good and i was
jealous - a guy pulls up and says "what are you doing?" and he told him "looking for old stuff" He then threw it out there
"Older guy in a red pick up came by and i asked him if it was okay if i detected here for a little while and he said it was okay"
The guy said, "that was probably Charlie.. okay ...good luck". :tongue3:
He said he used that a few other times in the past

Thanks for this! Love the idea :D I may modify this to "guy in a black suv" cause that sounds official.
Knowing some important folks in your county is a big help also. Kind of a good ol' boy culture at work around here.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread but I hunt the area you are talking about in your county. It's totally legal and I've never has a problem. The bad part about the sites on all that land is that bulldozers have been in there and basically destroyed most of the old home sites back when the land was going be used as a county reservoir. The home sites are littered with many modern trash targets. My best find so far out there is a silver ring I pulled from the area where the county piles all the trees and brush near the end of Stockdell road. There used to be a house and a barn up there. Most of the homesite is under the tons of trees and brush piled up there. If you're still in the area hit me up sometime. I still go out there several times a year. This is the kind of junk I dig out there.
Rob

Attachments

• 20220211_185102_optimized.jpg
    20220211_185102_optimized.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread