Worth buying a Minelab Explorer SE Pro or should I go for newer?

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been kicking this around for a few days now and I really need to make a decision so hoping some of you guys can chip in here?

I do almost all my searching on the beach and up to now have been using a Makro Racer and Nokta Impact. Both are pretty good and their beach mode works quite well even on the wet sand. I can't help feeling though that I would be better of with a multi-frequency detector and as I can't stump up the cash for an Equinox right now I thought perhaps an older Minelab like the Explorer would do the job.

Before anyone says it..I don't want a Pi machine. I dig enough trash already and that's with disc on. It would be a nightmare digging everything!

All the videos I have seen of the Explorer show it to be quite slow in reactivity and the display seems to lag behind the signal. Would that be fair comment? Also the display seems very dull but maybe that is just because we are talking about 9/10 year old tech?

So any thoughts on this would be welcome. Pro's, con's etc. I just need a good beach machine so will the Explorer SE Pro do the job?

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have one and you do have to go slow. I'm landlocked so no idea if a good beach machine. A new EQ800 can be had for around $750. I would think the 600 would be a lot less.
Maybe time to sell a few finds and come up with the funds?

OP
OP
yammy

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
I have one and you do have to go slow. I'm landlocked so no idea if a good beach machine. A new EQ800 can be had for around $750. I would think the 600 would be a lot less.
Maybe time to sell a few finds and come up with the funds?

A New Equinox 600 here in the UK is ÂŁ679/$823. The 800 is ÂŁ879/$1066! A used Explorer SE Pro on the other hand is ÂŁ350/$420 so at the moment the used Explorer is within my budget but a new Nox is definitely not. Could sell some finds but will take time and in any case the valuable stuff is the rings and my wife would probably not want to part with them. Can't say I blame her. They are rather nice :)

Will chew it over some more and see if I can make up my mind by tomorrow. Need to just make a decision and move on.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would your exquinox dealer take one of your other machines as trade & cash for it?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

A New Equinox 600 here in the UK is ÂŁ679/$823. The 800 is ÂŁ879/$1066! A used Explorer SE Pro on the other hand is ÂŁ350/$420 so at the moment the used Explorer is within my budget but a new Nox is definitely not. Could sell some finds but will take time and in any case the valuable stuff is the rings and my wife would probably not want to part with them. Can't say I blame her. They are rather nice :)

Will chew it over some more and see if I can make up my mind by tomorrow. Need to just make a decision and move on.

I've heard Minelab provides a military discount. Any chance you have a friend or relative in the military who could purchase a machine on your behalf?

stillair1

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2019
UK Essex
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
Nox 600, Sov GT
Primary Interest:

Hi Saul, do you not get on with the dfx on the beach whilst saving for a nox.
Regards Neil

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vanquish should be out soon, that would be worth waiting for if price is a issue, other wise you cant beat the NOX

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The numeric display does lag if you have sensitivity too high or you’re in very heavy trash. The key is in the audio with ANY machine really, but the Explorers in particular. It also has a “Smartfind” screen which will teach you ALOT...if you want to spend the time an Explorer needs to be understood in an effective way. There’s another fellow in the UK who does some videos and he went from a Garret something to an Explorer and was absolutely dumbstruck at how deep it goes in the rock pools and on the beach. Forget the hand trowel with this one, and the Equinox as well if that’s where you land. They BOTH go to a US dime at 9” without even blinking with the standard coil. The Equinox seems to like lower conductors better as well, so you have much to think about! Truth be told, they both need attention to get the best out of them and you won’t go wrong with either one. I’m incredibly fortunate to have 3 generations of Minelabs and they are all at their best when the operator spends time with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread