Buying a metal detector, quick question...

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Hey guys, brand new to the hobby and have been using a Bounty Hunter model (I know, I know but I’m just not ready to spend a grand on the fancy machine). I saw a “Goldmaster Mineral and Metal Detector by Whites Electonics” Model TR7 (circa 1970s) I know its very old but have seen a few posts where people swear by their older machines, I was just wondering if its worth the $62 bucks the seller wants?

Any help would be appreciated, happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The Goldmaster's are good detectors, even the old ones. However, they're for finding gold out in the bush, not for use in the trashy areas we find coins. It'll drive you nuts in a park!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro has it 100% correct. If you want to hunt coins, this is not the detector.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Those old axes were good for ore sampling, especially nickel, iron, and copper, but they sure were tough to coin hunt with.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Locke,

Not sure which BH you have but my advise is to stick with it until you have the $ to upgrade. Don't buy the Goldmaster! Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread