Found gold coins. What next!? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Found gold coins. What next!?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2019
    118 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Another ring about 700’ from the others. Definitely hand crafted, maybe silver. Unsure of age!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C9BB4A5-9F05-4AFE-8800-8C47DFC5CE1C.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1746552

Aug 2019
    118 times
    A couple civil war era boot tips, and a silver ring that was 70’ from the cold coins. I believe it says sterling on it.

Name:	04949A81-F959-4CBA-A630-5D3A2701785C.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	1746554
    Last edited by bonedoctor; Aug 26, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7317 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Nice finds! If you plan on digging every target, I think I'd invest in some extra equipment. Personally, I'd get a good PI machine, like a White's TDI, and a two box, such as a TM808. If you have any area that just has to have discrimination, maybe get a Minelab Equinox, CTX, or an XP Deus. These will all go deeper than your current machine and will work better in iron, trash, and mineralized ground.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7317 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedoctor View Post
    Itís very unusual how clean they were straight from the ground! I have a theory as to how they got there. This area has 2 concrete slabs about 2x2. There were some statues on them. I believe this was a garden or hangout area, which explains all the odd finds.

I think one of the attorneys that lived here in the 40s may have stashed gold here because of bank distrust of the times. He moved out because of heart issues. Iím guessing he chose an obvious place between the statue and the creek fence line about 20í away. I bet he went to retrieve his stash and dropped a couple pieces in the ivy and the two rolled away. He would have been too old to unhealthy to find it.

I could be wrong, but Iíll keep searching. Going to use a sensor that goes deeper. I donít know if someone in the 1940s would have gold from 1880. Also, they are so clean they almost seem hardly used, which would have been too old to be his.
    High karat gold usually does come out of the ground very clean.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Sep 2017
    Indiana
    F75LTD, G2+, Tesoros
    18 times
    Metal Detecting
    Bonedoctor - when finding coins at the top of a river bank, my first thoughts are that they got there by the reinforcement of the bank at some point in time to prevent flooding. Perhap in preparation of the current home, in 1936, the land was graded by moving dirt towards the bank. Checking old surveying docs, building permits, topo maps, etc., might give a hint as to how the land was graded.

May 2017
    7 times
    For a site like this, you might consider Ground Penetrating Radar equipment or a service that uses GPR to survey the property. This would help find prospective places to dig deeper than the 4-8" you might detect with a traditional hand held detector.

Good Luck...sounds like an exciting project!

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    1281 times
    What ever you do...have a blast finding all that history!
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Central California
    Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
    1514 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey! That is actually an antique hanger. You can see the left side has a broken prong on the lower side. It was able to swivel.

https://www.chairish.com/product/142...l-hooks-a-pair
    Good id on that!

us
    Don

Feb 2016
    Missouri
    macro racer 2, whites mx5, trx pinpointer
    905 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow, just wow, incredible property you have there. One thing no one else mentioned, if you don't have a tractor and brush hog or large mower pay a neighbor to mow that area down so you can get clean and low unobstructed sweeps with your detector. Best of luck to you.

Hi
    Don

Aug 2019
    118 times
    What we did with the gold site was mow it down and scan multiple times. Nothing new there. We decided one of two things could have happened. The first is that it was dropped. In that case, one worked its way directly down the embankment 15', It was literally straight were gravity would have left it. I think we searched enough to rule out there would be nothing else close to the surface.

So, I used the excavator. I dug out the first couple of feet around the 2 coins, and then placed it nicely in a large flat area, so it could be searched a little deeper. I also went very deep where the uphill coin was found. This would rule out the second theory that there was a container. I went about 8' deep and it was sandy. Nothing was there.

So, I have 2 more things to consider. One was that it was washed here. I am doubting this, because the higher coin was about 3' into the flat ground, and not on the bank slope. The flood water probably didn't get here. The second thing to consider is that maye more were dropped along a path someone was walking. I will search that more.

I havent seen anything that would indicate a marker. No stones. Some of my largest trees are 100 years old, but that still doesnt get us too close to 1880. So, I dont know that any tree markers would still exist, if there were any.

I did get a better detector. Mine was junk. The new one is working good. It is a Teknetics T2. How should I run this? All Metal and highest sensitivity? I was mainly doing discrimination mode.
    Hillbilly Prince and BIKO 3 like this.

us
    Don

Feb 2016
    Missouri
    macro racer 2, whites mx5, trx pinpointer
    905 times
    Metal Detecting
    What we did with the gold site was mow it down and scan multiple times. Nothing new there. We decided one of two things could have happened. The first is that it was dropped. In that case, one worked its way directly down the embankment 15', It was literally straight were gravity would have left it. I think we searched enough to rule out there would be nothing else close to the surface.

So, I used the excavator. I dug out the first couple of feet around the 2 coins, and then placed it nicely in a large flat area, so it could be searched a little deeper. I also went very deep where the uphill coin was found. This would rule out the second theory that there was a container. I went about 8' deep and it was sandy. Nothing was there.

So, I have 2 more things to consider. One was that it was washed here. I am doubting this, because the higher coin was about 3' into the flat ground, and not on the bank slope. The flood water probably didn't get here. The second thing to consider is that maye more were dropped along a path someone was walking. I will search that more.

I havent seen anything that would indicate a marker. No stones. Some of my largest trees are 100 years old, but that still doesnt get us too close to 1880. So, I dont know that any tree markers would still exist, if there were any.

I did get a better detector. Mine was junk. The new one is working good. It is a Teknetics T2. How should I run this? All Metal and highest sensitivity? I was mainly doing discrimination mode.
    The T2 is a good machine. Yes run all metal but not necessarily the highest sensitivity setting as it could become unstable, just below where the tone is not chattery sounding.

Check out your excavated dirt.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2386 times

You are doing a great job and having great results! Be sure to grid your search area. In other words, if you search the area with N/S sweeps, go back and do E/W sweeps. And continue to overlap your sweeps. Move slowly with each new sweep advancing only half the diameter of your searchcoil.

Did you keep your excavated soil in discrete piles - such as first 6 inches, next foot, etc? We are usually thinking about metal objects here and sometimes it can be easy to get overly focused on the metal detecting. But if you have some nice piles of topsoil, consider building a shaker table and sifting that soil. That will produce lithic artifacts, pottery and glass. There should be plans for shaker tables on some of the archaeology websites. I have volunteered before for archaeological digs and usually they put the new guy on the shaker table after the bucket brigade. It is fun and also a way to include someone who is not using a metal detector. And you will find things by sifting that your metal detector will not detect. And then you have fine sifted topsoil to use somewhere.

Oh yes - try all metal and use as much sensitivity, or the pre-set, as the soil allows. I don't have a T2, but on my detectors, I usually use the discriminate mode but with minimum discrimination. Or I toggle between the two. A common rookie mistake is to discriminate out pull tabs. I convinced myself long ago that there was information there - some pull tabs go back to the early 1960's; discriminating them out means losing small rings and some nickels. I dig and remove pull tabs even where they infest a site. I want to learn their age - but also I don't want to dig them again.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Aug 27, 2019 at 09:13 AM.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

May 2012
    Kalamity Falls, Orygun
    Whites M6
    1937 times
    Awesome finds! Two in one day...BANNER all the way!

Aug 2019
    118 times
    Here is radar on my property. You can see the oxbow. My house was built there in 1936. It is heavily wooded. In the 1800s, not as wooded. You can see the 2 points where the oxbow was cut off. It dies every year. Has 6 inches of water now. It mainly just fills with runoff and then sink into the ground. It doesnt run out of the property anymore. When it was a running oxbow, Im sure the water ran over the ENTIRE area. It came from the north where the bridge is. I also labeled where the gold was found. To the west, you will see an indentation in the ground. That is where the old salt fork wagon trail went. It runs diagonally across the ground.

Name:	Layout.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	1746918

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2386 times
    Itís very unusual how clean they were straight from the ground! I have a theory as to how they got there. This area has 2 concrete slabs about 2x2. There were some statues on them. I believe this was a garden or hangout area, which explains all the odd finds.

I think one of the attorneys that lived here in the 40s may have stashed gold here because of bank distrust of the times. He moved out because of heart issues. Iím guessing he chose an obvious place between the statue and the creek fence line about 20í away. I bet he went to retrieve his stash and dropped a couple pieces in the ivy and the two rolled away. He would have been too old to unhealthy to find it.

I could be wrong, but Iíll keep searching. Going to use a sensor that goes deeper. I donít know if someone in the 1940s would have gold from 1880. Also, they are so clean they almost seem hardly used, which would have been too old to be his.
    The US gov't outlawed private ownership of gold in 1933 and set a deadline of May 1, 1933 for people to turn in their gold coins. Its not entirely clear to me if this applied to coins of numismatic significance or to all gold coins - but the dates you found were common dates and not likely to be exempt for reason of numismatic value in 1933. There are pictures of long lines at banks of people waiting to turn in their gold coins. Sometimes such pics are used to suggest a depression era run on the banks when it was really a line to turn in gold coins. There was an exemption of $100 in coin face value - but it is not clear if that was commonly known in 1933 or if it applied only to dentists, to numismatic coins, or to all gold coins.

Certainly some people hid their gold coins in fear of raids, etc that would never materialize. I wonder if that could be what you found.

Government Confiscation of Gold: Will History Repeat Itself? Find Out

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links