Tips for retrieving coins from the earth without damaging them? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tips for retrieving coins from the earth without damaging them?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Danged if I can think of one

Feb 2013
    Hills of WV
    Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
    100 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I will never forget the time I dug a number of plugs to retrieve targets. I was careful to replace each plug to make the area look untouched. I returned a few days later to search again, but was shocked to find every plug ripped out of the ground by an unsavory critter. I suspect a skunk was looking for grub worms.
    3cylbill likes this.

us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    179 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    They way I dig, if I'm using an 8" coil, and after pinpointing (with a locking type detector) the target reads less than 8" depth, I'll cut the plug the size of the coil. If your machine is of the type that you have to pinpoint by finding the center of cross sweeps, dig at least a 12" plug!

If using a smaller (4x6) coil, I'll still dig about an 8" plug unless the target can be detected with a hand-held pin-pointer at shallow depths.

I'll also make the cuts of the plug at least 2" deeper than the depth reading, so I don't nick the target while prying the plug out!

I seldom mar a target digging in dirt, and when I do, it's usually caused by the plug breaking apart as I'm prying it out. Now, scooping underwater or on beaches, That's a crap shoot at avoiding marking the target!
    Freedom isn't free! Thank You to all who serve and protect both in the military and In Law Enforcement

OH how I LOVE this hobby!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7401 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by WVPapaw View Post
    I will never forget the time I dug a number of plugs to retrieve targets. I was careful to replace each plug to make the area look untouched. I returned a few days later to search again, but was shocked to find every plug ripped out of the ground by an unsavory critter. I suspect a skunk was looking for grub worms.
    You'll have less of a problem with that if you cut a trap door plug instead of a complete circle. It help the grass recover faster too.
    Megalodon and xr7ator like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    996 times
    Metal Detecting
    TxAg likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7401 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Why use plastic? It would never hold up in our hard ground.

May 2017
    Garrett AT Pro
    288 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a site where the plastic trowel might work better than my Garrett digger. Our subdivision clubhouse has well irrigated grass around the pool area. Digging down in the moist soil is super easy. Our Coin Club meets at the clubhouse every month. At this month's meeting, the President and I put on a MD demo around the pool and found coins quite frequently. All were modern, but I scratched the heck out of a dime getting it out. We plan to go back and detect it for ourselves anticipating finding some jewelry. The club manager said if we turn the jewelry and nobody claims it, we get to keep it. The plastic digger should work quite well in this venue.

Jan 2007
    4 times
    Here is a link on digging a plug that might help you.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    996 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Why use plastic? It would never hold up in our hard ground.
    It holds up pretty good here in Colorado. It is a fiberglass reinforced plastic. It is softer than the coins and has never gouged one. They cost $2 and I have not broken one yet.
    TxAg likes this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11815 times
    Metal Detecting
    I carry a bunch of small zip-lock bags and drop the coins I suspect are good right in without brushing off the dirt. I soak the dirt off later at home.

Though this takes patience, and one that I thought was a large cent turned out to be a red Kennedy Half when cleaned(?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1377s.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1755589
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    7401 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
    Here is a link on digging a plug that might help you.
    The problem with that method, is that you are going to stand out like a sore thumb carrying that size digging tool. In an urban park or school, that just isn't going to fly with the maintenance crew or patrons of the park/school. Once you learn how to pin point with your machine, a small trap door plug is all you need, and done properly, you rarely will damage the target and won't hurt the sod. With roots uncut and still attached to one side of the plug, the grass will not die and will recover quickly. I'd rather damage a target on occasion than have the place off limits by digging huge full circle plugs using a tool that size.

Jan 2007
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    The problem with that method, is that you are going to stand out like a sore thumb carrying that size digging tool. In an urban park or school, that just isn't going to fly with the maintenance crew or patrons of the park/school. Once you learn how to pin point with your machine, a small trap door plug is all you need, and done properly, you rarely will damage the target and won't hurt the sod. With roots uncut and still attached to one side of the plug, the grass will not die and will recover quickly. I'd rather damage a target on occasion than have the place off limits by digging huge full circle plugs using a tool that size.
    It is true this is not the method to use everywhere. He originally asked what method to use to avoid damaging a coin, this seems to fit the bill. He also said that he hunts on a family farm, which seems like a good method to use.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    7401 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I agree, farm land, forest, large fields are a great place to take advantage of a large spade or shovel. His video location didn't seem to be any of those places.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30818 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great info pin pointing is alot of it love the replies

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links