Tips for retrieving coins from the earth without damaging them?

King Ghidorah

Jul 26, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently started metal detecting an old farm site that has been in the family for 200 years. I've had some insane luck finding coins from 1850s-1950s. The soil is very compact and the coins are coming out with incredible detail. Unfortunately I scratched an indian head penny and barber dime digging them out. I've been using the T Lesch shovel to dig. Not sure if it was the shovel or rocks in the compact soil that caused the scratches. Anyone have tips or a process they follow when digging to ensure they don't cause damage to the coins?

Thanks

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Pin pointing is very important. I've cut flaps as much as 12" wide when pin pointing isn't all that "comforting". A lot of times the target is "tilted" in the ground and will project the signal considerably away from the actual location.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will happen to the best of us at times. Getting experience in pin pointing will eventually reduce the number of damaged targets. In the mean time, cut bigger plugs (if you can) will usually help. If the area is one where you want to keep them small or if it's a well manicured area, start with a hand held pin pointer on the shallow targets, and if you need to excavate, cut a three sided trap door plug. The grass will recover faster and more completely that way.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not one to give advice on this subject because when the meter hits a nice silver tone/ reading, my mind slips into a type of frenzy to get it out. Not that it would make a difference because of the fact it has been buryed for a long time & retrieving it 5 seconds sooner would not make a differance.
With that said some coins are worth a tidy amount if a key date or error but with a scratch on it from your tool pretty much looses value.
Digging coins from a family owned piece of property would be for me mountable in a frame to have bragging rights. :hello2:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut the plug the same size as your coil after pinpointing with your metal detector, I do this with silver signals...

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A pinpointer will help a bunch and it will speed up recovery time meaning more targets dug in an outing. Practice practice. I try to cut my plug in front of the target and hinge it back. I stick my pinpointer down in the hole and usually the taget is ahead of me under the hinge. I then use a screw driver to loosen dirt to the side of the target and retrieve.
Never field clean. Wait til you get home and soak in soapy water and use running water and soft bristle tooth brush to gently remove caked on soil.

My first two barber dimes found back in the 80's I scratched as well. My first franklin halve, scratched the heck out of the back. My first SLQ, I scratched the hell outta the back of it as well! I could go on.....
This was before the handheld pinpointers were available. I have MUCH better luck not scratching coins now.

Slow down and good luck!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use toecutters technique as well. Also, be sure to get yourself a handheld pin pointer. Pinpointers will increase recovery speed and reduce frustration.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut a big plug most every dig. Properly replaced, the sod will do ok as long as you're careful on replacing it. I hate messing up something that survived OK until I found it. I'm lucky to have easy digging in our dirt locally but roots are always a problem.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your detector pinpointed activated start several inches to left or right of your target slowly moving toward it both watching your depth meter and listening for the increase in volume. When you get to the shallowest depth and loudest volume go just a tad further until ther both begin to change just a tad than creep back. Now sidestep 90 degrees, again moving your coil to the side several inches, again creeping to the target till meter shallowest and volume highest through headphones your target will be directly under the center circle of your coil if you're using a concentric coil. If you're using a double D than about under the shaft to coil mounting ear bolt.

Often with a double D you may be off a bit with a small 3-4 inch plug, but with a concentric spider coil it will be under that center circle 90% guarantee if you listened and watched the depth indicator carefully!

Last edited:

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the same situation as you and I know how terrible it feels to damage a coin but you have to realize it is part of the game.
When cutting a plug or digging a hole ALWAYS dig at least 5 inches away from where your target is pinpointed.
Also invest in a quality pinpointer to speed up recovery and decrease your chance of damaging your target. I use the Garrett pro pointer AT.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig larger holes and use a pinpointer

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with the others about the larger plugs and pin-pointers. Sometimes the plug is only the sod and the coin is much deeper. Once you lift away that flap or trapdoor, put the shovel or metal trowel down and use the pin-pointer and your fingers or a plastic grubbing tool. If the soil is still too hard, maybe you should quit for the day and return after a long soaking rain.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never forget the time I dug a number of plugs to retrieve targets. I was careful to replace each plug to make the area look untouched. I returned a few days later to search again, but was shocked to find every plug ripped out of the ground by an unsavory critter. I suspect a skunk was looking for grub worms.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They way I dig, if I'm using an 8" coil, and after pinpointing (with a locking type detector) the target reads less than 8" depth, I'll cut the plug the size of the coil. If your machine is of the type that you have to pinpoint by finding the center of cross sweeps, dig at least a 12" plug!

If using a smaller (4x6) coil, I'll still dig about an 8" plug unless the target can be detected with a hand-held pin-pointer at shallow depths.

I'll also make the cuts of the plug at least 2" deeper than the depth reading, so I don't nick the target while prying the plug out!

I seldom mar a target digging in dirt, and when I do, it's usually caused by the plug breaking apart as I'm prying it out. Now, scooping underwater or on beaches, That's a crap shoot at avoiding marking the target!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never forget the time I dug a number of plugs to retrieve targets. I was careful to replace each plug to make the area look untouched. I returned a few days later to search again, but was shocked to find every plug ripped out of the ground by an unsavory critter. I suspect a skunk was looking for grub worms.

You'll have less of a problem with that if you cut a trap door plug instead of a complete circle. It help the grass recover faster too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why use plastic? It would never hold up in our hard ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread