Is treasure hunting dead?

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that nobody is interested in buying anything anymore. Not just my stuff, but lots of other folks appear to be lowering prices with no response. What is going on? Is the economy so good people are just not buying used stuff? Have people just lost interest? Is the weather a factor? Is there a new generation that wants just new stuff? What are your thoughts?? Classifieds is stagnant.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Already have 7 detectors = my madness.....

I'd advise anyone to avoid my kinda insanity......

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish folks would buy some of my bottles. (want some?)

My wanted ad is doing sorta okay...

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that nobody is interested in buying anything anymore. Not just my stuff, but lots of other folks appear to be lowering prices with no response. What is going on? Is the economy so good people are just not buying used stuff? Have people just lost interest? Is the weather a factor? Is there a new generation that wants just new stuff? What are your thoughts?? Classifieds is stagnant.

I had this happen when I was selling at flea markets, figured out it wasnt them but is me, my junk was picked over and no one wanted it, I left it all for free and got fresh stock boom I was back in business...

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some new detectors on the horizon that will be a big step up in performance from any detector made in the last 50 yrs. I believe people are waiting to see their performance and price..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some younger folks have no idea about a thing called "history" before they arrived on the scene. I think good items will always have a place. Marginal stuff, not so much.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some younger folks have no idea about a thing called "history" before they arrived on the scene. I think good items will always have a place. Marginal stuff, not so much.

I agree with this. Nor do they care about it! As normal as treasure hunting seems to us it's that strange to them....

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2018/2019 were big years with some great detectors. Most people are using them.

Jposton1987

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that nobody is interested in buying anything anymore. Not just my stuff, but lots of other folks appear to be lowering prices with no response. What is going on? Have people just lost interest? Is the weather a factor? Is there a new generation that wants just new stuff? What are your thoughts?? Classifieds is stagnant.

Honestly, I believe it is a combination of so many different factors. Younger people do not seem as interested (I am a younger person, but love the hobby). I try to get friends interested but all they find to them is "junk", but to me is history. It is honestly a shame, but there are so many laws and city ordinances in many areas of the country that no longer make this a viable hobby. It's hard to spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby you aren't able to partake in. Another point, I haven't seen much innovation in technology over the last 20-30 years in metal detectors. We are limited on the power needed to get deeper into the ground and for the most part how much deeper are we willing to go? My Fisher CZ will go just as deep as my AT Pro and can ID just as well, but there are many older machines out there and have been handed down. We are probably back logged in a way. Back then the machines were made to last probably too many years, but I am thankful for that. As with most things I believe it is cyclical and now may be one of those down times. However, I want you and everyone to continue to add treasure hunting equipment to the classifieds. There may be more people out there who want to rediscover the past and enjoy the hunt as I do. Truth be told I have too many detectors as it is, but if I had the option I would buy every last one. Don't give up on the community just yet.

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
Old gear just not worth the money to buy when new gear is much more improved and better bang for the buck. Plus warranty

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look through the classifieds there are many good pieces there for sale, but it appears lots of folks are not getting any bites. Would it be possible for the mods to move this up on the list to a place closer to the top? It is always a hassle to scroll all the way to the bottom to find this section and I am sure it might get more attention if it was closer to the top (givin the current internet folks attention span).

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I really dislike when I open up the classifieds is threads that aren't even a classified!!!

I have this page on my favorites (no scrolling needed), check it every day for some gadget that I don't need.

But threads that don't belong, or people not marking items that are sold are my pet peeves.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take a look at ebay, and when you see common three ringed civil war bullets, or iron case shot going for $12 bucks or more, and people are buying them, it makes you wonder why they can't buy from us, cheaply on here.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but this thread is related to classifieds, so I wanted to get feedback from those who actually look at them.

YodaSenpai

Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The economy is not good. The stock market sure does make it seem that way though!

mattyb

Jun 4, 2010
Monterey, CA
Economy seems to be fine from everything I see. Many people are buying, but there is a lot of vintage stuff for sale here that is really outdated going for a hair less than what I can get a 3 year old Whites for in my local area on craigslist or offerup from someone that got it as a a gift or "doesnt have time for" which I can test run and dont have to pay for shipping. That is your competition, the marketplace is getting smaller thanks to all 3rd party apps and people are looking for the best deal. Maybe the younger generation doesnt swing detectors or "appreciate history", but me and my wife are 38 and 40, both MDs and I dont remember meeting anyone under 60 when we first got into it almost 20 years ago, but now I see regularly people in their 30s.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check the classifieds often, couple things I see now interest me, but its all about the price, not buying used if I can get it new for just a little more.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Buyer’s are like gold rings in the sand. If they’re not there, when you swing your coil over it, You won’t find one.
Updating and rotating your stock attracts new sales. Good luck!

Quake

Mar 1, 2010
MD
Detector(s) used
Current: Xp Deus, Equinox 600

Detectors used: Whites XLT, Fisher F75, Minelab Se Pro, Makro racer 2, T2 LTD DST,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't feel bad i had the same experience on these classified forums and ebay it ran for week's, I had a mint Teknetics T2 LTD with the minelab bluetooth headphones and 2 coils, I was lucky i sold that setup at $275
And the T2 had a build date of 11/2018 i should of just kept it for a backup, But needed the extra money for my Deus.
I'm guessing new detectors on the market has alott to do with it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New minelab has hurt the used market bad....New ones coming out are going to hurt it even worse....I am in my mid 40 s and I dont want no old detector ….unless its all I can get hence the Excal I bought. Let a new improved version come out and I will be on it. Knob job analog detectors are done in my mind with the younger generation...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions