New Metal Detector Design Requirement Wish List

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around October - November time line I will be seriously looking at several BRAND NEW designs for a new detector that I will design and bring to market. I am looking for any input as to requirements, a wish list. Please only reasonable requests / ideas if you don't mind. I am doing this for YOU as my prospecting parameters are already met bar a few bells and whistles in the new designs. There will be at least 2 -3 designs based on similar technology but I want to make the main design with YOUR input in mind.

You can see my post about patent concerns here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tech-talk/533504-enough-single-frequency-vlf-machines.html although this is just a reply to another member and does not go into great detail concerning my understanding of patents and the ability to work around same.

As long as your wish is reasonable then no request will be considered stupid. All requests will be documented and considered.

Fire at will.....

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We already have some pretty good models available to us right now. Rather than list all the features I would like to see, I'll mention a detector already built and what I would do to improve it. How about a waterproof Deus XP with multiple frequencies that can handle salt water? Or maybe an Equinox with expanded target I.D. numbers and the ferrous/conduct system like the CTX/Etrac and a better EMI rejection system. Maybe a PI detector with true target I.D. and iron discrimination ala the proposed Aquamanta? All detectors should be light weight, and have several coil and headphone options.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expect XP is already working on their saltwater capabilities.

Lightweight, WATERPROOF for real, narrow loop to get between corn rows.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I misspoke. I was out of action most of the summer due to surgery. The 5.20 upgrade has fixed the salt water detecting issues. It now does salt water very nicely! I hadn't been able to try it until about a week ago.

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More coming soon, been real critical in my thinking / planning to make sure I approach this the right way. Getting a lab setup just for this project which will give me 5 labs now 3 are for fun and making things needed by the other one, soon two.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish, i wish......
- a SQUID magnetometer array sensor with PI exciter and real time full Hilbert transform visualization algoritms
- a IP68 and mil spec schock proof design
- a biult in high resolution tracking sistem

that would be all, i am modest.

Oh yeah, the price shuldn't exceed 500 EUR.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love something that is collapsible that is airline friendly.

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish, i wish......
- a SQUID magnetometer array sensor with PI exciter and real time full Hilbert transform visualization algoritms
- a IP68 and mil spec schock proof design
- a biult in high resolution tracking sistem

that would be all, i am modest.

Oh yeah, the price shuldn't exceed 500 EUR.

:-)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a machine that will go out by itself and find stuff and send it to me by drone. It's late and I'm tired.

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - setting aside a considerable amount of project startup money and planning documents underway - I will need field testers if anyone is interested, will be picking (if anyone shows interest) by hunter type - Gold, Relics, Coins by metal, to start. NDA's with my Corp required from the get go, field testers will be handsomely compensated and of course the opportunity for employment does too.

TheGreenBoy : Wouldn't mind a PM with resume, your call.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd field test one at no charge. Just for the fun of it.

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd field test one at no charge. Just for the fun of it.

I really appreciate that and at the same time hear your frustration. My ideas are solid, some even tested :) And I am putting my money where my mouth is <- Translation = You accept compensation or no deal! :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's not a fortune! Maryland is a small state, so travel is minimal to be sure. I have some "hunted out" permissions that might give it it's run for the money. Even have a couple permissions in the Virginia red ground that makes detectorists pull their hair out!

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great - I will send you the NDA when I get a chance but no later than this weekend.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend Tom of Calif for a coin machine ....He give a honest review ......Terry for a Gold model i think he lost interest in the beach to many on lookers .....I wish you luck and i hope to see the reviews in 2020

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd test coinshooting for silver coins. I've taken detailed notes on all my sites over the past 10 years, and have new sites to work in the queue.

If I were to improve the E-trac I would add a GPS without a ridiculous increase in cost (I'm very meticulous about what areas of a site I've covered, and what I have not), and I would not restrict the ability to add any 3rd party coil I want.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc,

Just some thoughts if I was designing a metal detector (I have considered this as well but lack the resources & time) I would want my first machine to be simple and reliable. I personally wouldn't try to beat the Minelabs and DEUS of the world your first release.

The most important thing to get right is the discrimination (If you can really tell good from bad then you have already achieved more than most) So if there is some way to either disc, vdi, or audio tell from a pull tab from a nickel or a bottle cap from a quarter then you have really achieved something.

I think something like the Tesoro Compadre with a small DD coil maybe 6-8" would be a great first release. (IMO no need initially for multi-freq) Waterproofing is expensive and could be a second release goal.

Now if you had a lightweight Compadre like machine with a nice VDI range 0-100 for example and good discrimination the last two killer features would be price point <$400 and open-source software!

There isn't really anyone selling a machine with a base software program that you can modify or tweak and load your own program. A good example of this is the 3d printer market that allows the user base to make changes and contribute to the next stable releases.

Best of luck (I'm in Indiana if you get units ready let me know)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread