Am I the only one that HATES finding modern coin spills?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So annoying! I know I should be grateful at having something to show for my time, but I don't want modern coins. I want old silver! Not to mention, most modern coin spills are spread out over what seems like the area of a trash can lid, right at or close to the surface. I would much rather find single coins, if any.

I found three modern coin spills today, all right near the surface, all spread around so as not to be found in one plug, and all freakin loaded with zincs. Once I start investigating a signal, however, I'm invested, so I have to spend what seems like ten minutes rooting around in the grass looking for clad. Ugggg!

Rant over. I guess I'm just a little annoyed because I've finally given up on a very nice-looking spot that absolutely sucks. I've had high hopes since I started going there, and at this point I've come to the realization that it has been pounded for far too long to make it worth my time anymore. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schlitz used a narrow pull tab with a grooved solid pull end in about 1962-63. Schlitz was popular back then.

Hahah! Back when I was a kid and before my pop quit drinking, Schlitz was his favorite and the first beer to hit my tongue because I was allowed to take sips of his when we were alone. Thanks for the memory!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t mind digging clad at the beach at all. But for some reason I can’t stand digging clad in the dirt. We have some great old parks nearby that have old silvers and relics, but you have to suffer through handfuls of clad to pop an oldie. I also don’t do many permissions as they tend to be the same handful of clad for an occasional silver. My passion is for those long forgotten spots that have minimal modern trash and rarely a clad coin. These spots are getting harder to find. And yes, occasionally I’ll get a clad spill at a very old spot and it sucks...

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a relic hunter here in RI which is no easy task. Between overgrown woods, poison ivy, permissions ect... sometimes its a nice break to go to a park or beach and pull clad. Pull enough for a couple drinks and its a good day. If you have seen my channel on youtube its a mix of easy/brutal locations... sometimes its nice to relax but still detect the clad.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have found two 22k to 24K gold jewelry items. One is a Asian religious 3d pendant (not flat) that is folded in half. It hit just like a zincoln. It was getting dark at a school yard and I got the tone and told myself, OK, one more penny then I'm outta here. Bam! Looked like a gold nugget coming up with all the dark dirt stuffed in the crevices.
The other is a ring. We were working a closed down school in an area that had been filled with additional soil so the original surface was say 6 to 8 inches deep. This school was built in the late 50's and had been worked a bunch by others so we didn't find many silver coins or wheaties, but we did find a few.
I was finding clad coins in an area that the coins were super deep. My machine was just giving me an indication that there was a small piece of metal deep. I'd dig and sure enough, find a penny or dime about a foot deep. Then, I got a very faint quarter signal and out came a .999 gold ring.

I have found silver under clad on many occasions. You don't dig the clad, you don't even know that there is a deeper signal being masked by the recent drops.

With all that said, I have worked a some areas over the years that had more oldies than clad, but not many. Those spots are mostly gone now in 2019.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hit plenty of good stuff in the penny range as well. To clear things up a bit, I am not complaining about digging clad (I dig tons of it and all of it). HOWEVER, I absolutely hate modern coin spills. They just really irritate me. A single coin is right where I dig 99.9% of the time, clad or not. That's fine and dandy. Dig, retrieve, move on. Modern clad SPILLS are often scattered from hell to breakfast, and rooting around in the grass or hole to find 6 rotten zincs and a couple dimes is more time than I want to spend looking for coins I really could do without. That was the point I was trying to make with this thread.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that said, I have worked a some areas over the years that had more oldies than clad, but not many. Those spots are mostly gone now in 2019.

Not gone, they still exist. Just gotta be willing to do the work to find em

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind digging clad, it all goes into "I'm going to spend it on something one day" pot. I would much rather prefer to dig silver and relics but take what the ground gives me with gratitude (Don't want to piss off the MDing God!)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hit plenty of good stuff in the penny range as well. To clear things up a bit, I am not complaining about digging clad (I dig tons of it and all of it). HOWEVER, I absolutely hate modern coin spills. They just really irritate me. A single coin is right where I dig 99.9% of the time, clad or not. That's fine and dandy. Dig, retrieve, move on. Modern clad SPILLS are often scattered from hell to breakfast, and rooting around in the grass or hole to find 6 rotten zincs and a couple dimes is more time than I want to spend looking for coins I really could do without. That was the point I was trying to make with this thread.

This is how I feel as well. But in addition, too many needless holes from modern spills might jeopardize a permission - especially if you assume a hunting partner has good recovery technique. The oldest part of my son's place was built about 1832, so I have hunted it a few times. I took my wife, who is not as experienced and just assumed that she knew how to dig by having seen me do it for so long. But then I saw her holes and it was a "Whoa" moment. Luckily, she accepted my explanation and demonstration that hers was not good recovery technique. Some people might have brushed it off as "this is just the way I do it" and risk losing permission. Recovering targets with minimal damage takes more time, but I like to leave a site with little to no sign that I was there. (BTW, I got her a pinpointer for Christmas too)

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a 10 coin modern spill at a beach today. Mixed in was a really nice gold earring! Dig it ALL!

CorgiDoom1881

Feb 13, 2019
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding clad! It helps that there's 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins here that add up very quickly. I get an adrenaline rush often with clad spills as I see the value adding up. I don't find much old stuff, so clad keeps me satisfied usually.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats it why i love living in Europe
Here you find 1 and 2 euro coins everywhere.
You can rack up decent money in a couple of hours.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only gold ring was reading as a nickle in a modern spill

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not going to complain about any coins I find, regardless of what they are. I do not care about zincs and admit they are not the most desired thing but they do give you practice to keep you sharp. I'd rather find dimes and up but will take all the coins I can find.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont mone but I dont a stay at a site and spend my day digging modern coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread