Am I the only one that HATES finding modern coin spills? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Am I the only one that HATES finding modern coin spills?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    The surest representation of a man's character is his work ethic.

Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    949 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    If I dig a signal that is not historical or old or silver, then I want to learn something from it that might help me to understand the site better. Clad and zincolns don't do that for me. I'd prefer to dig a variety of old pull tabs that I can date to see if any of them were dropped when silver still circulated. Old pull tabs can serve as indicators for silver while zincolns and clad do not provide any useful information or encouragement IMO.

I can see that on a beach, a lot of clad can suggest a high level of activity that might increase the chances of finding jewelry and that's fine, just not my thing.
    You know, that is something I have considered doing but never gotten around to. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and research different types of..... Pulltabs
    Megalodon and Hawks88 like this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2368 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
    You know, that is something I have considered doing but never gotten around to. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and research different types of..... Pulltabs
    During the early days of pull tab development, there was quite the variety of designs and they were used for discrete dates. I don't have the reference in front of me, but I used one of the beer can guides at the library and it had a nice discussion on pull tabs with pics.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    E-Trac Wizard

May 2016
    Chester County, PA
    E-Trac
    159 times
    Metal Detecting
    If I dig a signal that is not historical or old or silver, then I want to learn something from it that might help me to understand the site better. Clad and zincolns don't do that for me. I'd prefer to dig a variety of old pull tabs that I can date to see if any of them were dropped when silver still circulated. Old pull tabs can serve as indicators for silver
    Agree on the pull tabs. There is a narrow one that seems a pretty good tell for 50s silver. I'm not an expert, tho.

I do think lots of deep 60s and 70s clad, along with deep bottlecaps, is a good tell that a site wasn't hunted in the 80s. I love finding deep bottlecaps for this reason. Such sites almost always turn out to be big silver sites for me.
    Oldest: 1755 reale; 1800 half dime | 1830 bust half | 1842 seated half | 1857 & 1876CC seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2368 times
    Schlitz used a narrow pull tab with a grooved solid pull end in about 1962-63. Schlitz was popular back then.
    smallfoot likes this.

- Mark Twain

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4949 times
    Don't get me wrong, I dig tons of tabs and foil. For some reason clad pisses me off, though. I mean, a copper penny will give me a warm fuzzy sometimes, but a zinc... Eewwww
    Yes, makes me angry too as I curse at it when I dig. what makes it even funnier is that my grandfather was on the research team for dupont who is responsible for creating the process of making the metal stock for clad. By taking sheets of metal painted with explosives down in old mine shafts and blowing stuff up. LOL
    Megalodon, DiamondDan and Hawks88 like this.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    1275 times
    I like finding anything that's not trash. Relics appeal to me and coins are always nice to find.(I don't get many in my hunts). But, I do get some. What pisses me off the most is the latest offerings of our coinage are all sorry. Gone are the days that we create anything special with our coins. Junk that won't survive...
    Megalodon, DiamondDan and Hawks88 like this.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    1275 times
    Schlitz used a narrow pull tab with a grooved solid pull end in about 1962-63. Schlitz was popular back then.
    Hahah! Back when I was a kid and before my pop quit drinking, Schlitz was his favorite and the first beer to hit my tongue because I was allowed to take sips of his when we were alone. Thanks for the memory!

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8878 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I donít mind digging clad at the beach at all. But for some reason I canít stand digging clad in the dirt. We have some great old parks nearby that have old silvers and relics, but you have to suffer through handfuls of clad to pop an oldie. I also donít do many permissions as they tend to be the same handful of clad for an occasional silver. My passion is for those long forgotten spots that have minimal modern trash and rarely a clad coin. These spots are getting harder to find. And yes, occasionally Iíll get a clad spill at a very old spot and it sucks...
    DiamondDan, 3cylbill and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    513 times
    Im a relic hunter here in RI which is no easy task. Between overgrown woods, poison ivy, permissions ect... sometimes its a nice break to go to a park or beach and pull clad. Pull enough for a couple drinks and its a good day. If you have seen my channel on youtube its a mix of easy/brutal locations... sometimes its nice to relax but still detect the clad.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3173 times
    I have found two 22k to 24K gold jewelry items. One is a Asian religious 3d pendant (not flat) that is folded in half. It hit just like a zincoln. It was getting dark at a school yard and I got the tone and told myself, OK, one more penny then I'm outta here. Bam! Looked like a gold nugget coming up with all the dark dirt stuffed in the crevices.
    The other is a ring. We were working a closed down school in an area that had been filled with additional soil so the original surface was say 6 to 8 inches deep. This school was built in the late 50's and had been worked a bunch by others so we didn't find many silver coins or wheaties, but we did find a few.
    I was finding clad coins in an area that the coins were super deep. My machine was just giving me an indication that there was a small piece of metal deep. I'd dig and sure enough, find a penny or dime about a foot deep. Then, I got a very faint quarter signal and out came a .999 gold ring.

I have found silver under clad on many occasions. You don't dig the clad, you don't even know that there is a deeper signal being masked by the recent drops.

With all that said, I have worked a some areas over the years that had more oldies than clad, but not many. Those spots are mostly gone now in 2019.
    DiamondDan and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    The surest representation of a man's character is his work ethic.

Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    949 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have hit plenty of good stuff in the penny range as well. To clear things up a bit, I am not complaining about digging clad (I dig tons of it and all of it). HOWEVER, I absolutely hate modern coin spills. They just really irritate me. A single coin is right where I dig 99.9% of the time, clad or not. That's fine and dandy. Dig, retrieve, move on. Modern clad SPILLS are often scattered from hell to breakfast, and rooting around in the grass or hole to find 6 rotten zincs and a couple dimes is more time than I want to spend looking for coins I really could do without. That was the point I was trying to make with this thread.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    With all that said, I have worked a some areas over the years that had more oldies than clad, but not many. Those spots are mostly gone now in 2019.
    Not gone, they still exist. Just gotta be willing to do the work to find em
    3cylbill, dsrtdwg1 and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4851 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I don't mind digging clad, it all goes into "I'm going to spend it on something one day" pot. I would much rather prefer to dig silver and relics but take what the ground gives me with gratitude (Don't want to piss off the MDing God!)

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2368 times
    I have hit plenty of good stuff in the penny range as well. To clear things up a bit, I am not complaining about digging clad (I dig tons of it and all of it). HOWEVER, I absolutely hate modern coin spills. They just really irritate me. A single coin is right where I dig 99.9% of the time, clad or not. That's fine and dandy. Dig, retrieve, move on. Modern clad SPILLS are often scattered from hell to breakfast, and rooting around in the grass or hole to find 6 rotten zincs and a couple dimes is more time than I want to spend looking for coins I really could do without. That was the point I was trying to make with this thread.
    This is how I feel as well. But in addition, too many needless holes from modern spills might jeopardize a permission - especially if you assume a hunting partner has good recovery technique. The oldest part of my son's place was built about 1832, so I have hunted it a few times. I took my wife, who is not as experienced and just assumed that she knew how to dig by having seen me do it for so long. But then I saw her holes and it was a "Whoa" moment. Luckily, she accepted my explanation and demonstration that hers was not good recovery technique. Some people might have brushed it off as "this is just the way I do it" and risk losing permission. Recovering targets with minimal damage takes more time, but I like to leave a site with little to no sign that I was there. (BTW, I got her a pinpointer for Christmas too)
    Last edited by Megalodon; Sep 05, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
    DiamondDan likes this.

- Mark Twain

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    24088 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I dug a 10 coin modern spill at a beach today. Mixed in was a really nice gold earring! Dig it ALL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links