Am I the only one that HATES finding modern coin spills?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So annoying! I know I should be grateful at having something to show for my time, but I don't want modern coins. I want old silver! Not to mention, most modern coin spills are spread out over what seems like the area of a trash can lid, right at or close to the surface. I would much rather find single coins, if any.

I found three modern coin spills today, all right near the surface, all spread around so as not to be found in one plug, and all freakin loaded with zincs. Once I start investigating a signal, however, I'm invested, so I have to spend what seems like ten minutes rooting around in the grass looking for clad. Ugggg!

Rant over. I guess I'm just a little annoyed because I've finally given up on a very nice-looking spot that absolutely sucks. I've had high hopes since I started going there, and at this point I've come to the realization that it has been pounded for far too long to make it worth my time anymore. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Get a pinpointer and speed up recovery time so that a coin spill will be no problem to find in a quick and timely manner. Newer drops mask older drops.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I despise clad.... know a few places I could dig it all day and make some decent cash, but I can't bring my self to do it. just seems like torture

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...silver is nice. A merc dime is what, $1.20? Doesn't take much clad to add up to that.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a pinpointer and speed up recovery time so that a coin spill will be no problem to find in a quick and timely manner. Newer drops mask older drops.

Who doesn't have a pinpointer these days? :laughing7: It's the principle.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't mind digging clad at all. I don't even mind digging pull tabs and foil because its just a few more tabs and foil until the next gold ring.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...silver is nice. A merc dime is what, $1.20? Doesn't take much clad to add up to that.

That's a good point, but it has never been about the monetary compensation for me. I'm obsessed with the history that our fine hobby can unearth. Old coins, specifically. They get my blood pumping.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally don't mind digging clad at all. I don't even mind digging pull tabs and foil because its just a few more tabs and foil until the next gold ring.

Don't get me wrong, I dig tons of tabs and foil. For some reason clad pisses me off, though. I mean, a copper penny will give me a warm fuzzy sometimes, but a zinc... Eewwww

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get me wrong, I dig tons of tabs and foil. For some reason clad pisses me off, though. I mean, a copper penny will give me a warm fuzzy sometimes, but a zinc... Eewwww

I'll take all the clad I can get because the clad on left side of the first photo bought all the silver in the other photo. IMGP0595.JPG IMGP0608.JPG

Last edited:

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A merc dime is what, $1.20? Doesn't take much clad to add up to that.

Its actually $1.4171 with the recent runup in the price of silver, but who's counting :) Need to find a couple more clad dimes to make up the difference ...

Its not about the monetary value, its about the experience. Finding a silver is like solving a puzzle. Its like catching a fish. Yes, you can buy fish at Wal-Mart, and it is much more efficient to do so, when you factor in the cost of the time and the gear to catch one, but isn't it more fun to catch one, the bigger the better?

To answer the OP's question, yes I hate clad spills, especially at 200 year old homesites. Any good modern detector can tell clad from silver, and at a park, clad is easy to safely ignore, and you leave it for folks who enjoy finding it, so it is a win win. But at a 200 year old site, you have to dig every high tone, because you just can't be sure, and that is when it is really annoying.

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty rural and for me it's an excitement to find any spill, clad or otherwise.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t mind digging clad. It all adds up to a greater amount in the end. It helps pay for other things. In my last 3 hunts I dug more than $20.00. I’m happy. This was all dug at a beach so it’s not hard to dig in the sand.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go to a park, ballfields, kiddie box, or just about any place that has been continually frequented by man, you can expect to dig clad .. It's part of the game.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dig a signal that is not historical or old or silver, then I want to learn something from it that might help me to understand the site better. Clad and zincolns don't do that for me. I'd prefer to dig a variety of old pull tabs that I can date to see if any of them were dropped when silver still circulated. Old pull tabs can serve as indicators for silver while zincolns and clad do not provide any useful information or encouragement IMO.

I can see that on a beach, a lot of clad can suggest a high level of activity that might increase the chances of finding jewelry and that's fine, just not my thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I dig a signal that is not historical or old or silver, then I want to learn something from it that might help me to understand the site better. Clad and zincolns don't do that for me. I'd prefer to dig a variety of old pull tabs that I can date to see if any of them were dropped when silver still circulated. Old pull tabs can serve as indicators for silver while zincolns and clad do not provide any useful information or encouragement IMO.

I can see that on a beach, a lot of clad can suggest a high level of activity that might increase the chances of finding jewelry and that's fine, just not my thing.

You know, that is something I have considered doing but never gotten around to. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and research different types of..... Pulltabs:laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, that is something I have considered doing but never gotten around to. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and research different types of..... Pulltabs:laughing7:

During the early days of pull tab development, there was quite the variety of designs and they were used for discrete dates. I don't have the reference in front of me, but I used one of the beer can guides at the library and it had a nice discussion on pull tabs with pics.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I dig a signal that is not historical or old or silver, then I want to learn something from it that might help me to understand the site better. Clad and zincolns don't do that for me. I'd prefer to dig a variety of old pull tabs that I can date to see if any of them were dropped when silver still circulated. Old pull tabs can serve as indicators for silver

Agree on the pull tabs. There is a narrow one that seems a pretty good tell for 50s silver. I'm not an expert, tho.

I do think lots of deep 60s and 70s clad, along with deep bottlecaps, is a good tell that a site wasn't hunted in the 80s. I love finding deep bottlecaps for this reason. Such sites almost always turn out to be big silver sites for me.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schlitz used a narrow pull tab with a grooved solid pull end in about 1962-63. Schlitz was popular back then.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, makes me angry too as I curse at it when I dig. what makes it even funnier is that my grandfather was on the research team for dupont who is responsible for creating the process of making the metal stock for clad. By taking sheets of metal painted with explosives down in old mine shafts and blowing stuff up. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread