Detector(s) used
Tesoro:
Original Silver Sabre

Bounty Hunter:
Land Ranger Pro,
Junior Target ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on my second go around with metal detecting. Fist time getting on the forums. I would say all together I've got around a year of weekends and afternoons of swinging time. My current primary machine is a Bounty Hunter LRP all stock, running disc 4 mostly with foil notched out.

To my main question, I have found a nice site with great Sandy soil and lots of shade (both required for Texas digging this time of year) however the site is bottle cap infested, it's also can slaw and pull tab infested too. I can work around the pull tabs and cans but the bottle caps are throwing me, there are literally areas that are more caps than grass etc, and nearly every plug has a few in it. For me on the LRP when they are burried 1-6 inches deep they are ringing up in the 75-95 range, most fairly consistently, and some holding the range withing 2-3 numbers on the ID. This is going north to south and east to west, flipping to all metal mode still gets same results. Pin pointing them just imitates a quarter sized object.

I know to listen for the scratchy choppy signals and the jumpy Target ID to spot them, but is there anything I'm missing on the ones that are ringing up so perfect? Any thing I can do to cut them out or distingish easier? Or am I just going to have to pay my dues and dig the caps lol.

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a tuff site. For me to work that site it would have to have some serious history with the potential for significant finds. A silver quarter or dime will give the same VDI as some bottle caps, but the sound is cleaner, sweeter sounding and very consistent when swinging all directions. A bottle cap will often either sound too good or too loud, and or show some iron VDI from certain directions. These are really difficult nuances in the signals. Good luck.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a somewhat similar ball diamond year round and used to hunt it with a Tesoro and a Fishers machine and I couldn't tell a bottle cap from a quarter. Some guys swear they can with a Tesoro but I couldnt hear the tone difference. With the Equinox I could if I switched to a higher freq because the VDI would jump and I could tell easily on the Whites V3i with the polar plot. (*The V3i is a heavy machine though)

The best machine I am now using is the XP Deus (ORX) and it is very good with bottle caps. As you wiggle the coil back you will hear a iron grunt 90% of the time. (vertical, Bent, or rusty caps can still fool you)
I may be crazy but I actually think I can hear the hole in the pull tabs it is that good.
Having said that I usually dig em anyway (If you carry a screwdriver and a pinpointer you will save a ton of time) I dug a few dollars in clad and cleaned out about a 75ft section this weekend.
The big item on the left turns out is a broken 1961 Corvette antenna
bcaps.jpg

OP
OP
H

Handy_man91

Greenie
Sep 2, 2019
Palo pinto county , TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro:
Original Silver Sabre

Bounty Hunter:
Land Ranger Pro,
Junior Target ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no history with the site other than knowing it pre dates 1965 and is off the beaten path for most detectorists. I may spend a few days doing sample areas and clean them out, see if there are any good finds. I do have a pin pointer and screw driver with me when I hunt

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a somewhat similar ball diamond year round and used to hunt it with a Tesoro and a Fishers machine and I couldn't tell a bottle cap from a quarter. Some guys swear they can with a Tesoro but I couldnt hear the tone difference. With the Equinox I could if I switched to a higher freq because the VDI would jump and I could tell easily on the Whites V3i with the polar plot. (*The V3i is a heavy machine though)

The best machine I am now using is the XP Deus (ORX) and it is very good with bottle caps. As you wiggle the coil back you will hear a iron grunt 90% of the time. (vertical, Bent, or rusty caps can still fool you)
I may be crazy but I actually think I can hear the hole in the pull tabs it is that good.
Having said that I usually dig em anyway (If you carry a screwdriver and a pinpointer you will save a ton of time) I dug a few dollars in clad and cleaned out about a 75ft section this weekend.
View attachment 1749952

Agree! Deus is very good at distinguishing bottle caps. Why i still dig so many.. who knows!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of times your vdi will vary by 5 or 6 numbers on a bottle cap theres really no way to totally get around them unless you discriminate them out. I hate those caps here in Michigan the pull tab is our state flower.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i would get a screen or classifier and just keep throwing the shovel load at a time.then after 20 shovel load look to see what you got.then full the 20 holes back up and start over.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you just need to dig em up so you can see if they are masking coins.

OP
OP
H

Handy_man91

Greenie
Sep 2, 2019
Palo pinto county , TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro:
Original Silver Sabre

Bounty Hunter:
Land Ranger Pro,
Junior Target ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure if I'm willing to dedicate myself to that with this site yet. So far the best thing I've gotten is a usable fishing lure, haven't even pulled any clad out.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Every now and then I will find and work a junky area, It can be intense, considering displaying a board of rare pop tabs.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use older tech machines, so my advice may be less applicable to the newest machines. I've had sites where there were so many targets under the coil that I finally broke down and tried a 4" coil. When I did that at my trashiest site, I started to pull Barber dimes. I still dug the old gold foil Heinz 57 packets, but the pinpointing was much easier. And I once pulled 7 or 8 Barber dimes from there in a day. That day convinced me to go to a smaller coil when trash is high.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt in a similar area, my nemesis is aluminum can tops from the 50’ and 60’s, but mine are usually less than 4” and usually come up between 19-23 on the Nox but I get a “twang” before and after the signal, same goes for bottle caps so my advice would be to listen to your signals closely and maybe get a smaller coil. Good luck!!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an area like that I would only dig the high tones, copper penny and above...

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some strong round magnets with holes in them. You can stick these on rake tines and systematically rake an area you have marked out. Will make the area much better..
Rake all directions then detect the same way..... Good luck...

OP
OP
H

Handy_man91

Greenie
Sep 2, 2019
Palo pinto county , TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro:
Original Silver Sabre

Bounty Hunter:
Land Ranger Pro,
Junior Target ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the rake advise, also my 5 inch coil for my tesoro original silver Sabre just arrived today. Going to try running that detector with the disc maxed and see if it cuts the caps.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I get to old campsites that have lots of trash including melted beer cans that have turned into molten blobs of aluminum.
Keep at it and listen for those sweet tones. Maybe slow down the swing on the coil ???

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I run an Etrac, what's a bottle cap?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig em all.Sooner or later one will be THE big one:)

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1749952

Bingo! The wiggle trick on the XP machines works wonders!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I get to old campsites that have lots of trash including melted beer cans that have turned into molten blobs of aluminum.
Keep at it and listen for those sweet tones. Maybe slow down the swing on the coil ???

Those sites are tricky. You can somewhat hear the "out of roundness" on the XP machines, but melted aluminum can fool even the most experienced dectorists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread