YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got an email from a guy who found an almost new Tesoro Bandido Umax in a trash dumpster. He says it seems to work fine, but he doesn't know why anyone would throw it away unless it is worthless. He has never used a detector and doesn't have a clue whether to keep it or trash it.

I told him that in the right hands it's a very good machine. Why it was thrown away is anyone's guess. I've see a couple fine detectors sold at yard sales for $25 or less because hubby died and the wife just junked them. Maybe that was the case here, it was just junk to somebody. Oh, that I should have such luck!:BangHead:

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably Put Fresh Batters in , In the House.
Turned it on & All it did was scream or Null out.
Figured it was Shot or too confusing.
Couldn't even detect a Quarter on the Floor next to the washing machine

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky guy! All sorts of people seem to start this hobby and then quit because they didn’t find gold on their first outing.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of times a unknowing spouse that wants to clean out the clutter just tosses whatever they think is junk or an item that is no longer being used and has no worth. I have seen a lot of good finds that work properly come out of the trash. My family owns a pawn shop and you would be amazed at what people bring in. Many times they have no idea of its worth. Most of the times they think they have a great find that turns out to be junk but there are times when they have a diamond in the rough.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some time ago, I bought a brand new (in box) Whites V3i for $600 dollars. The person put the machine together turned it on and could not figure it out. I told him, I would show him how to work the machine and metal detect, but he insisted it was defective. I took the machine and set it up for the area and he said it was junk. I said again, "sir, do you want me to show you how to use it?" He said NO! I'm going to sell it...I said, I have $600 dollars...Sold; he said. That is how I get most of my machines. People get the best machine "to find everything", but these upper end machines have a steep learning curve and very few have the patients to wait and learn the hobby. :dontknow:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I run in the wrong crowds......

But, realistically, I run in no crowds, thus have had to spend the bucks for each machine I own....

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One man's junk is another's Treasure...........or Treasure Finder. Best of Luck.

OP
OP
YumaMarc

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I run in the wrong crowds......

But, realistically, I run in no crowds, thus have had to spend the bucks for each machine I own....

Yeah, me too. I knew a guy who got an almost new Garrett Ace 250 for $25 at a yard sale.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why cant I find that lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread