1934 Mercury Dime found earlier this year- Obverse misalaigned ?

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Hi everyone,
I posted this on another section of this forum, but figured I might get a better shot at a response posting it here also.

I am not knowledgeable on error coins, and was looking for help on this 1934 Mercury Dime I found metal detecting this summer.

I am finally getting around to placing my summer finds into holders, and when I did, the obverse is noticeably off-set to the left of center about 10 degrees. I couldn't find anything in online research with this mentioned for this coin, so I am asking for help here to see if this is common/acceptable, or is this something else?

Thanks in advance, here is a 600dpi scan. I purposely used the same top edge of the holder to align for the scans, so the obverse is upside down, but this is the truest way to make a comparison front to back.

1934 Merc OBV off-set scan .jpg

Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
It does look like it was struck offset. Interesting find. Take it to a dealer for their opinion and its possible worth. Let us know what's said.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye any info yet

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Good eye any info yet
I researched this and found out that it is common for the reverse to be off. The ones that are off 90 degrees or more are the ones that are really sought after it seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions