Can't decide!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I still haven't decided what MD to buy...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to METAL DETECTING for more exposure...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you looking to find and where will you be searching?

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the horrible addiction that is known as metal detecting. I will go ahead and save you some wasted time, frustration, and money. Buy the Teknetics T2+ or T2SE. Buy you a smaller coil from NEL or Cors.. Enjoy the finds this combo can bring you. If there are coins in the ground, you're going to find them with that. look for 81-82 ID and expect either a copper penny or clad dime. 82-83 possibly clad dime or silver dime. 87-88 ID gets you quarters.
Run Disc at 21, sensitivity at 45 and ground balance over bare dirt with no targets underneath. Once balanced raise the sensitivity to 60-75, dial your tones to 2+ or 3 tone. Coin grabbing beast. I can pick up items as small as a grain of rice.

You will be better off with that detector and cors shrew coil for the parks, schools, and other trashy places. Your stock large coil will be good for open fields and less trashy places.
So far over the years I've owned ALL of the below at some time or another and the T2SE has been the most productive detector I've ever owned. Bear in mind I'm 48 yrs old, and my first detector was around 10-11 yrs old for me.
Radio Shack Detector (NON Disc), Bounty Hunter something or another, Garrett GTAx 750 and GTAx 550, Tesoro Bandido II Umax, Tesoro Cortes, Whites Classic II SL, Whites Classic ID, Minelab Explorer S, Minelab X-terra 70, Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-5, Garrett Ace 250, XP ORX, Teknetics Minuteman, Teknetics T2SE, Nokta Kruzer Multi.

Break out those bucks and spend it right the first time, get the T2SE or the T2+ and add a NEL or CORS small coil to go with it. If you are looking for a decent pinpointer check out the Mars pinpointer. Mine has been tough as nails.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also sent a FR hope you accept I like to share my finds and experiance. Tommy

BrianD

Greenie
Oct 5, 2019
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, I saw your post and am also a newbie. Is there a big difference in Teknetics T2+ or T2SE? Thanks.

Brian

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get GC1065, the best detector ever made, apart of mine, ofcourse. Wellcome.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob, I saw your post and am also a newbie. Is there a big difference in Teknetics T2+ or T2SE? Thanks.

Brian

The T2+ has only the stock 11" coil with it. However it does come with a pinpointer. It does not have the Cache Locate mode, which honestly I've never used on my T2SE anyway. The T2SE comes with the standard coil plus a 5" coil.
The T2 Plus would be a good unit also. Usually I only run either 2+ or 3 tone anyway. What really sets the machine apart though is when you add an aftermarket coil like the Nel Snake/Cors Shrew. I've also heard good things about the Nel Sharpshooter/Cors Fortune. It's one step up from the Shrew/Snake. The only negative things I've found with the T2 are the battery compartment housing and display unit. You really need covers for both of those, and to me that is a must. Without them sitting down your detector as you dig will get dirt and such all over the battery compartment. Covering the display is a no brainer too, can only add protection and life to the unit. There is absolutely zero wiggle or play in the shaft assembly, and when you adjust and tighten down your adjustments in the shaft and arm rest the items stay tightened. It's a really solid detector. Only uses 4 AA batteries and they last a really long time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian

Why anyone would buy a T2 or T2 SE when they can get a Vanquish for less or an Equinox for very little more, is beyond me.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why anyone would buy a T2 or T2 SE when they can get a Vanquish for less or an Equinox for very little more, is beyond me.

I actually owned the T2se. The recovery speed is at a snail pace on that machine. So yes you would need to spend extra money to get a small coil and even with that would have to hunt non trashy sites only to maximize your finds.

I own a MXT. Good detector. But again slower recovery. Good for non trashy sites.

I own a Nox800. Super fast recover speed. Decent price point. Great in mineralized soil. Great warranty. Good resale value if you end up not liking it or metal detecting.

Ive also owned a Garret AT pro.
This was a decent detector IMO. Found good stuff fairly deep. Although waterproof, not too good in salt water. Recovery speed not fast but for me better than T2se. Good price for a beginner.

My favorite, the Deus and GPX5000.
But I would not spend that kind of money just yet as a beginner.

If I was buying one for a young beginner... ATpro.... For someone that really wants to be in the hobby and have great results... Nox600/800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread