I used a pinpointer for the first time today.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when Noah and I got off the Ark, we didn't use pinpointers. They were for old men and sissies. We just rustled up a couple of wild boars to do our digging for us. Now that I am an old man and a sissy, and getting back into metal detecting, I bought a White's TRX pinpointer and used it for the first time today. This is the second time I've been detecting in at least 15 years; the first time was a few weeks ago, and you TreasureNet people have been my inspiration. Anyhow, the place isn't all that old - our house was built in 1946. But, there should be some silver around. I haven't found any yet. Today I dug 9 coins, all modern, including 3 nickels, within an hour and a half. Plus a lot of junk. Plus what I take to be zinc cents, for they are corroded to almost nothing. I like using the pinpointer - saves time. I'm beat and creaky, and heading for the medicine cabinet.

I'm using a Whites Spectra V3 - which was the best I could buy about 14 years ago but never used it until now. I'm practicing around the house because I know of an old village fair grounds in the county that I think is still relatively unknown to others, at least to others who have not dug into the 1800's maps. Maybe if I get back into the hobby hard I'll get a new-fangled machine; but what would Noah think?

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when you and Noah landed. I'm happy you're back detecting so go find some Silver! Gold will come later!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When i started detecting back in the 70's there were no pin pointers , But when they came out i got one and use it every time i detect after i got one. I really like them...would not be with out one..

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my next purchase. In the early to mid 90's I don't remember them being around.

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White V3 is still one of the best detectors on the market...you can up grade for free to get the i but not sure what difference it makes...

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
az46. Swinging an Equinox800 and never even owned a pinpointer? Once you get one you are going to bang your head as to why you waited so long.

I started this in the 80's and remember struggling to find the damn target in the dirt...sometimes taking over 20 minutes. Especially the roll of dimes I once found. (clad unfortunately) If my pinpointer breaks or battery dies and I don't have another, I go home! I now carry two pinpointers, one as backup.

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tip on using the V3i is that the ground balance is everything!! If you cannot get the machine to go from loud noise to quite threshold after ten to fifteen raise/lowers move to another patch of ground...don’t stop until you get a smooth low threshold...this makes a huge difference in depth and falsing...also don’t be afraid to run your machine hot and practice using hi pro or mixed mode as your standard search modes...takes some practice but well worth it over coin and jewelry...again your machine is one of the best on the market and once you have an understanding of what all the adjustments do you will not worry about another machine! I would also recommend getting the detech 13” ultimate coil to get the most in depth.

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
az46. Swinging an Equinox800 and never even owned a pinpointer? Once you get one you are going to bang your head as to why you waited so long.

I started this in the 80's and remember struggling to find the damn target in the dirt...sometimes taking over 20 minutes. Especially the roll of dimes I once found. (clad unfortunately) If my pinpointer breaks or battery dies and I don't have another, I go home! I now carry two pinpointers, one as backup.

I actually stopped detecting around 1995 and just recently started back up again.Can't say that I will stop again though.This hobby is more addicting then shooting a bow.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I detected in the early 80's, pin pointers were not available then. Today, I won't be without one = gotta have!

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've actually given up on a few holes too.:BangHead:Gonna get the Garrett carrot.I really missed metal detecting!

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it....I used to run the original Spectrum machine and i really got good at that one.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it....I used to run the original Spectrum machine and i really got good at that one.
I STILL USE - my white spectrum from 1995 and she never lets me down - still makes good finds - she loves the little silver others leave behind
i go to farm fields with her that others think they cleaned out and hammered by 20+ guys and i still pull 1/2 dimes and small spanish silver they miss
all the bigger stuff is gone I will give them that

NormyWeather

Greenie
Jun 4, 2019
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my pinpointer. Think I laid it on the bumper of the truck. Was hunting the park across from my house and laid it there while I put things back into the truck. It was an old Whites but did the job. Must be getting old. At least I haven’t mislaid the Detector. Gotta find a replacement.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting consistently for over 50 years, and hardly ever use a pinpointer, just in deep holes to locate a difficult target, other than that I feel they just slow down overall recovery time - handling an unnecessary tool - at least for me. Finding the target rapidly by sight and feel is an acquired skill, and using a pinpointer means you will never acquire it. Either way - best of digging to everybody!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when you and Noah landed. I'm happy you're back detecting so go find some Silver! Gold will come later!

I put them on the ark.....then stayed behind to do some water hunting for the stuff they left behind! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting in 1983 and there were no pinpointers then. Knowing how to pinpoint with the detector was what worked. When pinpointers started to hit the market I didn't think I needed one so I didn't get one. Finally in 2010 I decided to break open the piggy bank and give it a try. Even though I know how to pinpoint accurately with the detector the pinpointer STILL makes a big difference in the time it takes to retrieve the target. The time you save may allow you to find a few additional targets on each hunt. Would never hunt without one now.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1983 and there were no pinpointers then. Knowing how to pinpoint with the detector was what worked. When pinpointers started to hit the market I didn't think I needed one so I never got one. Finally in 2010 I decided to break open the piggy bank and give it a try. Even though I know how to pinpoint accurately with the detector the pinpointer STILL makes a big difference in the time it takes to retrieve the target. The time you save may allow you to find a few additional targets on each hunt. Would never hunt without one now.
Exactly what I was going to say. I never even gave it a thought that pinpoints were for sissies. Man they save so much time and puts you on the next target that much quicker. Which in my mind is just plain ol smart stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread