Couple of interest questions.

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) when you're going out to detect do you usually set a time limit for yourself or quit when you get tired or the light is starting to fade?

2) do you have a favorite place... ie park, beach, back yard... to detect? Oh and if so... what is it?

3) when you first decided to start detecting... what location was it that drew you in... for me it was kinda a toss up between beaches and rural fields

4) assuming your detector is waterproof (or water resistant) do you detect in the rain or does that make you pack it in for the day?

5) are you a spender or a hoarder? By that I mean when you get your clad to you itemize it and keep it in books as a collection or do you clean it up and spend it at the end of the year?

thanks... if you have the time to answer it's appreciated.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
1. When I start to get tired.
2. Beach
3. Beach
4. Don’t detect in the rain
5. Spend it as I go

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I go until I have to stop. Some times it gets too hot, others run out of daylight.

2. Places with history. Old home sites or abandoned townsites.

3. At first it was parks looking for change and old silver coins. Then my interest in history got involved!

4. In the rain and in the water is needed. No problem until the lightning starts then I’m out of there.

5. Clad is saved until my container for it is full them I cash it out. Usually I use it to purchase something new for detecting if needed or put it in savings to make a future purchase. I keep track of my finds to see how long it takes to pay for the detector and other tools used for detecting.

Note: Now that I am back in Florida beach hunting is becoming a big part of my detecting. I’ll typically prefer the beaches where there has been a ship wreck but the tourist beaches are also looking good.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
When my daughter was little and I had to babysit her for the day I would take her to the parks and fair grounds with the detector. I worked the detector and she liked to dig & use the pinpointer. It didn't take her long to recognize a good sound. On the way home we would go by the hamburger joint and get lunch. We didn't always have enough clad coins to pay for it but I didn't tell her that. She was hooked on the idea of finding enough money to buy lunch. You know how girls are with money. We had rain coats and as long as we were finding stuff she didn't want to quit because of the rain. I let her decide if we were going to get lunch or save it. She is thirty years old now and still has a jar of coins that she saved from our ventures. I guess she is a hoarder.

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my daughter was little and I had to babysit her for the day I would take her to the parks and fair grounds with the detector. I worked the detector and she liked to dig & use the pinpointer. It didn't take her long to recognize a good sound. On the way home we would go by the hamburger joint and get lunch. We didn't always have enough clad coins to pay for it but I didn't tell her that. She was hooked on the idea of finding enough money to buy lunch. You know how girls are with money. We had rain coats and as long as we were finding stuff she didn't want to quit because of the rain. I let her decide if we were going to get lunch or save it. She is thirty years old now and still has a jar of coins that she saved from our ventures. I guess she is a hoarder.

That is just awesome.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Yes
2. Old properties......especially in England!
3. Started out on the beach, then parks and schools, then beach again when I got a good water machine. Now, beaches and old properties.
4. Rain doesn't stop me, but, lightening will.
5. Clad doesn't get itemized, just spent whenever I need it. Metals get recycled. Good stuff gets saved.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) no time limit, but if the site is not producing in about 30 minutes I head to another site. I used to hunt from sun up to sun down, now 5 years in, I am content with 3-4 hours of hunting when I am local. If I travel to hunt with friends out of state, then we are hunting as long as possible.

2) My favorite sites are yards in the older parts of towns that have the original century home still standing or old farm yards. I did have 2 honey holes that have since pretty much dried up, combined they gave up about $550 total. One was gave me all modern coins, the other gave up a Morgan, a 2 cent, a barber quarter, a couple barber dimes, and 6 or 7 silver GW quarters, and maybe 10 silver rosies. It also gave me my 1st class ring and a ring made from a silver coin. One site was a small park in a very very very small town, were they have held a 4th of July picnic for over 30 years and the other was behind a school that has been fenced in for decades that had a football field which was 1st made in 1965). The oldest part of the school dated back into the 1800's. The school site was so target rich that for the longest time, if it did not ring in as a quarter I would not dig it. It was easy to average $5 to $6 an hour.

3) Old yards and old parks/school grounds that are showing in the 1870's maps of the surrounding counties.

4) I used to hunt in the rain, I simply just put a large baggie over the control unit unless of course it was a down poor. Heck I used to hunt as long as the ground wasn't frozen. That gave me 10 months to detect here in northern Ohio. I used to dress up and looked like the Michelin Man in late December and early January, having 5 to 6 layers of clothing. I do have a water machine, but have not had much luck at local beaches and some up on lake Erie.

5) I save all my clad up throughout the year, cleaning and rolling it as often as I get a tumbler's worth. At the end of the year I take a pic and then deposit it into my hobby account. The account is not in the same bank as my main account and it has paypal attached. I use the funds for hobby related items.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Go as long as I can!
2. I prefer woods hunting but anywhere people were is good for finding lost items and I don't really care where.
3. Old home sites drew me in.
4. I'm in Florida. About 13 months out of 12 you'll be soaking wet when you're done hunting...lol! I don't run from rain..at pro is waterproof and lots of water down here.
5. Around Christmas time, I give my daughter and my grandboy all the clad saved up from the year. I don't roll it, they do. Helps around that time for some gifts. The last 2 or 3 years have been 600+...

DirtSurgeon

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2011
1 - I usually go as long as I can take it, a lot of times limited by time. married w/ children and a job. :thumbsup:

2 - Any sports or soccer fields. !! Must keep your plugs clean and go when people aren't around, early weekend mornings, Sunday evening, etc...

3 - Local parks were my beginning. The amount of clad was astonishing. Still pulling surprises from one park 12 yrs later.

4 - Waterproof AT Pro, some rain is ok but down poor, time to go home. I'm only slightly water resistant.

5 - Hoarder til Xmas then Toys for everyone in family. New TVs, Xbox, laptop, drumset...over the years. Its fun telling people, "I dug that up".

Good Luck!

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) when you're going out to detect do you usually set a time limit for yourself or quit when you get tired or the light is starting to fade?

2) do you have a favorite place... ie park, beach, back yard... to detect? Oh and if so... what is it?

3) when you first decided to start detecting... what location was it that drew you in... for me it was kinda a toss up between beaches and rural fields

4) assuming your detector is waterproof (or water resistant) do you detect in the rain or does that make you pack it in for the day?

5) are you a spender or a hoarder? By that I mean when you get your clad to you itemize it and keep it in books as a collection or do you clean it up and spend it at the end of the year?

thanks... if you have the time to answer it's appreciated.

1) In this order, a)When it gets too hot and I'm soaking wet from sweating b)droves of people start to arrive and stare constantly c)I get tired or my neck begins to hurt more than usual
2) I like to hunt wherever there is the least chance of being bothered/questioned/gawked at while I try to detect and relax
3) Old homes
4) my detector is not waterproof, and when it begins to come down I'm done.
5) we hoard the regular clad until we get enough to coinstar it. Anything else like silver or wheats get stored indefinitely.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I find good stuff theres no time limits

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread