Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

I'm new to metal detecting, and I'm a soon expectant owner of an ace 250, and I would like to know what your experince with the ace's are, and your finds.

What tips, and advice do you have. On a scale of 1-10 how accurate was your detector, far as depth, and visual on screen accuracy on an object. What is the maximum depth you have detected at. And do you prefer rechargable batterys, or just standard batterys, and how long do they last.

My friend owns a lower end detectors, like the one I'm listing below, he use's his to find nuts&bolts, and things he looses in his yard, how would the ace compare to one of these anolog style jobs. Thanks

Attachments

• LL52_new.jpg
    LL52_new.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,203
Upvote 0

Luck Be a Lady

Dec 21, 2007
Arizona & Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 & ACE 250
Re: Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

Santa Claus brought me an Ace 250 this year. My husband (seger98) is gonna take me out this week to the local park and try it out. He's an experienced dectectorist with his Sov GT so he can give me lots of pointers. From all of the posts on here, it seems that I'll be really happy with this machine.

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

LBAL congratulations on the present Santa brought ya, you'll be finding all kinds of goodies, pretty soon. From money to fine jewelry. HH and Merry Hollidays.

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II

I've had the Ace 250 for about a year now, my first year detecting. I have found about $250 clad, $200 worth of gold jewelry (just cashed it in), numerous silver jewelry pieces and three silver mercury dimes. It is a good machine to learn on. I spent my first half year almost exclusively in tot lots which taught me much about the machine.
A few things:
1) I have found most of my gold in tot lots. None of them have rung up in the pulltab range. One gold find (a while gold heavy wedding band) rang as a nickel; all other gold finds rang up in the foil area, one notch below the nickel. After learning this, I now run my detector in jewelry mode as it eliminates iron but keeps the rest.
2) In my SoCal soil, zincs will ring up under the penny (right beside the dime) unless they are really corroded and then they usually ring up under penny (to the left of the icon). The pre-1982 pennies will some times ring up as a dime. If I get tired of digging, I ignore the penny signal. I still dig pennies but they are all pre-1982 and therefore not eaten up (corroded) by the soil.
3) For pinpointing, hold down the pinpoint button, slowly walk the coil over the signal. I begin farthest away from my body and drag the coil over the likely spot. When the signal disappears while compressing the pinpoint button, you have reached the coin. Make a mental mark where the signal disappears. Then move the coil away from you. Again make a mental note. You made need to repeat this a few times until you get the hang of it. Then with the vertical location of the coin determined, put this spot in the middle of the coil and repeat this process for left to right to determine its horizontal location. Usually I can pinpoint dead on in the top four inches using this method. It takes some getting used to with the oval shaped coil.
4) My deepest good find was 10 inches in sand (dry) at a tot lot. It was a clad quarter. It was not a clean signal and I had sensitivity full throttle. This creates very unstable chatter but it has also leads to my deepest finds. I can only endure the chatter for about a half an hour at a time but it does give me more depth. Usually sand takes away depth big-time from the 250 but that particular day the sand was really white sand (no black sand?) and maybe the weather was perfect (I don't know; I do know the quarter was 10 inches deep).
5) The silver dimes rang up as dimes but all of my silver jewelry rang up in the pulltab range (with the exception of one ring that rang as a dime).
Hope it goes well learning the Ace.
Take care,
Turtleman

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250

i got an ace250 for christmas.its my first.ive already found lots of suff.its great with coins.
i love it.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

I have had a Little Yeller Feller for a while now... it's a neato little machine.

Hunting, unless you have specific reasons, your custom setting looks suspect to me.
The stock programs are dandy!

Luck, my guess is your finds will convince your husband to buy one for himself!

R M P T R

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

using my Ace 250 today running 5 bars in my custom "relic" mode set up along the st marys river--- at about 6 to 8 inches deep --- I found 7 civil war era type bullets at what I believe was a civil war era picket site by the st marys river area here in fla ( its a shallow spot that would have been ideal for a quick dash across the river -- there was 6 "incoming shots" of about 36 cal (union pistol?) that came from the ga side 3 of which went into the sand and were buried in the sand in fine shape, then there was two whose noses were slightly damaged -- one however was badly "mushroomed" with only a small bit of the base left intact --- the other bullet (confederate?) was a larger bullet of rifle type about 52 or 54 cal -- the rifle bullet was a drop--- I thinking it went down something like this --- a rebel on picket duty had a union calvary person try to cross the river and fired his rifle at the calvary guy (thus the rebel picket did his job of alerting the nearby troops of union troops in the area ---of course the other nearby rebel troops would come to his aid) after firing his rifle he then dropped down below a log or tree he had felled for cover to reload his rifle ( dropping a "rifle" bullet in the process )-- the horseman open up on him hitting the ground and tree twice slightly (thus the nose damaged bullets ) and once dead on (thus the "mushroomed" shot) --- the spot will need more checking to be sure --- but is very interesting to say the least --- Ivan

rocker

Jun 2, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, CIBOLA, LOBO SuperTraq, AT Pro, Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With the stock coil, I use this method to pinpoint. While holding the pin point button down, swing over the target and try to find the center, now while still holding the pin point button down slowly pull the coil back away from the center of your target. just as the signal fades, stop, your target should be just above the inner coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread