Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

I'm new to metal detecting, and I'm a soon expectant owner of an ace 250, and I would like to know what your experince with the ace's are, and your finds.

What tips, and advice do you have. On a scale of 1-10 how accurate was your detector, far as depth, and visual on screen accuracy on an object. What is the maximum depth you have detected at. And do you prefer rechargable batterys, or just standard batterys, and how long do they last.

My friend owns a lower end detectors, like the one I'm listing below, he use's his to find nuts&bolts, and things he looses in his yard, how would the ace compare to one of these anolog style jobs. Thanks

Attachments

• LL52_new.jpg
    LL52_new.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,203
Upvote 0

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Re: Garrett Ace 150&250 owners

You can find a lot of helpful info in the Metal Detector Review thread. The one right below this one. Hope that helps.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

the ace will annihilate the toy in the picture! on a scale of 1 to 10 on accurate ID, i will give it an 8.(which is comparable to some higher dollar machines). deepest depth on a coin was about 8 inches but that was a rarity. 4 to 6 was much more common. it is a hell of a machine for $200

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

OB07: I have an Ace 250 and love it. It's a great machine for an amateur, which I am. Locates and IDs targets at a good solid 8", more, depending on how large the object is. Like any machine, it ballparks the target as far as identity, and when it comes to coins, it's good. Now I don't make my living with this thing, it's just for fun. But it's good for me. It will ID a coin or tab for you. Iron will include all the junk. Just takes using it to get to know it and the sounds. It's also lightweight and simple to operate.

I've been told that alkaline batteries are best. Others who have tried lithium or others have found the machine doesn't like them. The unit pulls almost no drain on the batteries. I change them about every 50 hours of use.

If you're a newbie, realize the next best thing you might want to invest in is a pinpointer. The coils on the regular MDs are great at locating a site, and using their pinpoint features, can narrow down the target greatly. But once you get in the dirt, the target can prove elusive. I used my 250 for 3 years before I broke down and bought a pinpointer. Saves lots of strokes and digging and filtering.

Good luck and don't hesitate to keep asking questions. LOTS of us here on the forum have 250s. -Noodle

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon

I also have an ace 250 and will say this, if you learn what it is telling you this can be a mean machine .
I have dug a nickel at 6"-7" and it rang like it was on the surface but the depth gauge read 8" . A great machine to learn with and once you learn it , you won't put it down.
It is lightweight,goes DEEP and yes it takes time to learn about pinpointing but that goes for any machine just give it a chance .

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007

I preffer to ignore the screen & go by tone. Seems the screen isn't all that accurate IMO. Still a great MD for the cost.

Smitty

PS- Welcome

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

IndianaSmith said:
I preffer to ignore the screen & go by tone. Seems the screen isn't all that accurate IMO. Still a great MD for the cost.

Smitty

PS- Welcome

this is good advice no matter what machine you use! ;)

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

Thanks guys for all the post, I'm looking forward to getting my ace, I shure hope it comes tomarrow. Be my luck it's pooring rain ouch.

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN

It can get pretty unstable/chattery if you turn the sensitivity up too high. My biggest mistake early on was to run it cranked way up there. It still gets good depth with the sens set on about 4 or 5 bars and the machine runs much smoother with better discrimination.

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

I just got my garrett 250 in the mail, wow what a machine, it's a little misty out dont think I'll get to try it out much.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

outback_2007 said:
I just got my garrett 250 in the mail, wow what a machine, it's a little misty out dont think I'll get to try it out much.

you made a nice choice! its a great machine for the money. ;)

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

I went looking around my yard some, and only found metal bottle lids, some wire connectors, and a peice of aluminum, and a copper pipe, and most of these was giveing me coin indications, with my sincetivety set between 4 and 6 bars. not to acurate, I guess you get what you pay for huh.

O yeah and the readings wear all over the sreen, erattic, and depth jupming from 2-4-6 inchs, showing multiple coins. must be the ground.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

outback_2007 said:
I went looking around my yard some, and only found metal bottle lids, some wire connectors, and a peice of aluminum, and a copper pipe, and most of these was giveing me coin indications, with my sincetivety set between 4 and 6 bars. not to acurate, I guess you get what you pay for huh.

O yeah and the readings wear all over the sreen, erattic, and depth jupming from 2-4-6 inchs, showing multiple coins. must be the ground.

give it time. most of the time trash will look erratic like you were seeing and coins will lock on. i say most of the time. sometimes good stuff can be erratic too, but give it time. it takes a while to learn to interpret what the machine is trying to tell you. there is a pretty good amount of skill involved in this hobby and the only way to get good is to get out there and detect. its not as easy as a lot of people first think it is.there are a lot of trash signals in the ground and you have to learn how to identify them. the ACE 250 actually IDs things as well as machines costing two times as much. i have a $1300 machine and it is often wrong at IDing targets. keep in mind that that screen is only a tool and you are the one making the decision to dig or not. the screen is often wrong, even on high dollar machines. i usually first go by sound and second by the screen.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

outback_2007 said:

you have to learn the machine...
when you get a beep, try to swing repeatedly over that lone target and watch the screen. if it jumps all over the place on that lone target, there's a good chance its trash. if the item ID seems to be fairly consistent as you swing then chances are its a coin.

i took mine apart and sat down on the couch with the coil on my leg and the display sitting next to me. i took a box of goodies and swung them over the coil one by one at about 4 to 6 inches and watched the display. get some coins, a pulltab, a nail, a bolt, a bottle cap, etc. you'll see what i'm talking about.

coins will give consistent readings on the ID scale, junk will generally hop all around.

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

Thanks guys, I will keep trying, and I have to get me a real digger, I have been useing one of them small folding shovels, it make to big o holes. But it's my yard. I want dig in no other place till I get a small digger, and learn my machine a little better.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

outback_2007 said:
Thanks guys, I will keep trying, and I have to get me a real digger, I have been useing one of them small folding shovels, it make to big o holes. But it's my yard. I want dig in no other place till I get a small digger, and learn my machine a little better.

look at the lesche predator digging tool. they are awesome.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Here buddy,
Below is a diagram of the ACE 250 Panel. To free you of some tylenol headaches at first with this machine,

1)Do yourself a favor and Disc out the Nickel tab. Unless you know there's plenty of nickels around or found Gregg's Nickel Hill, you'll end up digging a whole lot of Junk and Pull Tabs with that on. They will seem like good signals of course.

2) Do you see the notch between Penny and Dime that is also Disc'd out (Red square)? Get rid of that one also. You're going to miss the Zinc Pennies, and you will also eliminate 90% of all the bottle caps that are about the only thing that notch rings off on. Stick to pure dime and quarter signals. Pennies come in through the dime notch sometimes.

3) The ACE sounds off on the 50 cent and $1 notches alot. Don't dig those until you gain experience.

4) Do you want to tell if you are going to dig a pipe, a can, or a coin? Start waving your coil over your signal and slowly bring up the coil. If you're still getting a signal past 8 inches and beyond, this could very well be a large metal object, not a coin. A soda can will easily keep the detector going past a foot or foot and 1/2.

ACE PANEL.JPG

Once you gain experience, you'll easily want to start finding the nickels and dig all sorts of signals. Read some of the stuff that has been written here about the 250 in the Garrett review section.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia

Grats on your new machine !
The posts above are excellent advice and if you just be patient
and persistant and don't have really bad soil ,you will fall in love with the Ace 250. If you use Ricardo's recommended settings and don't
find coins , then you need to move on to another location.....ya can't find em if they ain't there .
Good Hunting and keep us posted :)

Doozis

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

I've been finding afew, and the ace does a desent job. I'm also learning it more and more, I'll cancel out those and give it a try Ricardo thanks again . It shure sounds like it will be easyer to detect with out digging a million pull tabs ;D What about the iron/cap/and foil, remove them or leave'em

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread