central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having just read something a forum member posted that really bothered me, I just am compelled to post my opinion in hopes to maybe alter some peoples views on the returning (or not returning) found items.

Although the sting of returning something valuable that you have found is inevitable, remember that you will forever change the life of at least one person, and possibly everyone's around that person. With one simple honest moral moment, that honestly this world we live in can use more of. When I find something valuable, the first thought in my mind after the excitement of finding it, is DAMN, who ever lost this must be heart broken.

As I have said this statement in another return post:

"There are those who only see dollar signs when they find someone's lost treasures. Even in those instances where there are easy ways, or not so easy ways, to track down the person who lost the item. If those detectorists could understand that the heartfelt smile, excitement, and gratitude from a person who lost something dear to them, easily trumps the almighty dollar sign (no political pun intended), they would see a little bit nicer world around them." And, possibly, just maybe, would change the way they would handle a similar thing.

Everyone who detects has invested good money to play in this hobby, dependent on their own financial positions. This is certain. So finding items and coins to pay for the equipment, and make some money, is what we all truly strive for.

I own three detectors and all the necessary accompanying tools. Without ever cashing in even one coin to date, this hobby has paid for itself with sales of jewelry items recovered that had no engraving identification, could not be located in public lost & found notices, or by checking in as many ways possible to find the person who lost it.
If the item has even some notable mark or characteristics, I will even place an add in lost & found public notices. I would rather change someones life and their beliefs in humanity, than make a few dollars profit at their emotional expense. The "feel good" for a good deed never goes away. But the almighty dollar just slips through your fingers.

Just my opinion. And if anyone ever finds my lost high school class ring on that upstate New York ski slope a 'then' girlfriend lost it on, I would be forever grateful and rewarding for tracking me down and returning it. And my belief in humanity would be up several notches as well. And I can use that more than anything.

Upvote 0

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a ladies wallet one day when I was out of town. It had cash in it.
Before the days of cell phones.
When I got home I tracked her down, called her, told her I'd found her wallet.
Sent it back to her certified mail. On my dime, actually dollars.
She called a couple days later, not to thank me but to tell there was some money missing, threatened to call the law.
I told her where she could stuff her wallet.
From then on, it is finders keepers, losers weepers.
If someone stops me and tells me they lost something, if I find it I will gladly return it.
Otherwise, tough titty.
It's mine.
Guess I need to change my handle to Blackbeard.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep1, Thanks for posting that extortion attempt. It is exactly my fear when returning wallets, purses, etc. Since most of the ones I've found were in shopping carts, I've returned them to the store's lost & found. For those found in the road, having fallen off a car, I've returned them with great trepidation and holding my breath. Too easy to arrest and convict someone on a false charge to take much risk just to feel good about doing something kind.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep1, Thanks for posting that extortion attempt. It is exactly my fear when returning wallets, purses, etc. Since most of the ones I've found were in shopping carts, I've returned them to the store's lost & found. For those found in the road, having fallen off a car, I've returned them with great trepidation and holding my breath. Too easy to arrest and convict someone on a false charge to take much risk just to feel good about doing something kind.
I've never found a class ring or other personalized piece of jewelry but in the later 80s I found a ladies wallet on the road. Opening it up revealed no cash but it did contain a drivers licence. It was a young lady that according to the birth date had turned 21 the day before.

I showed it to a younger friend of mine who lived a few miles from where I had found it. He knew the girl and said she was the type to claim that I had kept the money from it. So I didn't try getting ahold of her, I simply went to the local post office and dropped it in the outside letter drop off box. Hope she got her license back.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I made one class ring return in about '84. Met the guy at my front door and held it out in my hand. He grabbed it out of my hand, said "I thought I lost it!" and gone he was with no thanks whatsoever. Found another class ring here a couple years ago, found the guy and set up a meeting "Half way". Drove up with Indian Steve to meet him, waited two hours and he never showed. Gave him credit for "life happens" and called him & left a message - with no return call.

It's not precious metals, and it's still in my finds box.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes finding things and then finding the owner.. Can be big pain pain in the rear but if you want to do that and then pat your self on the back go to it.. But do not tell me what i should do with my finds.

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes finding things and then finding the owner.. Can be big pain pain in the rear but if you want to do that and then pat your self on the back go to it.. But do not tell me what i should do with my finds.

Yes, You have made your position CRYSTAL clear.
Just so I make myself CRYSTAL CLEAR. NO WHERE in my original, or following posts, have I once tried to "TELL" anyone what they should do with their finds. And if my beliefs are different than yours, that, is the wonderment of human life.
Doing what I believe is the right thing to do, I by no means consider "patting myself on the back". It means what it is, that my beliefs are that it is the right thing to do, especially so when locating the "careless" loser is pretty simple.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess folks get into this hobby for different reasons. Heck, some even do this for a living. I've personally have had more negative responses from the owners of returned items than positive ones. Of course there was no obligation on my part to return anything than there was from the owner to thank me for the return. Regardless, I know I would like to have anything I may have lost returned to me and will still go out of my way to make an "effort" to return things. I guess we all have a line where that "effort" is crossed and we spend more time looking for the owners than actually out there hunting. This is starting to remind me of my Aristotle classes in college. I'm out!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Some years back now, Indian Steve received a call to find an engagement ring. Steve found it! That pretty gal was almost at tears!

I'd do it again and again forever regardless of the idiots who do not appreciate what we try to do.

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, I appreciate your response, but PLEASE at least in this thread that I have started, could you PLEASE remove the implication that others that don't feel the same way as we do, are "i____s". I do not wish this thread to turn offensive, and that is offensive to many.

Please, and Thank You

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh! What the heck?

All I ever try to be is truthful,

And as friend to everyone - I've no hates in my life at 70. And in the end, goodness will prevail :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, I appreciate your response, but PLEASE at least in this thread that I have started, could you PLEASE remove the implication that others that don't feel the same way as we do, are "i____s". I do not wish this thread to turn offensive, and that is offensive to many.

Please, and Thank You

CCD, Deepseekers comment did not break any rules. He did not call any members on TreasureNet idiots, he made a general statement.

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CCD, Deepseekers comment did not break any rules. He did not call any members on TreasureNet idiots, he made a general statement.

Thank You for letting me know, but I never claimed he was in violation of any of the rules. I am just trying to keep this thread, which I started, completely civil, and simply asked him to please remove that potential inflammatory/offensive reference. Members with opposing views of mine and DeepseekersADS, will take offense.

I'm sure that we will hear from those members he generally referenced, but I hope that others will please keep this thread completely civil, and read all the posts with open minds, as I am trying to understand the differing views on this topic, which is why I started it to begin with.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for letting me know, but I never claimed he was in violation of any of the rules. I am just trying to keep this thread, which I started, completely civil, and simply asked him to please remove that potential inflammatory/offensive reference. Members with opposing views of mine and DeepseekersADS, will take offense.
I'm sure that we will hear from those members he generally referenced, but I hope that others will please keep this thread completely civil, and read all the posts with open minds, as I am trying to understand the differing views on this topic, which is why I started it to begin with.

Man, you're wrong, no offense intended ever!

Been around many a block, been shot at and missed - but Sh*t at and hit. I welcome you to the forum. Please don't be so sensitive - you'll see worse out there my friend.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As long as members reply according to our rules they are welcome to disagree with someone's opinion.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a class ring that I found and can't seem to find the guy.I even called the cops in hopes of some help(first time in my life) no help.Very frustrated!It even has his full name engraved on the inside.Anyone no what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

The police have more important things to do than run a lost and found.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made at least 150 returns of various sorts and will continue to try to do more. It's just my personal desire and experience that compels me to do so. When you witness someone turn into a blubbering basket case (with joy) when you've returned a lost family heirloom or wedding ring, you'll know why I, and others do it. Have I run across people that have shown absolutely no appreciation for my efforts? Sure, but, the others mentioned above more than make up for the classless boobs you may encounter. I have found well over 1000 rings (and 100's of other personal items) that I can't find the owner. Returning one doesn't affect my lifestyle one bit, and improves my outlook and karma.

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The police have more important things to do than run a lost and found.

I din't say that they should.Was looking for help,there's a difference.And as far as I remember,they do have a lost and found.The lady on the phone said I could turn it in.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they have a lost and found (at least in our city). It's called a file cabinet. After the prescribed period of time, they empty the file cabinet and the contents go to an auction. They don't actively try to find the owner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont turn it in, odds are it will not reach the owner. You said it is class ring, call the school and tell them your trying to return a lost class ring you found and give them the name in the ring..

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several years ago i returned a 1977 class ring to the lady that lost it.Dont think she had it long as it wasnt worn anywhere all the edges were still sharp.. i didnt want a reward but was a little disappointed in her response.. Thats OK because for me it was a pleasure...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread