central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having just read something a forum member posted that really bothered me, I just am compelled to post my opinion in hopes to maybe alter some peoples views on the returning (or not returning) found items.

Although the sting of returning something valuable that you have found is inevitable, remember that you will forever change the life of at least one person, and possibly everyone's around that person. With one simple honest moral moment, that honestly this world we live in can use more of. When I find something valuable, the first thought in my mind after the excitement of finding it, is DAMN, who ever lost this must be heart broken.

As I have said this statement in another return post:

"There are those who only see dollar signs when they find someone's lost treasures. Even in those instances where there are easy ways, or not so easy ways, to track down the person who lost the item. If those detectorists could understand that the heartfelt smile, excitement, and gratitude from a person who lost something dear to them, easily trumps the almighty dollar sign (no political pun intended), they would see a little bit nicer world around them." And, possibly, just maybe, would change the way they would handle a similar thing.

Everyone who detects has invested good money to play in this hobby, dependent on their own financial positions. This is certain. So finding items and coins to pay for the equipment, and make some money, is what we all truly strive for.

I own three detectors and all the necessary accompanying tools. Without ever cashing in even one coin to date, this hobby has paid for itself with sales of jewelry items recovered that had no engraving identification, could not be located in public lost & found notices, or by checking in as many ways possible to find the person who lost it.
If the item has even some notable mark or characteristics, I will even place an add in lost & found public notices. I would rather change someones life and their beliefs in humanity, than make a few dollars profit at their emotional expense. The "feel good" for a good deed never goes away. But the almighty dollar just slips through your fingers.

Just my opinion. And if anyone ever finds my lost high school class ring on that upstate New York ski slope a 'then' girlfriend lost it on, I would be forever grateful and rewarding for tracking me down and returning it. And my belief in humanity would be up several notches as well. And I can use that more than anything.

Upvote 0

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking about this reminded me of something that happened to me about 3 yrs or so ago.. Theres a preetty safe to walk(not much traffic) road behind the golf course next to the community where i live, i had noticed this purse in the brush alongside of the road, on the way back i picked it up took it home and looked thru it. Wallet and drivers license there but of course it had been pilfered well. I called the lady to see how i could return it..
Dont remember now what she said but ssoon a police car was in front if my place.. Anyway the officer got a little testy, i told him Hell im just trying to return this item and i don't need the 3rd degree about it. So sometimes good deeds can be a little trying.. But what the hell id do it again....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread