Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the places most heavily traveled first, drive way, sidewalks, walk ways, clotheslines....

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are talking OLDER home sites (1800's - early 1900's), start where the homes exits are (or where they used to be). Front doors were for guests, and back or side entrances were for daily use so you could remove boots and coats, so they saw much more traffic.
Families used to gather in front or side yards mostly in older times, and they would typically set up picnics or meals in the shade of trees and where a breeze could help keep them cool. Search under and around the largest trees (oldest) trees that remain close to the house, or where they have been removed.
I Agree with Toecutter with locations he listed, but remember, the current location of those may have changed. I found two silver dimes, a brass jingle bell, and other parts of horse tack in a lawn area, but upon digging them, the lawn was very thin covering an old stone driveway.
Also as 'crappy' as this may sound, if the home is old enough to have had an outhouse prior to indoor plumbing, the path to and around the old outhouse location is good to cover.

You can find anything, anywhere. I found an 1887 Indian Head Cent in the middle of the back yard of a house built in the 1980's! Turned out that was the location of the original wagon trail/road which later was moved and replaced by the current paved road almost 1500' from the original.

Bottom line.....You just never know so do all you can.

OH, and don't forget about the old vegetable garden area's. Since many or most homes back then would have a garden to grow food, many rings and pocket change was lost in the process!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeRo

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great info..... thanks!