Theory or opinion on these identically mashed buttons

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first photos below shows two flattened 2- piece buttons I found in a Missouri field that has produced many pre-civil war buttons, relics and coins. I illuminated the buttons from above and below to show details. And yes, they are indeed 2-piece buttons, not flat

20190212_180008.jpg

20190212_180046.jpg

The photos below were posted by user 'edlynne' from Central MA. on 9/10/19. He posted it as being a flat button but in my response I disagreed with his flat button assessment because I believe it to be a 2-piece that was flattened in the same manner as both of mine using the same type of tool.

eagle back4.jpg

eagle back.jpg

What is your theory or WAG on why, in two completely different areas of the US, (Missouri and Massachusetts) these buttons were flattened using the same type of tool? I don't believe it's coincidental.
Some theories suggest they were used as poker chips or game pieces and I follow this line of thinking. Others claim that buttons were too valuable to waste on turning them into poker chips during wartime. That may be true to a point but I surmise that the buttons weren't flattened during times of battle but rather at training outposts or other times when idle or just plain bored out of their minds.

I welcome any guesses and I'd also like to know if there are more of these buttons out there.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No photos, looks like the links have no hyper link....

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYONE??

dang!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but The pix are there for me! 4 of them...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYONE??

dang!

Tis strange... perhaps... it was a "code" between certain individuals... "the brotherhood of the bent button" :P

IF these are a "fluke"... then the odds of you finding 2 of them from totally different areas are like the odds of hitting the lotto.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tis strange... perhaps... it was a "code" between certain individuals... "the brotherhood of the bent button" :P

IF these are a "fluke"... then the odds of you finding 2 of them from totally different areas are like the odds of hitting the lotto.

The top two buttons were found by me in the same area of a field in Missouri. The other one was found by edlynne in Massachusetts so there's three known. I'm sure there's more out there.
And I'm in the 'gaming piece' camp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions