Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that post meaning his mother found the coin while removing the carpet, and still has it, so he has tested it with his detector.

You got that right. She bought a house built in 1927. It sat vacant for 30 years until her purchase in 2008. Rolling up the rug the coin was just sitting there. Shes kept it ever since. She had it looked at by a local coin shop. Not sure what it was graded at but estimated value was $900 at the time. I had to know what it rang up as cus how often can you have a test like that? And yes we searched everywhere in the house and that was the only one :laughing7:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garret AT gold and I'm not sure if it compares numbers wise to your 300 but most gold rings I have found were 46 and up to mid 50's although I air tested an 18K mans nugget ring at 64.I hope this helps.

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got that right. She bought a house built in 1927. It sat vacant for 30 years until her purchase in 2008. Rolling up the rug the coin was just sitting there. Shes kept it ever since. She had it looked at by a local coin shop. Not sure what it was graded at but estimated value was $900 at the time. I had to know what it rang up as cus how often can you have a test like that? And yes we searched everywhere in the house and that was the only one :laughing7:

Cool Story Bro! 8-)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the corners of the foundation. There was a period of time where they placed a gold coin in the foundation for good luck during construction. Kind of like breaking a bottle over the bow of a ship.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the corners of the foundation. There was a period of time where they placed a gold coin in the foundation for good luck during construction. Kind of like breaking a bottle over the bow of a ship.

Nothing but old wives tales! A Silver dollar, MAYBE... Gold, LOL

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even that would be maybe for the more well to do. In the 1880s a dollar was a days wages for a big portion of the population.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know. My Dad found a half eagle in the corner of the foundation of a large two story Victorian home. These large Victorian homes were owned by doctors, lawyers, business owners, and people that had struck it rich one way or another.

Someone told me that this was some sort of tradition. Could have just been a hiding place I guess.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins have long been connected to superstitions related to good fortune.
I think this goes back thousands of years and is true across all of the continents.

Might be a hint of truth in this old wives tale..

From an article on good luck charms used in Ireland...
16A8821B-9F83-4F85-A9AD-EAD888021DBA.jpeg

I'll check to see if the date on the coin matches the date the house was constructed..

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This post sparked my attention so I pulled out a few of mine to see how they rang up on the Equinox 800. The coins were laid separately on the ground so this was nothing more than an air test.

Coin Date VDI
$0.50 1860 3

$2.50 1925 15

$5.00 1881 18

$10.00 1888 21

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post sparked my attention so I pulled out a few of mine to see how they rang up on the Equinox 800. The coins were laid separately on the ground so this was nothing more than an air test.

Coin Date VDI
$1.00 1860 3

$2.50 1925 15

$5.00 1881 18

$10.00 1888 21

Your $1 VDI is different from all other test I have seen. Everyone else has been getting 10 / 11 IIRC. Maybe my memory is just bad. Any chance you can re-swing that one? In Park1 please and thank you. :icon_thumleft:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your $1 VDI is different from all other test I have seen. Everyone else has been getting 10 / 11 IIRC. Maybe my memory is just bad. Any chance you can re-swing that one? In Park1 please and thank you. :icon_thumleft:

Sorry, for the error. Typing too fast for my 71 year old brain to catch up! The coin was a very small California Gold 50 cent piece not $1.00 and I was using Field 1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins have long been connected to superstitions related to good fortune.
I think this goes back thousands of years and is true across all of the continents.

Might be a hint of truth in this old wives tale..

From an article on good luck charms used in Ireland...
View attachment 1763461

I'll check to see if the date on the coin matches the date the house was constructed..

Very interesting. Never heard that before but I have heard of people burying caches of silver coins underneath the cornerstone of their house and that sort of thing. I know someone who got a real good signal somewhere near (I think underneath but not sure) the corner of a house. Didn't dig though because he didn't want to dig so close to the foundation.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down south the story goes to bury a coin of the most value you have under the hearthstone for luck. There's one under mine...

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 2-1/2 dollar I found read like a shotgun shell normally does. I used the deus but don't like to state vdi numbers since there are so many different machines that use a different scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread