Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a couple gold coins. With my Deus, a 2 escudo Spanish coin range up as about "92" which is what silver comes in as. The Cibola nailed an English guinea and it has not meter! A $1 came in (if I remember right) in the mid range, sounded a lot like brass junk. If you want a gold coin, you have to dig all the brass and aluminum signals.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will be as many answers as there are models of metal detector.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a couple gold coins. With my Deus, a 2 escudo Spanish coin range up as about "92" which is what silver comes in as. The Cibola nailed an English guinea and it has not meter! A $1 came in (if I remember right) in the mid range, sounded a lot like brass junk. If you want a gold coin, you have to dig all the brass and aluminum signals.

Thanks for the comment smokey! How long between each gold coin you've found? Were the signals bouncy or pretty consistant usually?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The $1 was bouncy, the others solid. I found my first one in about 2011, whatever year Sandy came through.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! and I see from your banners they just kept a coming!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every last one was a surprise. I was not expecting gold to come out of the ground on every single gold item I have ever found.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been detecting long, but thats what it has been like almost every time I dug one of my better finds too!

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nickle band, remember its the curious that make good finds.....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold rings ring up in a huge range of target ID's since there are many shapes, sizes, and gold content. I had a 10k wedding band ring up as foil VDI -16 and a huge mens class ring rang up as a 54. You question is similar to what target ID rang do coins ring up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I had more I could use for reference. ;-) These are all on a Fisher F-75 (0 to 99 TDI scale)

$1 gold = 28 (tiny coin)

$2-1/2 gold = 52

$5 gold = 58

$10 gold = 65

If anyone cares to send a $3 or $20 gold coin I will add those results.

Note as reference a silver quarter typically reads between 79 and 85 depending on conditions and a Nickle reads 28 to 30.

Here's an interesting gold dollar. Much smaller than Lincoln Cents.
Copy of IM000555.JPG

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Charlie gave accurate numbers for an F75. Other detectors will also be all over the map. Rings, bracelets and chains will be even more so. Plus the chatter that makes it sound like under the eaves after a new roof. End the end, if you want to find gold, you have to dig everything.Time for more coffee.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me a $10 at 57, 58, a $5 on a Whites m6 at 47. The other two $5 was using older whites without meter. Never found 1 or two and one half or 20. Don't know. One small ladies 10k gold ring, remember that was 16-18 from two directions.....just a little less than a nickel.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank y'all. I think everyones got a different detector from me... but relative to the other things that y'all compared the Gold to I've got a good idea of what a gold coin would sound like... I wonder how many sites I'll have to pick clean before I find one.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an ace 250. no numbers on that one just the symbols up top. my mom found a 1842 us $2.5 coin under a rug in here house. still boggles my mind. rang up dead center on the pull tab mark. scanned a pull tab and of course it was the same signal. just have to dig everything. good luck to ya!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, thats an awesome find. I've got an ACE 300 so I would expect a similar signal.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For me a $10 at 57, 58, a $5 on a Whites m6 at 47. The other two $5 was using older whites without meter. Never found 1 or two and one half or 20. Don't know. One small ladies 10k gold ring, remember that was 16-18 from two directions.....just a little less than a nickel.

I also have the M6 not listed in my profile but it is a great gold machine. I've found several gold rinds with it. Several I've found ring up a solid 20. One was a size 6 wide women's wedding band. No I'd in the find. My F75 rang up to rings from 18 to 23. These are foil numbers but they were solid with no grunt on either side of the target.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an ace 250. no numbers on that one just the symbols up top. my mom found a 1842 us $2.5 coin under a rug in here house. still boggles my mind. rang up dead center on the pull tab mark. scanned a pull tab and of course it was the same signal. just have to dig everything. good luck to ya!

What? Most floors have all kinds of nails and copper wiring...what prompted her to detect the floor and how long had it been since the rug was cleaned?!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What? Most floors have all kinds of nails and copper wiring...what prompted her to detect the floor and how long had it been since the rug was cleaned?!

I was wondering...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread