ML Equinox 600 .. excited

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JG, similar situations, from somewhat 'toyish' detectors to the latest tech... :headbang:

in reality, folks seem to be still digging everything, so not sure what the new kit brings except more depth and sensitivity..?
From what i can see (youtube) the numbers are all over the place and sounds can be misleading enough...
Waterproof though.... hooray.

Let's see ...

I suggest ignoring anything you see on youtube. Read the manual, do some testing, use it and form your own opinion. Too many read biased "reviews" and come away with un-real expectations or worries.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi JG, similar situations, from somewhat 'toyish' detectors to the latest tech... :headbang:

in reality, folks seem to be still digging everything, so not sure what the new kit brings except more depth and sensitivity..?
From what i can see (youtube) the numbers are all over the place and sounds can be misleading enough...
Waterproof though.... hooray.

Let's see ...

Where it shines is where you can't dig everything..... from my limited experience.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it has arrived, finally. Equinox 600
Plugged into PC, updated software in a minute flat..
Registered with MineLab for warranty..
Now it charges.
Tomorrow the testing begins..
So far so good, plastics do look a bit thin..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
good Luck with the new machine! :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all for now. Forget air testing it. You'll like it.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First session with Nox this morning, seem to be just digging deeper rubbish...8-)
But i will learn the machine quickly..
I like Field 2 settings, good balance, worked out the ground balance and noise reduction, didn't bother with the threshold settings or the tones etc... yet
One thing i have noticed, the coil is so sensitive, even a small contatct with a twig or shrub sends a false signal, a good one too, 23 or 25... is this normal ??

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First session with Nox this morning, seem to be just digging deeper rubbish...8-)
But i will learn the machine quickly..
I like Field 2 settings, good balance, worked out the ground balance and noise reduction, didn't bother with the threshold settings or the tones etc... yet
One thing i have noticed, the coil is so sensitive, even a small contatct with a twig or shrub sends a false signal, a good one too, 23 or 25... is this normal ??

What sensitivity setting are you using? You may have to turn that down a bit.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What sensitivity setting are you using? You may have to turn that down a bit.

Could be sensitivity, i suppose ,but had it turned down to approx halfway, whatever that is, still got a falsie with every slight knock, more noticable on the left side, strangely.

In all honesty i find the Nox to be underwhelming so far... dodgy build, thin plastics, fussy settings, and now the coil with an exposed nerve..

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AstralDruid,

You can always touch bases with MineLab...Ask them about that "Exposed Nerve" aspect of the coil...(I.E. - Is this normal or is it just a setting related issue??)

Got-Good-Tones

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be sensitivity, i suppose ,but had it turned down to approx halfway, whatever that is, still got a falsie with every slight knock, more noticable on the left side, strangely.

In all honesty i find the Nox to be underwhelming so far... dodgy build, thin plastics, fussy settings, and now the coil with an exposed nerve..

Give it time. Ok to stick with your Field2 mode, but you will need to put in a lot of time, truly 100 hours of swinging, until all of the little “falsing” tones are filtered out in your brain. The ACE250, was simple to use, but a good machine. Put in the time, and you will become a better detectorist with the Nox, but unfortunately you will probably find less stuff for the first few months if you have the same learning curve as I did.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking on board all your comments, thanks. :thumbsup:
Will look at my set-up, make sure coil is correctly fitted and will wind the cable tighter. Hopefully this rids me of the falsies.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i rewound the cable and reduced sensitivity to 16, seems to have helped... but will depth not be sacraficed due to sensitivity drop ?? anyway we'll see... looking forward to next swing

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are noise cancelling with the coil off the ground correct?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you with the new Nox 600. Let us know what you think.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are noise cancelling with the coil off the ground correct?

yes, have the noise cancelling and ground balance more or less sorted... Not really sure what to be doing with the Iron bias and the threshold, so i just leave those alone, for now..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread