ML Equinox 600 .. excited

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read the manual and don't be afraid to experiment with the different tone settings, and modes. This will be like going from the little spaceship in front of the grocery store you used to ride for a quarter, to the cockpit of the Space Shuttle! Don't be overwhelmed, just relax and enjoy the experience!:skullflag:

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

i was so hesitant, the AT max , the XP ORX,, so many choices..... but i think it is time to jump into the future (eliminates the Max) with waterproof kit (eliminates the XP), so Minelab got the nod.
So now i can finally avoid all those annoying comparison videos...
Can i buy after market wireless headphones for the 600 ?? if so any recommendations ?
Also , is there a skid plate / coil protector in the box ??

Thanks again..

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You chose wisely. Yes, there should be a skid plate with the coil. There are several choices for wireless headphones and earbuds. I use the factory Minelab stuff, so, i have no experience with the aftermarket. I understand that one of the ones available is exactly like the Minelab ones, but, with a different sticker on it......and much cheaper moneywise.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The detector doesnt come with a manual, only a quick-start guide. Download and read the full user manual from the minelab website.

Heres my recommendations for newcomers...

Pick a mode that matches you hunting, and LEAVE IT ALONE.
dont worry about changing settings until you understand what the stock settings are doing and getting you.
Dont go changing settings until you have read the manual several times and fully understand what those changes are doing.
unless you live in an area known for bad ground mineralization, leave your ground balance alone. The ML multi-freq detectors easily handle normal ground minerals all on their own.
Cut the "cheat sheet" tab off the screen protector of the language you prefer and apply it separately.
Pick a ZAGG screen protector made for a tablet device, cut the film to match the full face of the equinox and apply that.
Plan on putting in 100 hours of use to get a TRUE feeling of detector responses. You have to dig A LOT of targets to understand how different situations and targets change the responses.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just went from an AT Pro to the Equinox 600. Put it in park 1 and take it to a park, it will feel like cheat mode on clad lol.

I bought a trond aptxll bluetooth receiver, and just use a pair of earbuds. Works great and is only $25.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for th tips and good will.

I will download the manual, and leave it in presets for the first few months.. Thinking of a kit i found on Ebay with shaft protectors and a screen protector

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/153633279778

links probably dead, but it is a camo kit..

Have also seen coil protectors with velcro attachments, big camo coil ? anyone use these ??

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the shaft covers, I just have a control head cover. If you hunt woods and brush the cloth shaft covers hang up in briars which is a pain. You don't need a cloth cover over your coil, will not really help anything.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for th tips and good will.

I will download the manual, and leave it in presets for the first few months.. Thinking of a kit i found on Ebay with shaft protectors and a screen protector

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/153633279778

links probably dead, but it is a camo kit..

Have also seen coil protectors with velcro attachments, big camo coil ? anyone use these ??

Unless you just like the look, the kit really doesn't help while detecting. It just makes the detector heavier, longer to change coils, and the screen harder to see. It's waterproof, so, no need for a rain cover. Just use the enclosed screen protector plastic film and go for it.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 600. I went from an ACE250 to the Nox as well. Stick with one mode at first (maybe Park1), don’t be afraid to lower sensitivity to reduce chatter. I always ran my A250 full throttle, lower sensitivity on the Nox, like 20, will actually make it easier to use and highlight good targets better. Get a pair of wireless headphones, as cheap as $20 bucks for earbuds. You will want to check out Tnets Equinox forum for guidance on which ones to buy. Give it time, it was a difficult transition for me. Good luck!

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 600. I went from an ACE250 to the Nox as well. Stick with one mode at first (maybe Park1), don’t be afraid to lower sensitivity to reduce chatter. I always ran my A250 full throttle, lower sensitivity on the Nox, like 20, will actually make it easier to use and highlight good targets better. Get a pair of wireless headphones, as cheap as $20 bucks for earbuds. You will want to check out Tnets Equinox forum for guidance on which ones to buy. Give it time, it was a difficult transition for me. Good luck!

I've often wondered if i was passing over good targets when using the ACE, the NEL coil certainly increased my finds, but that feeling of "there's probably more here" always lingering. When it arrives i'll do a day or two of sound and settings tests, and then cover some easy fields that i've already done with the Garrett... see what happens...
Damn this delivery is taking an absolute age !!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered if i was passing over good targets when using the ACE, the NEL coil certainly increased my finds, but that feeling of "there's probably more here" always lingering. When it arrives i'll do a day or two of sound and settings tests, and then cover some easy fields that i've already done with the Garrett... see what happens...
Damn this delivery is taking an absolute age !!!

Just remember, in-dirt responses are better than air tests, dont use air tests as a gauge for depth. The deepest and co-located targets wont be "perfect" responses, dig everything that seems to be responding over the exact same spot of ground. Iron falses will seem to make the target location jump around a few inches. Dig some of those to verify what is going on and then you can ignore them for the rest of time.

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your decision! Good luck on your adventures!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamie, I think you'll like it much more than what you had. I assume in Florida you'll go to the beach. Make sure it gets submerged sometime in the next few months to make sure yours stays tight and dry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, and your head may explode. Use a stock program with no tweaking at first and dig it all, just not to miss anything.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered the ML 600 bundle pack on Amazon going from a Bounty Hunter to this....

Hi JG, similar situations, from somewhat 'toyish' detectors to the latest tech... :headbang:

in reality, folks seem to be still digging everything, so not sure what the new kit brings except more depth and sensitivity..?
From what i can see (youtube) the numbers are all over the place and sounds can be misleading enough...
Waterproof though.... hooray.

Let's see ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread