8 days in Nevada, looking for gold...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My old friend, Dave , and I spent 8 days in Nevada last 2 weeks. Found no gold, but did find a new area to explore. I found a .44 Henry rimfire cartridge, my first, and two copper nuggets, my second and third. Dave found several round balls of various calibers, and of course, many spent bullets and other cartridges for both of us. We also found some really fresh lion tracks well out from the mountains on the valley floor about 40 miles west of Winnemucca. That was pretty interesting, as the tracks were made in dust, and were nearly perfect. Had to be made the night before. Probably a young cat trying to locate a decent place to set up a territory. Not much big game around, but lots of wild horses.
Jim

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a GREAT time!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We spent some time near Sawtooth. Dave was a superviser on Hicroft's big expansion several years ago, and knows the area. We were prospecting as much as nugget hunting. We camped two nights about 1 mile north of the old placer cabins north of Hicroft. Spent two days north of there in the canyons. Also spent part of a day at the quartz outcrop northeast of Sawtooth. Walked in quite a ways. Also spent a day in the area of the Lone Star off the Imlay Rd. Camped in there the first night, and hunted out away from the claimed area. Saw the lion tracks east of Lone Star on the other side of the valley near the guzzlers.
Also went down to Rye Patch, but decided to pass it up. Saw a couple of guys in the sand north of the river.
We also spent a couple of nights at the gravel pit east of the Golden Eagle, and Yellowjacket. Found some interesting crystals there. Then we headed over to northeastern Nevada to poke around. Decided we liked that area, and will be going back next year, God willing.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a GREAT time!:occasion14:

Yes, Terry, it was. Dave and I have been close friends since high school. Started a business together and ran it for many years. Eventually as we aged, we couldn't do the heavy labor anymore and let it die. He went to work as a supervisor for a big construction outfit that does mainly concrete work in the mines and gas fields. I started another company, and we didn't spend any time together for about 15 years. Now we're both retired and have resumed our friendship. We went to Winnemucca in June, and back again last week. We're trying to find a spot to spend nugget hunting time in that's closer to home. We're now working on northeast Nevada, and northwest Utah border country. It's going to be fun as long as we're fit for the mountains. We do pretty good for a couple of old vets at 70.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread