Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

I am relatively new to this hobby.. and i love it... i get a buzz when i go detecting, i tend to dig most targets as i am not good enough to tell the good from the bad so my stash bag can be pretty ugly...
What has struck me recently, is the amount of rubbish, i am finding it hard to believe that folks really just dump stuff everywhere ? WTF is going on ??
I live in a picturesque little village, forests, streams , valleys and little lakes, it is pretty consevative here, right on the France/Switzerland border, everything is clean and proper, the streets are clean, everyone keeps their own little part up to very high standards... but start detecting and a different story emerges.
Trash everywhere, even far from paths and areas of pic-nics or whatever.... I have recently uncovered about a third of a Tractor, (an actual farmer's tractor, looks like an old John Deere), not far away i found tyres, the metal in the inner bands gave me a great reading.. and then last weekend, very far into the forest, pristine environment, i get a nice solid tone 24 on the Nox, and i dig up a tube of mustard at 10 inches.... what on earth is going on ???..
We are a very dirty species... disgraceful :cross:

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just some examples of trashy hunts - I use a lot of these pictures when I hear of towns or
states thinking of banning detecting - they have helped in stopping a few votes
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911.html
most of this is from water hunts
[/FONT]

Digger79

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2017
S.F. Bay Area
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's pretty simple. People suck. Just look at all the sea life showing up dead with literally 100lbs of plastic(whale) in their guts. 7.5 billion people equals lots of garbage.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here in Michigan, we pay a $.10 deposit on cans and bottles when we purchase our favorite beverages. I wish they would change it to $.25! It wouldn't deter the useless litterbugs from throwing their cans and bottles on the ground, but I could quickly and easily pay for more fishing or detecting equipment by picking up after them!

The Michigan bottle bill took effect in December 1978, it actually took awhile for lots of people to get in board with saving them and returning them for deposit...some never did.
I remember going to the first concert of the year in June 1979 at the Pine Knob Amphitheatre, now called the DTE Music Center, it was Marshall Tucker and Pure Prairie League together.
Both bands are still touring, by the way, 40 years later.
If you didn't have an actual seat under the roof part you sat on the huge grassy mountain that rose up from behind the seats in an area I assume they still call "The Hill", as I was leaving after the concert I noticed there was a sea of cans and bottles all over the place.
Some saw trash, I saw money.
I was prepared because I thought this would happen so I took out a couple of garbage bags I brought with me and started crushing and then gathering up all the cans I came across.
Some bottles but they were heavy and I had plenty of cans to choose from, anyway.
Nobody that worked at that venue stopped me, I guess they were just happy someone was helping to clean up the place.
Can't remember exactly how much I cleared but it was definitely enough to pay for my ticket and probably a few others after that.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AstralDruid, Totally with you on this. I mainly hunt heavily used areas that people gather for recreation. These are sought after vacation destinations known for their beauty. The surface areas are usually well maintained and picked up by public workers. But start detecting and in some areas I've been it is literally impossible to do so because of the litter! It's disgraceful. I'll never understand how people who would spend so much money out of pocket to visit these beautiful scenic destinations, then go about just trashing the place without a care in the world. I've had more than one conversation with individuals I'd observed throwing trash on the ground. And I'm proud to say, I had the pleasure as a police officer, to make several individuals, pay for their disgraceful actions!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AstralDruid, Totally with you on this. I mainly hunt heavily used areas that people gather for recreation. These are sought after vacation destinations known for their beauty. The surface areas are usually well maintained and picked up by public workers. But start detecting and in some areas I've been it is literally impossible to do so because of the litter! It's disgraceful. I'll never understand how people who would spend so much money out of pocket to visit these beautiful scenic destinations, then go about just trashing the place without a care in the world. I've had more than one conversation with individuals I'd observed throwing trash on the ground. And I'm proud to say, I had the pleasure as a police officer, to make several individuals, pay for their disgraceful actions!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep think of all the trash everyone in the planet uses a day and we put it right back into the earth it cant leave the earth. Good we have recycling and 10cent return on bottles and cans its a start. Keep picking it up thats what we do.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Michigan bottle bill took effect in December 1978, it actually took awhile for lots of people to get in board with saving them and returning them for deposit...some never did.
I remember going to the first concert of the year in June 1979 at the Pine Knob Amphitheatre, now called the DTE Music Center, it was Marshall Tucker and Pure Prairie League together.
Both bands are still touring, by the way, 40 years later.
If you didn't have an actual seat under the roof part you sat on the huge grassy mountain that rose up from behind the seats in an area I assume they still call "The Hill", as I was leaving after the concert I noticed there was a sea of cans and bottles all over the place.
Some saw trash, I saw money.
I was prepared because I thought this would happen so I took out a couple of garbage bags I brought with me and started crushing and then gathering up all the cans I came across.
Some bottles but they were heavy and I had plenty of cans to choose from, anyway.
Nobody that worked at that venue stopped me, I guess they were just happy someone was helping to clean up the place.
Can't remember exactly how much I cleared but it was definitely enough to pay for my ticket and probably a few others after that.
Yep the Hill is still there lol crazy allthe bands still touring the last few years Rush Stones ZZ Top ACDC if you told me that back in the 80s I would have thought you were crazy lol

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There should be a class that starts at kindergarten for every human that's titled, "Don't Litter, Here's Why". Unfortunately, there are still those that don't get it. I like to trout fish on beautiful streams here in Michigan. The only thing I carry out at the end of the day is all the trash left by the people that float down the river. Even had to carry out a full case of empty beer bottles once. Guess the case must be a lot heavier when the bottles are empty!

A class in kindergarten? They had them back in 1952 when I was in the first grade and everyone in the school received a paper that said "Don't be a litterbug". They handed them things out every year in the schools until I was in the 7th grade. Apparently very few of those people took the lesson seriously.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread