Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

I am relatively new to this hobby.. and i love it... i get a buzz when i go detecting, i tend to dig most targets as i am not good enough to tell the good from the bad so my stash bag can be pretty ugly...
What has struck me recently, is the amount of rubbish, i am finding it hard to believe that folks really just dump stuff everywhere ? WTF is going on ??
I live in a picturesque little village, forests, streams , valleys and little lakes, it is pretty consevative here, right on the France/Switzerland border, everything is clean and proper, the streets are clean, everyone keeps their own little part up to very high standards... but start detecting and a different story emerges.
Trash everywhere, even far from paths and areas of pic-nics or whatever.... I have recently uncovered about a third of a Tractor, (an actual farmer's tractor, looks like an old John Deere), not far away i found tyres, the metal in the inner bands gave me a great reading.. and then last weekend, very far into the forest, pristine environment, i get a nice solid tone 24 on the Nox, and i dig up a tube of mustard at 10 inches.... what on earth is going on ???..
We are a very dirty species... disgraceful :cross:

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what do you do with all that trash / rubbish ?

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what do you do with all that trash / rubbish ?

Whatever i can carry, i take home and dispose of properly.
The bigger stuff i contact the relevant authorities to try and get it removed..
Is a drop in the ocean,,, but where does the drop end and the ocean begin ?

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a public boat ramp I like to go to near me but the ground is absolutely so littered that it's hard to determine where one beeps ends and another begins. You actually dont need a detector, just a shovel and a sifting screen. I like it there because you can dig a lot of clad but I've stopped going because of so much trash. Its actually pitiful.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trash can be your enemy, but to be successful, we must turn it into our friend. The trick to doing that is location. Research older areas and what was trash hundreds of years ago is now treasure and can be quite valuable.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
As th old saying goes: " One man's trash is another man's treasure"

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a class that starts at kindergarten for every human that's titled, "Don't Litter, Here's Why". Unfortunately, there are still those that don't get it. I like to trout fish on beautiful streams here in Michigan. The only thing I carry out at the end of the day is all the trash left by the people that float down the river. Even had to carry out a full case of empty beer bottles once. Guess the case must be a lot heavier when the bottles are empty!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be a class that starts at kindergarten for every human that's titled, "Don't Litter, Here's Why". Unfortunately, there are still those that don't get it. I like to trout fish on beautiful streams here in Michigan. The only thing I carry out at the end of the day is all the trash left by the people that float down the river. Even had to carry out a full case of empty beer bottles once. Guess the case must be a lot heavier when the bottles are empty!

And the worst part is...

Everyone who saw you leaving that day with that empty case thought to themselves... "sheesh what a drunk... he drank all those before noon".

:P

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BEST places to hunt especially for old stuff is farm fields where a house stood a long time ago and no one used it since, except for farming.

There is always farm trash there, but since it's not in a convenient woods where people dump a lot of their stuff, it's a lot cleaner in generaly.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're on the trash subject... i think condom/Sheath makers should have a hard :tongue3: look at themselves... These things need to be made of something that dissolves more quickly and the wrapper should not be foil.... the amount of used ones put back into the foil and chucked is unbelievable..and not a nice find.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wait for the places you will find an aluminum can... it's really incredible considering they have been around for < 100 years.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we're on the trash subject... i think condom/Sheath makers should have a hard :tongue3: look at themselves... These things need to be made of something that dissolves more quickly and the wrapper should not be foil.... the amount of used ones put back into the foil and chucked is unbelievable..and not a nice find.

:/

"Packed for freshness"

Hmmm dissolve... not too quickly I hope... package say something like "once open you have one hour to use".

The cheaper "Quick dissolves" (made in China of course) would say... "once open you have five minutes to safely use".

:P

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to mankind. Then you find your first $10k gold ring and that all goes out the window.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

same goes for some chocolate brand that makes the chocolate pieces look like gold coins and wrapped in thick foil. A park recreation field I hunt is littered with those. They have competition games for kids and give them these chocolate/foil coins as a prize. Well you know what the kids do. Unwrap, eat and drop foil.

You know the environmental groups seem to be so worried about plastic waste, but never seem to ever have a campaign about pull tabs, pop tops, screw tops and foil.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trash holds the treasure , I dig my best finds in trashy areas , wide open woods with very few signals gave up the goods years ago. I also do well in the poison ivy and briar patch

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is pretty sad what people do the environment. At least there’s people like you to clean up after the messy ones.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im in Thailand right now, this place is a 3rd world trashpit, in the Chao Praya river behind my hotel i can count the plastic trash bogs floating down the river from the 11th floor dining area, these folks just dont give a s.....t...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Michigan, we pay a $.10 deposit on cans and bottles when we purchase our favorite beverages. I wish they would change it to $.25! It wouldn't deter the useless litterbugs from throwing their cans and bottles on the ground, but I could quickly and easily pay for more fishing or detecting equipment by picking up after them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread