V3i

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the V3i still relevant? I've an itch to update my DFX that keeps bringing me back. The updated CUT is is a second.

I can get a good deal on a used XP Deus but frankly don't like the design concept.. Likewise the
Minelabs. Both are just opposite of what I would look for in key areas.

Aside from the user interface I don't know the V3i offers $1300 worth of differences from my DFX. And the F75 construction looks as if there may be later issues. Thoughts please?

I

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well 209 views and 0 responses says something I guess...

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my V3i and believe it is still one of the more capable machines on the market. I've never had/used the DFX so I can't offer any insight as to the differences between the two. I have seen used V3i's come up for sale. It seems they range from $600 to $800.

Knowing what I know about my V3i, I'd buy a new one if I didn't have one already.

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V3i is an awesome machine and would highly recommend. The machine gives good depth and solid VDI readings...I have an extra one if you would like to get it a try. Key to the machine is a solid ground balance.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Equinox and sold it for a really good deal on a V3i. It is a very good metal detector but it has some flaws in comparison to what is available today. It is multi-freq and you can see what each freq is doing and it has an a nice XY screen that is accurate to approx 6-7" which makes it very good at "making educated guesses when coin shooting". The color screen and programming was way ahead of its time and still is in some regards.

However - Its a battery hog, slow processor by today standards and very heavy. The biggest issue I noticed was the weight and I did a lot of testing in the iron and found that it could separate well if you lowered recovery but it was really no better than my Whites MX5 which is about 1/4 the cost and much easier to use.

I sold the V3i and got an XP ORX (an even lighter version of the DEUS without some of the advanced features) - The ORX in terms of weight, ease of use, separation & unmasking are far superior to the V3i IMO
As far as depth goes the Equinox was probably a little better than both the ORX and V3i on a US Quarter but they are all within an inch or two. The Equinox with the 6" coil is the best in the iron but that is to be expected with such a small coil

If your a loyal whites guy take a look at the MX7 if you don't plan on going underwater. If you want a light machine that is easy to use I really like the XP machines. I do have to remember to charge my headphones and/or keep a backup wired headset in the truck

With the Deus I don't really mess with the settings much I can pretty much turn it on select my program and go. My Whites MX5 still has the 5.3 coil on it but is collecting dust as my backup.

Sorry I didn't see your post before. Good luck and HH

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having been a whites man for many years I've noticed some key points. XLT was a great detector. DFX was ok and V3i was really good. The V3i got so worn down Whites gave my a brand new one for free. I've used Excalibur in the water for many years and works great. I sold the DFX, V3i, and GMT for a simple machine. More expensive does not always make it better. I switched to a Fisher F75. I mostly search heavy iron infested early sites in good ground and basically use either all metal or 2 tone settings. No color screen, no wireless headphones, just fast ground balance and go. It takes a long time to master the complicated detectors and most do not find deeper better targets. It's mostly style and persistence. If I had to do it over Id stick with F75 and master it.

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my v3i. I also hunt with a nox 800 and just recently picked up a gpx 4500, tho I haven't used it yet. I don't really understand the lack of love for the v3i. It is a phenomenal detector.
It takes a bit of time to learn but is an awesome machine.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 V3I's (long story). Im selling one of them to buy the Equinox 800 which will probably become my primary machine. Have found amazing things with the V3I but frankly it doesn't need to be as complicated as it is. Everything on it is customizable. That may sound good but when you stop finding the goods and others around you are ripping things out of the ground, you begin to wonder if your selected settings that worked well in one place but are working against you here and now. Its a 10 year old machine. Its one of the few multifrequency machines out there. It is not waterproof / resistant. if you are looking for a better machine and want to save some money, get the Equinox 800.

OP
OP
D

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to beat a dead horse but I just found a comparison of the DFX features to the V3I and am not overwhelmed. Most of the V3I new features (other than the addition frequency) are in the tonal and graphics mods - nice to have - and do not include some key DFX features (sweep speed adjustment, DC Phase, etc. Making me wonder if the ~1K cost is worth it... comparison.GIF

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each their own I guess but I see some huge differences. V3I has TX Boost, a third frequency, Frequency Offset, and a display. To me these are huge differences. It certainly warrants a higher price tag but given how the Equinox 800 is $850, its time for Whites to lower their prices and to come out with a Waterproof V3I killer. It has been 10 years. They are due.

Not to beat a dead horse but I just found a comparison of the DFX features to the V3I and am not overwhelmed. Most of the V3I new features (other than the addition frequency) are in the tonal and graphics mods - nice to have - and do not include some key DFX features (sweep speed adjustment, DC Phase, etc. Making me wonder if the ~1K cost is worth it... View attachment 1776386

JethrowClampett

Greenie
Oct 7, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra 3Vi, Whites MX Sport, Whites TDI, Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is the V3i relevant ? What other detector transmits and reads 3 different frequencies at the same time ? "Beside the user interface" show me an graphics interface that will separate and show 3 Coins at the same time in three different frequencies (yes I swept 3 coins and each showed up on the graphics interface at the same time - 3 humps. Show me a true wireless headphones without any wires. The V3I is a long term investment, continues to improve by simply updating the software. If you want to invest, I recommend the wireless headphones and the added 13" coil package (fall package). 9 different presents and unlimited modifications is it still relevant ? I studied the offerings and bought one, no regrets - this is a lifetime machine.

Last edited:

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id still the the nox 800 with its 5 frequencies. The V3I is a long term investment. The problem is how much treasure is missed because the rookie doesn't know how to use the machine? There is no learning curve with the box 800. IS whites still supporting software upgrades for the V3I? I thought I heard they lost their lead developer.

o2findit

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i have been detecting since 1977 and over the years i have used many detectors. I bought the v3 in 2009 and had it back to Whites for the v3i update. What a company excellent pr and service is absolutely fantastic. As for the the learning curve it does take some time to master it. but o boy what a detector.

Its all in the programing and using the right mode to make the detector excell. For gold jewellery correllate spam and frequency offset and a few other settings and you have some incredible data on your targets. Here in Australia aluminium screw caps land on our $1 & $2 coins with the program i have even with the screw caps showing the same vdi you will get a different tone on the caps compared to the coins.

At 81 its my go to detector cause i know exactly what it telling me. and it has so many ways of programing for the same results.

The nox has not got enough breaks in its vdis and to us ozzies STILL GETTING cent pieces in with $1 & $2 coins is going back in the arc.

It will have to be Someting of a real big jump in technology for me to make a change. The macro 3 frequency detector which is coming down the track could have a big change to the way all beepas tackle detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread