Detecting in Mexico?

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello all! I find myself lucky enough to be going to a 5-star Mexican resort near Cancun for my 50th! It's called the Valentin Imperial Maya.

I've never taken my detector on travels before so I'm wondering does anyone have experience doing this? Can I get into Mexico with this thing in my checked luggage? Am I gonna get shot on the beach?

Any tips or can this be done? Thanks a lot for your help! Happy Huntng!

-CanadianTrout.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of people detect the tourist beaches in Mexico. I would think twice or three times about hunting coins and artifacts away from the beaches though. Most folks take their detectors in their carry on luggage. Your Ace will be fine in dry sand but will not be very useful in the wet sand or water.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been several years, but I used to take my detector as a carry on to Mexico. I only detected the resort beaches but I had no troubles at all with anyone. Good Luck!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of months ago I spent a week at an all inclusive resort in Cabo. I initially had all intentions on taking my detector, but after I started thinking about it I ended up just leaving it at home. Frankly I’m glad I did. Between the connecting flights, customs, TSA, the shuttle to the resort, etc, it would have been more hassle than it was worth. Our room opened up to the beach and there was plenty of sand to detect, but what really would I find? A few various coins and at most a ring? For me it was just not worth lugging around hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. It’s just my two cents, but leave your detector at home for the Mexico trip.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my Ace250 to Mexico a year ago. It was in my checked bag, disassembled and wrapped in the center of my bag. Used it once on the beach while i was there. There was so much else to do while down there. A 10 peso coin was prob my best find. Usual garbage and pull tabs. Good luck!

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey all! Thanks for your replies. I'm bringing my detector as it will fit into my luggage and I'm not lugging around hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. I use an ACE250 thats close to 10 years old. I'm just a part time amateur! lol If it gets confiscated or busted in the trip I guess that's my excuse to upgrade! :)

It's a matter of perspective too.... one reply indicated what i might find on the hotel beach... "A few various coins and at most a ring?" YUP! That's exactly what i'm after. I want the sand between my toes, sun on my face, a cold cerveza in one hand and my trusty ACE in the other. Oh man, i'm really gonna pick up the ladies aren't I... lmao.

Thanks again everyone!

Trout

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm taking mine to Mexico in the spring. Just took a work trip from Toronto to Vancouver a few weeks ago and took it there too. My sand scoop comes apart and just fits into my check in luggage. I have an ATPro. I took the coil and the head unit off and took them in the carry on and put the disassembled shaft into the checked luggage. I also packed the manual in the carry on in case they asked about it. Didn't get any questions and I figure that if anything goes missing from the checked luggage then it is the cheap and easy to replace parts.

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ya good idea on the possible replacement parts and bringing the manual zombie! My detector is so old not sure if I have it lol! Hey i see you're in Guelph bro... we're neighbours! I'm in Kitchener. :) take care!

Trout

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not too far at all, hit me up in the spring. I like to head to Sauble or Wasaga sometimes early mornings on the weekends for a few hours.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEXICO FINDS
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you leave anything at all for us Casper-2 ???
:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you leave anything at all for us Casper-2 ???
:thumbsup:
actually I was told there was a group of guys there a week or 2 before me - most of those finds were down deep or wedged in large rocks where
I had to dive under with my mask and fan out - most guys don't wear masks that I know of - though think more may now because of me...
they got a lot of the easy ones - I worked for most of ones I got
the coral encrusted one has to be old - coral seldom can form on gold but that one was in the dead reef in a small hole made by an urchin - the coral was
actually alive in that pick - it has turned white now and I have left it as is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread