AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, you have a spot, you have been a few times, found some nice stuff, but you are sure there is more...
What way do you go about it..?
Just looking for opinions on whether or not to spend a day on a single frequency ? maybe 10khz..
Just keep pounding in different directions ?
Switch search modes for a day ? (use F2 usually)
Wait for different forest floor conditions ?
Using equinox 600.

It's a steep slope in a deciduous forest, lots of autumn leaves at the minute, i just know it has so much to reveal. ???

Any advice is welcome.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grid a site in multiple directions, i.e. north to south, east to west and then at a 45 degree angle. I also go back over the trashier areas with a 5"DD coil.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Go rent a Bobcat and take the top 6” of soil off. It will be like a whole new site. Jk...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And there ya have it:laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit it after a good rain...

Something I've done before but I do hunt in the water. Is mining, digging random holes in the sand, in the water at sites I knew there were good stuff deep. Have found silver like that before, no gold.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What effect does heavy rain have ?? better wave vibes in the wet soil ? ... interested

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rake off a 3-meter x 4-meter rectangle. Start at one end, and lay a string or rope across the width of the rectangle to mark off a .5 - meter strip, detect both ways, rinse and repeat. Damp, wet soil, can give you more depth in NEUTRAL to MILD soils, because water enhances conductivity in the soil, allowing the signal to go deeper than in dry soil.:skullflag:

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rake off a 3-meter x 4-meter rectangle. Start at one end, and lay a string or rope across the width of the rectangle to mark off a .5 - meter strip, detect both ways, rinse and repeat. Damp, wet soil, can give you more depth in NEUTRAL to MILD soils, because water enhances conductivity in the soil, allowing the signal to go deeper than in dry soil.:skullflag:

Superb..
This is the info that only comes with experience.
Thanks guys

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
What effect does heavy rain have ?? better wave vibes in the wet soil ? ... interested

It changes the conductivity of the soil. It’s all a melange or moisture, salt and mineral content of the soil and how it changes the magnetic field of the object.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roots from trees and brush WILL hide your goodies, so be persistent, determined to get the gold!
Going for depth? Use zero discrimination, high sensitivity and (10kHz?), digging everything,
should be rewarding...!

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice folks..:icon_thumright:

The area in question has a lot of shrubs/trees,is a steep bank with caves either side, just feels right,, rocky at 6 inches too, which seems to have acted as a trap for stuff...it's gonna give, it's gotta give up it's secrets...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grid a site in multiple directions, i.e. north to south, east to west and then at a 45 degree angle. I also go back over the trashier areas with a 5"DD coil.

100% agree with Loco and slow down and don't be afraid to dig those iffy signals. A nail will most likely be sitting next to a keeper!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that there are fewer targets, I'd get the BIG coil and grid the area again. Like Terry mentioned, bring a garden rake with you and take off as much loose ground cover as you can easily do.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the Equinox you can go to Field2 and lower the sensitivity to 15. Go slow and keep coil low. Amazing what pops out with this “sifting” technique.

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the low sensitivity? I hunt in field 2 a lot, but typically run the sensitivity as high as I can without crazy chatter. Just wondering if this is something I should be trying. : )

I revisit a lot of my hot spots in the spring when the weeds are all dead and knocked down and a lot of times I find more. That depends what your site is like though, a lot of the old home sites I've hunted are pretty weedy in the summer/fall.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why the low sensitivity? I hunt in field 2 a lot, but typically run the sensitivity as high as I can without crazy chatter. Just wondering if this is something I should be trying. : )

I revisit a lot of my hot spots in the spring when the weeds are all dead and knocked down and a lot of times I find more. That depends what your site is like though, a lot of the old home sites I've hunted are pretty weedy in the summer/fall.

When i first bought the Nox I ran sensitivity as high as possible, 24/25. Similar to my old beep and dig machine. Eventually learned that the high sensitivity masked out a lot of the deep good targets. Ended up settling on Park1 and 21 as my standard sensitivity. Then my quality finds Increased substantially. If there is a high potential site with lots of iron, typical 1800’s homesite around me, I will do a hunt where I lower sensitivity down to 15 and switch to Field2 and it has been great for finding more shallow midtones that were masked by iron with the higher sensitivity. Or keep Park1 and lower sensitivity to 15 and try for that partially masked hightone. (Similar effect to using sniper coil)

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, i have been running Field 2 with sensitivity around 16.. Even when correctly ground balanced and noise cancelled, i can't be doing with the chatter around 20 sensitivity. Freaks me out.
Is recovery speed affecting my depth ? i put it to 3 (nox 600) ...
Must get the bigger coil..only have the stock rims at the minute.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, i have been running Field 2 with sensitivity around 16.. Even when correctly ground balanced and noise cancelled, i can't be doing with the chatter around 20 sensitivity. Freaks me out.
Is recovery speed affecting my depth ? i put it to 3 (nox 600) ...
Must get the bigger coil..only have the stock rims at the minute.

I think recovery speed 2 (600) provides easier to comprehend tones for general purposes. Depth is not effected adversely for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread