Any good ways to clean unidentifiable colonial coppers?

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
I found a few coppers that have become super corroded from acidic New England soils. Have y'all had any success at cleaning/identifying toasted coppers with no detail left on em? I'm thinkin of soaking the coppers in hydrogen peroxide for a day, but I'm not sure if it'll do much.

Upvote 0

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, keep in mind, whatever you do to the coin, you can never undo. If you decide to clean it, be prepared to wish you hadn't. All this said, I think Andres pencils are the best way to go. Electrolysis doesn't work on coppers. Post a picture of what you found. Id like to see it.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I don't find coppers here in Florida, I have noticed that most who do find worn out ones tend to rely on what little info they can see from shining a flashlight across the surface of the coin at a sharp close angle, then take note of bust contours and what letters may be discernible. There may be one little hint that will identify the copper.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also try using a couple drops of heavy cream or half and half on an oil less toasted copper. Let sit for a bit as the heavy cream separates.
You may start to see some details without damage to the coin.
Don’t put too much cream on the coin, just enough to cover without overflowing or spilling over the edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fossils

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies so far!
Here’s one copper: E496569A-AB55-4EB4-9B9D-7FF6D4493F05.jpeg
80FF735A-06BF-4050-959B-1EE5E2D10BCA.jpeg

Sometimes I think I can see the outline of a bust on one side, but I might just be imagining things ??? The other side is completely wiped. I figure there’s nothing to loose experimenting on it since its pretty much toast right now :dontknow:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes the most details a toasty copper will ever reveal is when it is first wiped of dirt and the temporary verdigris carries the lost detail. Yours is most likely a colonial KG coin. Sometimes you can smooth off the crust (with scotch brite pad) and recover a faint raised bust facing left or right. Sometimes this method just takes it from toasty to ugly.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have learned in the last few years is removing the dirt can be the worst thing you can do to a toasted copper. Fluids also tend to kill them. Use toothpics or the Andre's pencils. Go slow.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have learned in the last few years is removing the dirt can be the worst thing you can do to a toasted copper. Fluids also tend to kill them. Use toothpics or the Andre's pencils. Go slow.

Guys,..... I have a question.

On a clapped out coin that you,...well actually, want clean.
A gentle slow clean that affects the parent material in no way what so ever.

Has anyone used tumbling or vibratory finishing with maybe walnut shells, no rouge.
Or something even more gentle,..... wood chips, it would take some trying.

The time you let it run in the machine is the one thing.
The other is "wet or dry",.....
The next other is what media.

Or, use one media for 5 hours,.....
Have a look at the piece, maybe let it run some more,....
Maybe change out the media for an even finer / gentler media.

And let that run for whatever,....

After you done a few, you would get a feel for "more time", "add water", "change media".

You have to clean the media every so often.
It gets dirty, the water, if you are using water, will turn black.

Anyone ever gave gentle tumbling / vibratory finishing a try for cleaning up these kinda coins?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread