I need an acreage estimate from the map experts!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have permission to hunt the 400 acres of property that this farm lies on. I am trying to compare this with old maps to see if I can locate foundations. The problem is, I have no way of knowing where the property stops. So assuming the farm is in the center of the property, would you guys be able to estimate how big the 400 acres is? If not, can you tell me how many acres are in this photo? Take a look at the photo and see if you guys can help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

• Chas Farm2.JPG
    Chas Farm2.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An American football field, 360 feet by 160 feet, is about 1.3 acres
http://www.sizes.com/units/acre.htm
You might be able to get a rough estimate from this page..Looks like a lot of land to hunt...HH

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
The square in this Google Earth image represents approximately 1 square mile (It does not look square because it is a 3D image)
One Square mile is 640 acres.
GE 1.jpg
Nice looking farm ;)
Farm.JPG
HH,
Donny

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Looking at this, the northwest corner of the field is 4200 +'- from Rt 73......the side of a 400 acre square. The east looks to be a stream? south Rt 73, North ????? THIS IS NO SURVEY BY ANY MEANS.......JUST AN OPINION FROM SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE BIDDING SURVEYS FROM ARIELS. If you seek further assistance PM me. Though, this is in WV where I have seen some troubling survey property descriptions. If you have a deed that would be a good start. DON'T RELY ON GIS, THEY CANNOT FIND THEIR WAY ON THE GROUND, THOUGH THEY LIKE TO THINK SO.

Chuck
Survey Party Chief

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread