What Detector do i need if i only want to dig up gold but no other metals ?

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My recent experiences of Gold Nugget searching with a borrowed detector include a lot of digging out old junk like nails, bits of cans or little iron pieces.

I want to buy my own metal detector.

Is there a metal detector that can be adjusted so it only gives a signal if it's gold and remains silent if it is any other metal ? So i only dig up gold, and don't waste energy and time to dig up other stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
. . . . If there is a model that has special capabilities which can be used to reduce the digging out of junk, and increase the chance of it being gold, then that's the model i need.

I'm aware now that there is no detector that only gives a signal for gold. But if there is a detector that is especially ideal for gold nugget searching, then that is what i need.

these 2 are in contradiction, reread what has been posted

for gold - a GPX 7000 (whatever the latest), and you WILL have to dig every single signal
I just passed on a creek, with gold, due to the generations old barbed wire fence running through it

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said before, i'm now aware that there is no detector that sorts out trash. The question now is which detector i need.

I'm not interested to dig out super small pieces of gold. At some point it's not worth the effort and time. So maybe a high frequency detector isn't necessary for me then.

GPX 7000 costs 8000 dollars. that's way too much. i only want to spend maximum 1000.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On what planet?

Not on this one!

Gold is a "Lousy" conductor.

And you grouped it in with the the three best conductors we have.

When you see a gold plated TV tuner, or other electronic plugs, pins, jack, or socket,...
It's there because of it's "Non-Corrosive" properties.
Under the gold plate is copper or silver.
Gold is thrown on only because it will non tarnish.
It stays bright.

That is why gold seekers use machines that are sensitive to,......

"Low Conductive Targets"

The reason I stated what I did is because I backed it up with proof.

Next time read the attachment...

https://www.thebalance.com/electrical-conductivity-in-metals-2340117

Now, scroll down to the chart titled, "Conductivity, Resistivity of Metals" and look at the top five. Gold is a better conductor than Aluminum. I already know that Gold is a Noble metal and doesn't oxidize.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Orx will do it under $1000. You can go with something cheaper like a Garrett Ace 400 or the Minelab Vanquish, but I would get the ORx. You won't grow out of it in 6 months.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're only interested in hunting for gold nuggets, I would recommend you get a dry washer or sluice depending on your terrain and water availability. Current detector technology won't isolate gold out of all the other metals. As mentioned, your best bet for detecting small gold is one that operates on a high frequency. The drawback is that high frequency doesn't penetrate the ground as deeply as low frequency. You're still going to dig trash targets that mimic gold readings regardless of which detector you get.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On what planet?

Not on this one!

Gold is a "Lousy" conductor.

And you grouped it in with the the three best conductors we have.

When you see a gold plated TV tuner, or other electronic plugs, pins, jack, or socket,...
It's there because of it's "Non-Corrosive" properties.
Under the gold plate is copper or silver.
Gold is thrown on only because it will non tarnish.
It stays bright.

That is why gold seekers use machines that are sensitive to,......

"Low Conductive Targets"

Not sure where you got that but gold is a very good conductor.

Note: In general, metals with high electrical conductivity also have high thermal conductivity

5 Most Conductive Metals

Silver — Consequently, silver in terms of conductivity does not take 2nd place. As a result, silver is by far the most conductive metal on Earth. This is because silver only has one valence electron. In addition, this single electron is free to move around with little resistance. As a result, metals like silver and copper are a few of the metals with this particular characteristic. That is why they are great electric and thermal conductors.

Copper — In conclusion, copper like silver, only has one valence electron which makes this metal very conductive. Therefore, one of the more popular commercial applications is the coating of high-end cookware and kitchen appliances.

Gold — Overall, the list is limited and that is a primary reason (other than its rarity) why this material is so expensive. In addition, the combination of gold’s resistance to corrosion and its conductivity make this metal an extremely valuable resource used in large amount of industrial industries.

Aluminum — Overall, is an excellent metal conductor. This feature, in addition to its low density and high resistance to corrosion, makes this metal perfect for the aeronautic and communication (transmissions) industries.

Zinc/Brass — Although these metals are much less conductive than their four counterparts. These metals are often less expensive and economical replacements when applicable.

So there you have it — The 5 Most Conductive Metals on Earth!
5 Most Conductive Metals on Earth

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
is it being stated that conductivity is synonymous with a material's response to an induced field ?
I believe it is a bit more complex

edit: complex permeability
I suspect mass and shape are as important

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Orx will do it under $1000. You can go with something cheaper like a Garrett Ace 400 or the Minelab Vanquish, but I would get the ORx. You won't grow out of it in 6 months.

What's the advantage of the XP Orx over the other two cheaper options you mention ? It is more expensive, so is there a reason why ? is it better ? Why is it better ?

That GPX 7000 cost around 8000 dollars. Why is it so much more expensive ? What can it do better than the others ? What's different on that detector compared to others ?

I'm just trying to learn about metal detectors as much as i can, i don't want to sound annoying. I'm very thankful that people here take the time to answer.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
the GPX is designed to maximize the response to gold, yes this is the design criteria

others can describe what can be had for a grand

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the advantage of the XP Orx over the other two cheaper options you mention ? It is more expensive, so is there a reason why ? is it better ? Why is it better ?

That GPX 7000 cost around 8000 dollars. Why is it so much more expensive ? What can it do better than the others ? It is advertised (name) in a way that implies that it is specificially to find gold. I know that's never the case. What's different on that detector compared to others ?

I'm just trying to learn about metal detectors as much as i can, i don't want to sound annoying. I'm very thankful that people here take the time to answer.

7000 is the top of the line gold detector and will find small gold nuggets deeper than other gold detectors. You said you dont want to dig tiny gold nuggets yet the majority of gold nuggets found are small nuggets.

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still want to dig out everything worth more than the time i spend while digging the hole. Not that i wouldn't dig out 0.25 grams.

It's just that every detector probably will be sensitive enough anyway.

You both say that this detector is made for gold nugget search, but before in this thread everyone said it's not possible to "filter" materials as the devices are called metal detectors and not gold detectors. So what's the exact reason that GPX 7000 is so much better ? Saying it's just designed for it isn't satisfying my technical curiosity:dontknow:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My advice is to keep using the one you already have access to and keep at it. Learn how to use it by working with it in the field for at least 100 hours. Have some pieces of gold with you and see how the machine reacts to the items in different conditions. Keep a piece of aluminum,lead and iron with you as well so you can see how they react similarly or not to the piece of gold.
Then you can decide if this hobby is for you or not.
Lastly......GOOD LUCK!!!!!

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a detector at the moment. I guess i'm going with some less expensive Garrett model then, maybe used. Thanks everybody.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still want to dig out everything worth more than the time i spend while digging the hole. Not that i wouldn't dig out 0.25 grams.

It's just that every detector probably will be sensitive enough anyway.

You both say that this detector is made for gold nugget search, but before in this thread everyone said it's not possible to "filter" materials as the devices are called metal detectors and not gold detectors. So what's the exact reason that GPX 7000 is so much better ? Saying it's just designed for it isn't satisfying my technical curiosity:dontknow:

7000 is designed to find large and small gold nuggets at deep depths. Owners have used it in hunted out gold field patches that brought them back to life.

Even with discrimination at max detectors are still going to see and respond to junk metal targets..

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I stated what I did is because I backed it up with proof.

Next time read the attachment...

https://www.thebalance.com/electrical-conductivity-in-metals-2340117

1) The guy isn't talking about "Pure Gold"
He's talking about gold in the ground.

2) Comparatively silver and copper lead the pack.
And are mined metals.

3) Aluminum is not a mined metal, it is the result of refining Bauxite.

4) Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true.

5) The next thing you're going to claim is that water,.....
is a good conductor of electricity.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like the GPX series does not discriminate like a VLF detector will...so you will hear and dig every last piece of tin foil, nail, bb and everything else under the sun.

You may just want to wait a few months to see what the manufacturers come up with for their spring releases. They all fiercely compete against each other. If you're in a northern state, it's going to freeze soon if it isn't already frozen. Some of the western states are already seeing freezing.

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from europe.

So i need a VLF detector then, because it will make me dig less trash ?

You guys must understand that some info, from my point of view is contradicting, that's why i am always asking seemingly stupid questions. Think of explaining it to a 5 year old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread