What Detector do i need if i only want to dig up gold but no other metals ?

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My recent experiences of Gold Nugget searching with a borrowed detector include a lot of digging out old junk like nails, bits of cans or little iron pieces.

I want to buy my own metal detector.

Is there a metal detector that can be adjusted so it only gives a signal if it's gold and remains silent if it is any other metal ? So i only dig up gold, and don't waste energy and time to dig up other stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few choices: Garrett ACE 400, Minelab Vanquish, XP Orx, Nokta Simplex. All work well, all reasonably priced. Remember one thing, all detectorists, at least most, do the Goldilocks and the Three Bears thing, detector is too big, too light, good ergonomics, bad ergonomics, don't like the tones, like the tones and on and on. There is no best detector for every use.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I think the best detector for him is the one he is currently borrowing!

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note: In general, metals with high electrical conductivity also have high thermal conductivity

Fair enough,..... look at this chart of the best thermally conductive metals.

Conductors.JPG

Silver – Consequently, silver in terms of conductivity does not take 2nd place. As a result, silver is by far the most conductive metal on Earth. This is because silver only has one valence electron. In addition, this single electron is free to move around with little resistance. As a result, metals like silver and copper are a few of the metals with this particular characteristic. That is why they are great electric and thermal conductors.

Copper – In conclusion, copper like silver, only has one valence electron which makes this metal very conductive. Therefore, one of the more popular commercial applications is the coating of high-end cookware and kitchen appliances.

Gold – Overall, the list is limited and that is a primary reason (other than its rarity) why this material is so expensive. In addition, the combination of gold’s resistance to corrosion and its conductivity make this metal an extremely valuable resource used in large amount of industrial industries.

Aluminum – Overall, is an excellent metal conductor.
This feature, in addition to its low density and high resistance to corrosion, makes this metal perfect for the aeronautic and communication (transmissions) industries.

Zinc/Brass – Although these metals are much less conductive than their four counterparts. These metals are often less expensive and economical replacements when applicable.

Aluminum, high resistance to corrosion?

Sorry, that is something we have all seen as untrue.
It oxides up, (that white powdery corrosion), if left to the elements.

That is why it's, anodized, plated, powder coated, etc.

I have worked in the FAA aircraft part repair business since the 80's.

"The number 1 cause for losing an aluminum part, "Corrosion"

And these are parts that are most often surrounded by, and immersed in
hydraulic oil. You would think they would be fine,....

It just takes some water, even condensation, and the parts are pitted.
Often the pitting is deep enough that they can not be local blended out.

A part that can still fulfill the, Form, Fit, and Function,.... get scraped out.

Again, just because you read it on the internet, does not make it true.

You want proof?

"How many hundreds of pictures would you like to see"

In my line of work, it's something seen "Every Day".

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) The guy isn't talking about "Pure Gold"
He's talking about gold in the ground. That's correct and the whole intent of responding to his question is to indicate that Gold doesn't stand out from all the other metals he's going to encounter out in the field. Finding Gold in any form whether it's small impure nuggets or 10K Gold ring, he has to dig other metal objects that appear similar on the metal detector.

2) Comparatively silver and copper lead the pack.
And are mined metals. Agree!

3) Aluminum is not a mined metal, it is the result of refining Bauxite. As I mentioned earlier, if he's out in a Gold field looking for nuggets, he most likely won't be bothered with the countless Aluminum pieces of trash us coin hunters deal with.

4) Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true. I'll agree with that so I guess I'll have to live with how the metal detector I purchased senses Aluminum in any purity and Gold in any purity and ultimatey make the decision to dig the target or not.

5) The next thing you're going to claim is that water,.....
is a good conductor of electricity.

That's an interesting comment. I wouldn't call water (ground water) a good conductor of electricity, but I sure wouldn't recommend anyone get in a bath tub with filled with ground water and drop in a toaster plugged into a 120 VAC circuit while sitting in the tub.

Ultra Filtered water on the other hand is a great insulator once all the impurities (dissolved minerals, etc) are removed. I was responsible for setting up an Ultra Filtered water purification system used in a manufacturing process and yes, it's resistivity is in the Meg Ohms.

The intent of responding to Merlin's questions is to make suggestions that help with the decision of what to purchase and what to expect in the field. I think that everyone that responded has helped with that.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering why a detector with an adjustable notch filter couldn't be set to accept only those metals within a narrow range of conductivities? I believe I might be able to adjust the notch on my old Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus to do what the OP desires - though I have not tried. And that's 30 year old technology.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times you will notch out the gold.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering why a detector with an adjustable notch filter couldn't be set to accept only those metals within a narrow range of conductivities? I believe I might be able to adjust the notch on my old Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus to do what the OP desires - though I have not tried. And that's 30 year old technology.
I agree somewhat with this! The only problem is there are several different metals that fall really close in vdi and different gold items also give different numbers so you'll still dig alot of stuff that won't be gold. If ya find one that only searches for gold, it'll probably wear lipstick...:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree somewhat with this! The only problem is there are several different metals that fall really close in vdi and different gold items also give different numbers so you'll still dig alot of stuff that won't be gold. If ya find one that only searches for gold, it'll probably wear lipstick...:laughing7:

Smallfoot is correct.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just get gold? - no detector needed - just a mask, a gun and a jewelry store

I hunt behind guys that crank their discriminators all the time - they miss alot of gold that way
one years worth and this is from water - more gold jewelry is found in water than land

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times you will notch out the gold.

The old timer is my go-to machine when someone asks me to look for a lost ring.

pic of Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus control box. This is just before the widespread use of plastic in detector control boxes:

IMG_1491.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Great pic Casper!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Great pic Casper!
most of that was from spots that were "cleaned out" by others
places that guys crank their there discrim. and lost depth (many of those were found foot or deeper
or they cranked it and just missed them
I usually always hunt in all metal and dig it all - have found a lot under or with junk :thumbsup:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831926593/

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from europe.

So i need a VLF detector then, because it will make me dig less trash ?

You guys must understand that some info, from my point of view is contradicting, that's why i am always asking seemingly stupid questions. Think of explaining it to a 5 year old.

Ok, There is no free lunch. Whether you use a pulse inductive (PI) machine or a very low frequency (VLF) machine, you will dig unwanted targets, period. PI machines as a rule can't discriminate, so, that means you pretty much have to dig everything. VLF machines can discriminate, so, you can adjust it to reject (as in not respond to) various targets based on their conductivity. That's the rub though, as just about all the metals we encounter are alloys....as in not pure metals. Depending on the alloy mix, their conductivity can vary, sometimes by a lot. You reject all pull tab numbers, and you're also going to reject nickels and many pieces of gold, for instance. Size also matters. A small piece of gold will read totally different than a large piece on a VLF machine. I've found 14K gold rings that read anywhere from a hair over iron, to copper cent range, so, any discrimination or notching out targets will also lose gold. The better machines just do a better job of guessing what is being detected. That's not necessarily based on price either. If you want a good gold machine, look at what the successful people are using and what they're finding. I've done a little nugget hunting, but, I'm far from being an expert at it. What I have found is the higher end machines will detect a target deeper than the less expensive ones, so, you're pretty much paying extra for depth. That deep target can still be trash however....or it might not be.....but the lesser machines won't even detect it for you to decide. Some detectors (both PI and VLF) do a better job of finding tiny nuggets. In some places that's all you're going to find, so, one designed for those small shallow pickers is all you need. After many, many hours in the field with a detector, you MAY be able to make an educated guess as to what the machine is telling you, but, many times they lie, or you guess wrong. I guess here's my bottom line....any detector will find a gold nugget if it's big enough and shallow enough, so, your site is very important in choosing. The good old Fisher Gold Bug will find tiny nuggets at shallow depths about as good as anything. Same with the gold machines made by White's and others. The Minelab Equinox, and XP Deus will do a decent job too, and are much more versatile than the Gold Bug. They have different frequency options whereas the Gold Bug only has one. Sometimes being able to change due to ground conditions and other factors can make all the difference. The higher end gold machines such as the GPX and GPZ detectors from Minelab are designed to handle those highly mineralized ground conditions and still be able to penetrate deep enough to find those nuggets that the lesser machines can't. As to why they're more successful, some of that tech info is kept secret by Minelab.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector will do, you only need to know where to look for. Fort Knox would be an appropriate spot.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, were I in central Europe I wouldn't worry about any danged nuggets. Europe is a treasure trove of buried gold and silver from thousands of years of war. One ancient gold coin is worth more than a nugget of the same weight, and there are probably more valuable man made gold items than nuggets accessible in the ground there. Were I hunting for old gold and silver coins I'd take a nice multi frequency VLF. Merlin, like everybody has told you, you will STILL dig a lot of trash. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, period.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, were I in central Europe I wouldn't worry about any danged nuggets. Europe is a treasure trove of buried gold and silver from thousands of years war. One ancient gold coin is worth more than a nugget of the same weight, and there are probably more valuable man made gold items than nuggets accessible in the ground there. Were I hunting for old gold and silver coins I'd take a nice multi frequency VLF. Merlin, like everybody has told you, you will STILL dig a lot of trash. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, period.

I agree with you 100% Most any american would love to be able to detect in the area he is in, guy doesnt know how good he has it...:cussing:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100% Most any american would love to be able to detect in the area he is in, guy doesnt know how good he has it...:cussing:

I live in EU and i agree with first 1/2 of your sentance. However you should consider the legislation, the Devil is usually hidden in details. Practically, in some (Ex) European countries you might benefit some, even a lot, in most you mey get nothing at all, but in some, particularry Ex-communist you mey get in some very serious troubles. So it's not all gold, even if the VDI is right.

Non the less, if the find is of real amence value, troubles and fearce legal battels should be expected regardless of the EU country you have been detecting in. The French gov. supported naval expedition and the Lake Toplitz "find" are just two exaples of many...

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NO matter what machine you use.

Finding Gold is Site dependent...I try and put myself in the place with the highest chances of finding it. Then do a lot of (unnecessary"?) digging to raise the odd's.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread