What Detector do i need if i only want to dig up gold but no other metals ?

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My recent experiences of Gold Nugget searching with a borrowed detector include a lot of digging out old junk like nails, bits of cans or little iron pieces.

I want to buy my own metal detector.

Is there a metal detector that can be adjusted so it only gives a signal if it's gold and remains silent if it is any other metal ? So i only dig up gold, and don't waste energy and time to dig up other stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try to set the discrimination up very high, but fact is there is no detector that will only find gold. A metal detector is still a metal detector, it detects all metals.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My recent experiences of Gold Nugget searching with a borrowed detector include a lot of digging out old junk like nails, bits of cans or little iron pieces.

Is there a metal detector that can be adjusted so it only gives a signal if it's gold and remains silent if it is any other metal ?
So i only dig up gold, and don't waste energy and time to dig up other stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, no,... there isn't

If you're in a spot where gold signs are, especially a remote spot, the machine gets cranked full sensitivity and in "All Metal" mode.

That is why it's so frustrating when a good gold spot is found, but people have been bird hunting there or worse yet, busting clay pigeons there.

Sometimes, you just have to pack up and search up another spot.

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, thanks for the answers.

So i read that there are detectors that show some kind of numbers and that let's you learn if it might be gold or scrap.

With that detector i used i learned the different sounds after a while and i imagined to be able to tell if it's potentially gold or not, but a couple times i was totally convinced it's gold and it turned out to be a bullet or similar.

What metal detector model comes closest to what we/i are looking for in terms of only digging up gold ? What is technically possible to minimize digging up other metals than gold ?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Unfortunately any detector that will find more, smaller, deeper gold will also find more trash if it is in the area. If such a machine existed, none of us would be here to see your post. The trash to treasure ratio is usually huge. Your general location would bring the best advice.

ETA: I asked the same questions as you when I started getting more serious about detecting. You can spend a couple grand on a machine that discriminates out a lot of junk but most gold falls in the same range. You could spend 5 grand on a goldfield machine that will pick up the tiniest grain of gold but with really no discrimination. Like said above, if there is birdshot all over your area, it can be a nightmare.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
went to a site last week where gold had been found visually
the GPX was totally worthless, a fence runs down the creek and it is trashed with bits of old wire that cannot even be seen

they are called metal detectors
I hear women have a 'gold digger' model, might be hard to leash

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
check out whtes gmt or fisher gold bug 2 about 7 to 800 dollars ea
good luck brad

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GMT and the Fisher Gold Bug 2 will both find all types of metal. There is no such thing as a detector that will only find gold. There is no metal detector that can be adjusted to only find gold. If you meet anyone selling metal detectors that tries to convince you otherwise, run don't walk away. A metal detector that would only find gold would make all other detectors obsolete. The company that made it would be the only detector company still in business.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can help confuse our new member, but he's in interested in finding gold only, right...?
Well, I could tell him to get a machine with several "tones" and "numbers" helping to identify
the target. Getting something with programed or modes to have some choice in how
he hunts - gold prospecting? Well, maybe water-proofed? Better get something zippy too...!
Anyway, if he follows all the other members' suggestions before mine - he'll do fine...! :laughing7:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors electronically measure and report something called “eddy currents”. If you do a Google search on “eddy currents metal detector” you might be able to get a better idea of how these machines work. Also take into consideration the different sizes and shapes that gold can come in, even nuggets. You’ll get a good idea as to WHY there is no such thing as a “gold only” detector. If it was that easy to search for gold, we’d all quit our jobs and be fat cats like Smokey...:laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol.

We all want a detector that ONLY finds gold.

There are no shortcuts or "easy money" when it comes to finding gold.

Never is... or ever has been.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol.

We all want a detector that ONLY finds gold.

There are no shortcuts or "easy money" when it comes to finding gold.

Never is... or ever has been.

What??

you mean metal detecting is hard work ??

why do I always see old dudes metal detecting??

cant be that hard??

:occasion14::coffee2:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just looking for gold nuggets, you most likely don't have to deal with the countless Aluminum targets in the ground (pulltabs, can slaw, etc.). The electrical conductivity of the target affects how the detector responds. The top four conductors are Silver, Copper, Gold and Aluminum.

https://www.thebalance.com/electrical-conductivity-in-metals-2340117

Since Gold is very close to Aluminum, we are forced to dig Aluminum trash in order to find Gold jewelry.

Last year, I found this Gold class ring when I decided to dig every single target that was most likely an Aluminum pulltab.

P8220379.JPG

P8220387.JPG

Here's the amount of trash I dug that day.

P8220378.JPG

I wish that this was a typical amount of trash to dig in order to find some Gold, but it isn't. I kept track of the number of just pulltabs I dug this year before finding Gold and I have over 800 pulltabs without finding any Gold. Be happy you don't have to deal with all the Aluminum trash!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is readily available at that store that sells the book revealing the secrets of what women are thinking....

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a total beginner. I have no knowledge about detectors other than what i'm currently learning online. Must seem like a stupid question from your experienced point of view. Was just the first question i wanted to clarify. Thanks for the answers.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
beware the snake oil salesman
if you want gold using a metal detector you will eventually realise that every target must be dug and eliminated

the old guys detecting are likely coin-shooters, take copper and silver and leave the junk and gold
unless they dig it all

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top four conductors are Silver, Copper, Gold and Aluminum.

On what planet?

Not on this one!

Gold is a "Lousy" conductor.

And you grouped it in with the the three best conductors we have.

When you see a gold plated TV tuner, or other electronic plugs, pins, jack, or socket,...
It's there because of it's "Non-Corrosive" properties.
Under the gold plate is copper or silver.
Gold is thrown on only because it will non tarnish.
It stays bright.

That is why gold seekers use machines that are sensitive to,......

"Low Conductive Targets"

OP
OP
M

merlin01

Dec 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You speak of low conductive target detectors, so that means there are detectors that are more sensitive, or let's say more spefific about the target material, when they find gold ? That's what i'm trying to do. I'm trying to find out which detector i need if i only want to search for gold. If there is a model that has special capabilities which can be used to reduce the digging out of junk, and increase the chance of it being gold, then that's the model i need.

I'm aware now that there is no detector that only gives a signal for gold. But if there is a detector that is especially ideal for gold nugget searching, then that is what i need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread