I used to have a Whites Spectrum XLT, Now Im back into the hobby...

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchase a Whites Spectrum Xlt in 1998 I absolutely loved that machine and found many great coins, jewelry, and relics. Unfortunately in 2001 I had many health issues and thought detecting was over for me so I sold my XLT. Now I'm getting back into the hobby and I want a machine that is as great as my XLT was. I'm thinking about sticking with Whites because of how great they were and am looking at the Spectra V3i. Would you guys and gals out there tell me if it is just as great if not better than the Xlt. I know everyone has their favorite manufacturers. I won a minilab Eureka gold at a Gold show so I have that to prospect with(which I'm considering selling) just looking to get a high end detector for coins and jewelry. I would like to hear your thoughts on it, Also does anyone know if Whites is planning to replace the V3i anytime soon?

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
mxt would be my choice for coins and jewelry.i have a coinmaster,xlt,gmz (no good)and just got a gmt.and i use the mxt most of the time when iam not looking for gold.
brad

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard red83hd! Take a look at Forum: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might also browse Brands for information.

3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be a White's fan also.....until I tried a Minelab with multiple frequencies. Nothing wrong with a V3i or MXT pro, but, that's yesterday's technology. The best current bang for your buck in coin/jewelry hunting is the Equinox IMO. If you plan on doing any salt water beach hunting, then no contest, the Equinox beats anything White's has as an all around detector.

OP
OP
R

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all for the welcomes and replies. look forward to using the site again. I always hate buying something new and I appreciate all the input I can get.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i still use my old XLT... (got lucky last year and found a like new one on line for $250 and bought itas a back up)
I still make old and awesome finds with it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i still use my old XLT... (got lucky last year and found a like new one on line for $250 and bought itas a back up)
I still make old and awesome finds with it

An XLT is a good machine. Just a bit depth limited and pitiful in salt water/wet sand.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An XLT is a good machine. Just a bit depth limited and pitiful in salt water/wet sand.
I DO OK WITH MINE FOR DEPTH IN FARM FIELDS - VERY SENSITIVE ON SMALL SILVER
i get 1/2 dimes, 1/2 reales, 3c sil., and cut spanish often from spots hammered by others they missed
just a few quick examples
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used an XLT so I can't compare it to any other machine. I do own a V3i though and I believe it is still one of the best machines currently available. It isn't all peaches and cream though - it is a heavier machine (well balanced though) and it is NOT waterproof. Three frequencies at once, or select a single frequency of your choice. Best screen on the market and extremely user customizable - to the point that too many incorrect adjustments can really hamper performance. The stock programs are fine to start out with (turn on and go) and can be adjusted (for better performance) as you learn the machine. Good selection of coil choices. Great coin and jewelry machine.

No word, from Whites, on replacement plans (for the V3i).

Other machines you might wish to consider:

Whites MX Sport - waterproof single frequency machine. Very sensitive and deep. Great coin and jewelry machine. Not the best choice for salt water hunting, but it will do if salt water hunting is only an occasional thing (you'll lose some depth in salt water, but it will find good targets). Underrated machine in my opinion.

MX7 - basically the same machine as the MX Sport, but not waterproof (it is water/dust resistant). It is a bit less weight than the Sport - and a bit less costly.

Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer or Multi Anfibio - both are multi frequency machines (single frequency at a time) and waterproof. I don't own the Anfibio so can't comment on it. The Kruzer is fast and deep. Very sensitive. Decent in salt water, but not the best choice if you're going to do a lot of salt water hunting. Deeper modes are … um sparky; as in they can be a bit too much in really trashy areas. The 7 inch concentric coil is fantastic (I much prefer it over the stock coil - which is a good coil itself). The Kruzer weighs less than either of the two Whites machines (V3i, MX Sport). The Kruzer is a great coin/jewelry machine.

Nokta/Makro Simplex - inexpensive, single frequency, waterproof machine. I haven't used one, but the reviews are very good.

Unless you're in a big hurry to get hunting right away, it might behoove you to hold off (on a machine) until spring. By then there will be another option to consider.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I too am a red head, always heard that statement "Red on the head like the **** on a dog. Red heads are actually rare = got no red headed kids so I guess I'm a dying breed.... By the way, there's so few hairs on my head now, so I guess I'm no longer a RED HEAD :(

OP
OP
R

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am a red head, always heard that statement "Red on the head like the **** on a dog. Red heads are actually rare = got no red headed kids so I guess I'm a dying breed.... By the way, there's so few hairs on my head now, so I guess I'm no longer a RED HEAD :(

LOL - I'm not a red head, many people have come to that conclusion, although if I grow a beard I have a nickel sized spot - as Rob dyrdek says "I'm 1/16th ginger". I used to have a red 1983 Harley Davidson hence red83hd 8-)

OP
OP
R

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used an XLT so I can't compare it to any other machine. I do own a V3i though and I believe it is still one of the best machines currently available. It isn't all peaches and cream though - it is a heavier machine (well balanced though) and it is NOT waterproof. Three frequencies at once, or select a single frequency of your choice. Best screen on the market and extremely user customizable - to the point that too many incorrect adjustments can really hamper performance. The stock programs are fine to start out with (turn on and go) and can be adjusted (for better performance) as you learn the machine. Good selection of coil choices. Great coin and jewelry machine.

No word, from Whites, on replacement plans (for the V3i).

Other machines you might wish to consider:

Whites MX Sport - waterproof single frequency machine. Very sensitive and deep. Great coin and jewelry machine. Not the best choice for salt water hunting, but it will do if salt water hunting is only an occasional thing (you'll lose some depth in salt water, but it will find good targets). Underrated machine in my opinion.

MX7 - basically the same machine as the MX Sport, but not waterproof (it is water/dust resistant). It is a bit less weight than the Sport - and a bit less costly.

Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer or Multi Anfibio - both are multi frequency machines (single frequency at a time) and waterproof. I don't own the Anfibio so can't comment on it. The Kruzer is fast and deep. Very sensitive. Decent in salt water, but not the best choice if you're going to do a lot of salt water hunting. Deeper modes are … um sparky; as in they can be a bit too much in really trashy areas. The 7 inch concentric coil is fantastic (I much prefer it over the stock coil - which is a good coil itself). The Kruzer weighs less than either of the two Whites machines (V3i, MX Sport). The Kruzer is a great coin/jewelry machine.

Nokta/Makro Simplex - inexpensive, single frequency, waterproof machine. I haven't used one, but the reviews are very good.

Unless you're in a big hurry to get hunting right away, it might behoove you to hold off (on a machine) until spring. By then there will be another option to consider.

Thanks for all the helpful info - I've heard that it is heavy -I think I read somewhere people use a harness like the Minelab pro swing. The Xlt could be customized also I heard many stories of guys mucking things up, I always used the preset factory settings and never had an issue. Once in awhile I would try out custom settings. The "other option" statement is that in general or do you have an inside edge on one of the companies?-lol

OP
OP
R

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds casper - I found a beautiful 1774 1/2 reales and a nice 1804 1/2 cent among other treasures with the XLT

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds casper - I found a beautiful 1774 1/2 reales and a nice 1804 1/2 cent among other treasures with the XLT
Those are just some quick examples of XLT "small" finds - I have found over 6 1/2 dimes with it - over 6 1/2 reales with it - 3 = 3 centers other small foreign coins and
over 6 small cut pieces of spanish silver - all from spots others deem "cleaned out" - hit 100s of times by at least 20 guys I know ( sure many others i dont know)-
it loves the small silver - just got to go low and slow with the XLT

Imscotty3488

Feb 26, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectrum xlt

I purchase a Whites Spectrum Xlt in 1998 I absolutely loved that machine and found many great coins, jewelry, and relics. Unfortunately in 2001 I had many health issues and thought detecting was over for me so I sold my XLT. Now I'm getting back into the hobby and I want a machine that is as great as my XLT was. I'm thinking about sticking with Whites because of how great they were and am looking at the Spectra V3i. Would you guys and gals out there tell me if it is just as great if not better than the Xlt. I know everyone has their favorite manufacturers. I won a minilab Eureka gold at a Gold show so I have that to prospect with(which I'm considering selling) just looking to get a high end detector for coins and jewelry. I would like to hear your thoughts on it, Also does anyone know if Whites is planning to replace the V3i anytime soon?

I have one in literal new condition not even a scuff on the original coil. I am selling.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have been using my XLT steadily since 2005, and I bought it used then, lol. 1000's of hours, every type of weather. I have fallen several times... it has dents, scratches, etc. 100's of silver coins, 1000's of wheats/Indians. It is a beast, and for my experience, virtually indestructible. I have an old E series, but got an even older Spectrum series, and my GF uses it. I have been hunting the same custom program for over a decade. I know it is "old tech", but for me, my knowledge of the machine far surpasses the benefits of the bells & whistles of a "modern" machine. I've never felt the need to get anything new. I say if you felt a connection with the XLT, pick one up on Ebay for fairly cheap.

wingding

Greenie
May 12, 2019
Pennsylvania- U.P Michigan- Montana
Detector(s) used
First 1964 Relco- White's Coinmaster 4 - White's Eagle SL - Garrett 2500- Minelab GP Extreme- Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... I have had white's [Eagle II SL] Garrett GTI 2500] [Minelab GPX] and then I got a Deus XP...

And... by far... I like the Deus XP.. It has so much in the way of programming for and beats any other machine other then the GPX for gold... Deeper and more consistent. programming has a lot to do with that... And you dont need to be a computer genus to do that...Im proof of that.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... I have had white's [Eagle II SL] Garrett GTI 2500] [Minelab GPX] and then I got a Deus XP...

And... by far... I like the Deus XP.. It has so much in the way of programming for and beats any other machine other then the GPX for gold... Deeper and more consistent. programming has a lot to do with that... And you dont need to be a computer genus to do that...Im proof of that.

Ive hunted with a handful of guys using Deus's and they have made some nice finds - but I also went to spots they hit and found stuff they missed using my XLT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread