XP or Not?

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an opportunity to pick up a used XP Deus for $500. It was only used about 5 times. The entire kit is included.

On the surface I never have understood the excitement over the Deus. Partly because it is so different than the Whites I am used to (though the sealed battery and single frequency / coil costs seem to be cons).

I was thinking going to a V3I, then a MX Sport (...then the MX5 once I read they're the same software), but this is too good a deal to not consider.

Comments, please?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want it, I would. IMO, it's a better machine than all the ones you listed.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I would say that's a good price! Those here who use the XP Deus, have posted some great finds, and more of them. The evidence is compelling. I'd like to own one.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like mine. At the beach im digging 9-10" tagrets. That's coins, not coke cans. It's a great machine and that's a great price. What coil comes with it. The 9" LF or the 9" HF. Or the new X35? If you don't buy it PM me.Need to know what comes with it. Headphones and all.

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
v3i is a great machine if you know how to use it. I bought a nox 800 when they came out and also have a gpx 4500. The v3i compares well, its not as deep as the gpx and the nox is smoother in emi and a bit easier high trash. With the v3i I dig a lot less trash. I could never understand the lack of love the v3i gets. Its s great machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine. Check what I've found with it! Very easy to use.

OP
OP
D

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is customer support / how hard is it to replace the coil and unit batteries? Those are my concerns

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How is customer support / how hard is it to replace the coil and unit batteries? Those are my concerns

No batteries. I've never had a problem with any part of my XP. stays charged as long as I care to hunt in one day.. I will say that it's gonna be lighter than any machine talked about above if that matters to you.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take another one!!!!!!!!!!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Deus. You have already mentioned the downsides of sealed batteries and the high cost of coils. I used my original 11" coil a little over 4 years and the battery was starting to go. It would only last about 3 to 4 hours a charge. The battery can be replaced (see youtube), but I decided to sell it and get an X35 coil. So far the batteries in the WS4 and control unit are doing fine going on 5 years. I believe they are easier to replace than in the coil though.

Pros
Weight, or lack thereof
Recovery speed.
Adjustability. Can create custom programs or use the factory presets.
Target size and depth modulation. Easy to tell the big targets from small as well as the depth. (Something the Equinox 800 lacks)
Portability - Collapsible shaft allows it to fit in small area.
Wireless

Cons
High cost of proprietary coils. (But if you keep an eye on ebay you can get "decent" deals. Around $325 shipped for new X35 coils.)
Sealed battery on coil. Can be replaced, but not a quick and easy job. Can also send to service center to be replaced.
Not waterproof. If you submerge the coil, you'll need the "water kit" so the control box can receive the signal.
Not multi-frequency like the Equinox 800. This doesn't matter to me, but I think it does to some people.

$500 is a great deal as long as it includes the control box. Good luck with your decision.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 is a super great deal. I have been unable to break mine and the batteries last for years.

Hobbs.

Dec 29, 2019
On the edge of the Great Basin.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Gold Bug II, ATX, GPX-5K, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would jump on a nice used XP for $500! Pronto!
I have an opportunity to pick up a used XP Deus for $500. It was only used about 5 times. The entire kit is included.

On the surface I never have understood the excitement over the Deus. Partly because it is so different than the Whites I am used to (though the sealed battery and single frequency / coil costs seem to be cons).

I was thinking going to a V3I, then a MX Sport (...then the MX5 once I read they're the same software), but this is too good a deal to not consider.

Comments, please?

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ORX, the battery is in the shaft, remove the coil, pull out the battery. But the battery should last you for years. If you do not buy the Deus, post where it can be found, someone will jump on the deal.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've own all of those detectors except the Sport buy the Deus and never look back. The V3i slow and heavy, the MX5 is fun and I still keep it in the closet and pull it out for tot lots and to keep as a backup, but the DEUS (I have the ORX) is just so much lighter and faster it's not even close really. I usually buy a new detector about every 3 months just because I like trying new one out and so far I haven't seen anything the looks any better than the DEUS.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of this instant in time, the Deus is probably best the all around machine you can get.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've never used the EQ but the best machine of the 4 I own now is the Deus hands down or up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions