New member and need advice

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, just getting into the hobby. Wanted to for a long time just haven't had much time. I am needing to know the best tools to use to get started. I talked to a friend who said a notka simplex plus would be the best option. Waterproof, great features for a novice but yet a good machine. Its 255$ without the headphones. Any information helps with places to start and ways to read my detector as well as a good pinpointer. My family has a farm that was bought in 1905 that is still in the family I wanted to start with. Just a thought. Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a mint in box Simplex with the wireless headphones that I purchased for my wife but she’s not interested in the hobby. I bought the Simplex from bigboyshobbies for $333 and will sell it for $250 shipped insured with USPS. PM if you’re interested. Thanks
Well I just got off the phone with a guy my uncle knows that has a few different ones he is willing to let me try. Thank you for all the info and advice! Keep yall posted on what I get

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you buy detectors, you can buy the pinpointers. If you're buying new, you can probably find a packaged deal that includes the detector, pinpointer & a digging tool or side bag for finds.
You can detect without the pin-pointer, but many targets get funky sending signals sideways due to their shape or orientation in the ground, and you can dig to China and not find the target, when all it is is just below the surface, but on the edge of your hole. Pinpointers find it quickly.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you buy detectors, you can buy the pinpointers. If you're buying new, you can probably find a packaged deal that includes the detector, pinpointer & a digging tool or side bag for finds.
You can detect without the pin-pointer, but many targets get funky sending signals sideways due to their shape or orientation in the ground, and you can dig to China and not find the target, when all it is is just below the surface, but on the edge of your hole. Pinpointers find it quickly.
Going to pick up my package deal now!

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok got the simplex +, Garrett pinpointer, garret headphones, a digger tool, garret pouch for little under 500 bucks all brand new. Went out for a little while this afternoon freezing and it is so difficult to find anything lol I would get a good high pitch hit, or normal pitch hit, clear as day. Reading was around 90, one was 50-60. Dug and nothing lol pointer would go off when stuck in hole and dug more and nothing. What am I doing wrong??

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has swung a detector for 38 years, different makes and models as well as different soils and water types, I suggest that you buy the best, name brand machine you can afford and use it as often as you can. Dig pretty much every signal until you learn your machine well enough to use discrimination and not leave good targets behind. I only recently started using a pin pointer and yes it's a help but it learning your machine is more important and will get you more finds than any pin pointer on the market. When in the field, don't get discouraged if you don't find something exciting right away, most of what you dig will be trash and that is normal. But, if you stick with it the good finds will come and you will be hooked like the rest of us. Best of luck.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who has swung a detector for 38 years, different makes and models as well as different soils and water types, I suggest that you buy the best, name brand machine you can afford and use it as often as you can. Dig pretty much every signal until you learn your machine well enough to use discrimination and not leave good targets behind. I only recently started using a pin pointer and yes it's a help but it learning your machine is more important and will get you more finds than any pin pointer on the market. When in the field, don't get discouraged if you don't find something exciting right away, most of what you dig will be trash and that is normal. But, if you stick with it the good finds will come and you will be hooked like the rest of us. Best of luck.
I've talked to a lot of people over the last few weeks and majority said the simplex + is a great machine. I guess what my question is is how big of a hole/plug do you dig and how can you tell how deep it is on the monitor? Just by guessing?

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question,....

"Did you experience interference / feedback from your machine
when you turned on your pin pointer?"

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question,....

"Did you experience interference / feedback from your machine
when you turned on your pin pointer?"
Some but my buddy that that sold it to me showed me the basics, showed ne how to change frequency and that helped(if I did that right) but Just to check I moved my detector away just to see if it would still hit and it was clear.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some but my buddy that that sold it to me showed me the basics, showed ne how to change frequency and that helped(if I did that right) but Just to check I moved my detector away just to see if it would still hit and it was clear.

I bought a Simplex and I have been using it this holiday season.

Put in a bunch of hours.

Finally called it a night when my pouch weighed so much I didn't want to carry it anymore.

But,..... the Whites TRX I bought interferes badly, I had my Garrett Propointer with me,
tried it, same thing,.... not quite as bad as the Whites,..... 8 out of 10.

I shifted frequency but still really had to deal with it.

The machine is 12KHz
The TRX is 12KHz
The Garrett is 12 KHZ

The Nokta pointer is 11.6Khz
Likely the factory was careful to give decent separation between their machines
and their pin pointers.

I can't really say until I try one in the field.

Worth a try.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, if you set the detector down while you're using the pin pointer, and if you point the coil away from the area you're probing, you won't get interference.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, if you set the detector down while you're using the pin pointer, and if you point the coil away from the area you're probing, you won't get interference.

I wish that was the case, of course tried that,.......

I'm talking about "severe" interference.
The kind that makes you jerk your headphones off.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting you cell phone on airplane mode...
Be sure to ground balance correctly...
Are there any utility poles near you?

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and if there is a threshold nob/adjustment, turn it down to a faint hum.

Otherwise you may have just happened upon a large deep piece of iron or can.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok got the simplex +, Garrett pinpointer, garret headphones, a digger tool, garret pouch for little under 500 bucks all brand new. Went out for a little while this afternoon freezing and it is so difficult to find anything lol I would get a good high pitch hit, or normal pitch hit, clear as day. Reading was around 90, one was 50-60. Dug and nothing lol pointer would go off when stuck in hole and dug more and nothing. What am I doing wrong??

Big help. Go onto YouTube and watch some videos that are posted by people using your exact machine. Watch how they sweep the detecting head; dig the plug; use their tools. And don't watch just one. Watch MANY, from many different people. If you don't have someone to go out and give you pointers, this is the best way to get an idea.

You can also go to your equipment manufacturers websites, as they usually have videos on how to use their machines, and teaching videos.

When I hit a 90 with my Whites DFX, I'm thinking silver coin.

Practice patience. Lot's of patience in this hobby will do you wonders. Good Luck!

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big help. Go onto YouTube and watch some videos that are posted by people using your exact machine. Watch how they sweep the detecting head; dig the plug; use their tools. And don't watch just one. Watch MANY, from many different people. If you don't have someone to go out and give you pointers, this is the best way to get an idea.

You can also go to your equipment manufacturers websites, as they usually have videos on how to use their machines, and teaching videos.

When I hit a 90 with my Whites DFX, I'm thinking silver coin.

Practice patience. Lot's of patience in this hobby will do you wonders. Good Luck!
Yeah I dont know anyone that does this around my area. There is a group about an hour away that does but hard to call someone up short notice that far. Need bv some bv advice on people that are close to me!

Tomtom401

Oct 10, 2019
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800. Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Rhode Island! Make sure you get yourself a good shovel or dig tool. Nothing ruins a trip more than when a cheap digger breaks on you out in the field.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread