Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One note here, and I have both machines. the AT is probably easier to learn if one has never detected before.

I agree with this sentiment. I had not used a detector for over 30 years and decided to return to the hobby with a Minelab EQ-600. It is a great machine but i think i should have chosen an easier machine to learn before jumping on the "big dog" detector. I may still buy an AT if I can find one on the used market locally.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using the EQ and it will find a flea's braces a foot deep. That may be a bit of hyperbole but it will find some amazingly small things at equally amazing depths. My "best" find is a cadmium coated siding nail about 14" beneath a tree in my daughter's front yard.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that’s some serious depth. I’ll definitely consider the nox!

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I promise and this is no lie, my AT I had make get 5 or 6 inches on a coin my NOX has been 10 plus depending on coin.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth isn't even the deal breaker. The recovery speed on the 800 sets them apart from the AT machines.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth isn't even the deal breaker. The recovery speed on the 800 sets them apart from the AT machines.

Not to mention that swinging the AT feels like swinging a brick on the end of a broomstick. EQX is just a dream to hunt with.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea that AT Pro would wear ur forearm out pretty quick

Tomtom401

Oct 10, 2019
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800. Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love my Nox 800! Watching videos on youtube will help you with the learning curve.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK guys, so I would like to throw you a curve, I have a Garrett 400 and it has been pretty good to me so far. I am ready to move up, want waterproof and like the multi frequency of the minelab 600, but what about looking way up? What about the Garrett ATX. It sound like a good machine and would never have to move up again. I don't have experience with one but wondering if any of you did? Can you find coins and other small stuff? Thanks.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys, so I would like to throw you a curve, I have a Garrett 400 and it has been pretty good to me so far. I am ready to move up, want waterproof and like the multi frequency of the minelab 600, but what about looking way up? What about the Garrett ATX. It sound like a good machine and would never have to move up again. I don't have experience with one but wondering if any of you did? Can you find coins and other small stuff? Thanks.

No, you dont want any part of that. Its a military mine-detector, and was never designed for use a hobby machine. If you want a "dig it all" detector, there are better choices than that one.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, you dont want any part of that. Its a military mine-detector, and was never designed for use a hobby machine. If you want a "dig it all" detector, there are better choices than that one.
Just do urself a favor and get the 800 and never worry about it again.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First off, they're both fine machines even thou the AT Pro is something like 50 years old. If you're hunting near me please get the AT Pro. I f you're not hunting near me get the Equinox 600 or 800 - it would be my choice.:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Gold - 13
Silver - 15

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fellas you sold me. I was trying to decide between the Equinox 6 and 800. Think I will just go with the 8.
J

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I’ve decided on the 600. Thanks for all the advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions