Equinox or AT

markmcknight

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking of getting a Garrett ATPro. I'm a complete beginner and liked the look of it. Was going to try and pick one up 2nd hand. Maybe will change my mind and go for something different now. :)

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just thinking of getting a Garrett ATPro. I'm a complete beginner and liked the look of it. Was going to try and pick one up 2nd hand. Maybe will change my mind and go for something different now. :)
Great detector but it is what it is very basic and easy to use. But when someone with the minelab cruises up next to ya you might as well give way and let him in front of you haha. But no really a detector is only as good as who is operating it, but I have found more with my minelab after getting rid of my AT Pro.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Consider this,.........

Pick up an AT Pro,..... use it, get good with it, get to know it well.
When you know it like the back of your hand,...... there will be deals on used 800's

Then step up to an 800,......pay for it with the finds from your AT Pro.

There is a ton to learn, starting with a machine that is easier to learn on is a plus.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the Equinox can be as beginner as you want it to be. If you have fairly mild soil you don't even have to ground balance. You can really just pick your mode and go after a quick noise cancel. Even with a lower gain setting you're still going to find the goodies and learn a machine you can grow into then start adjusting settings once comfy. Heck, you may as well just buy a Simplex if you want waterproof and cheap. I actually think it would even out perform an AT Pro.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel the Equinox can be as beginner as you want it to be. If you have fairly mild soil you don't even have to ground balance. You can really just pick your mode and go after a quick noise cancel. Even with a lower gain setting you're still going to find the goodies and learn a machine you can grow into then start adjusting settings once comfy. Heck, you may as well just buy a Simplex if you want waterproof and cheap. I actually think it would even out perform an AT Pro.
Were not being jerks but the AT is really dated as far as depth, user settings, programs, and damn its heavy after a bit.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I couldn’t of said it better. Equinox all the way!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were not being jerks but the AT is really dated as far as depth, user settings, programs, and damn its heavy after a bit.

I have a buddy with an ATP and he hunts circles around some other guys with classier machines, he KNOWS his machine very well. NEVER underestimate user ability. ATP heavy?, geez, it weighs something like two pounds less than a Safari, Etrac, or CTX! I was very happy with the light weight of the ATP after using my Safari or Excal. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox and my other machines are taking a backseat and loaner duty now, but in the hands of an experienced hunter that "old" ATP still finds tons of goodies.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a buddy with an ATP and he hunts circles around some other guys with classier machines, he KNOWS his machine very well. NEVER underestimate user ability. ATP heavy?, geez, it weighs something like two pounds less than a Safari, Etrac, or CTX! I was very happy with the light weight of the ATP after using my Safari or Excal. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nox and my other machines are taking a backseat and loaner duty now, but in the hands of an experienced hunter that "old" ATP still finds tons of goodies.
I had the ATP for 2 years and am a young man in great shape, been detecting almost 30 years, I knew that detector like the back of my hand and when I say that the equinox 800 finds deeper targets with more consistent target identification and faster recovery speed I can say that 99 percent of people who have owned both will agree. I also hunt long hours without stopping I put in 6 +hours with ATP in a day and my arm was shot, I put in the same time with the 800 and I feel fine. Alot of it has to do with the detectors balance and armrest. And I have owned every brand you can think of, some my opinions are unbiased, but when someone asks which is better and I have owned both I'm not gonna sugar coat the ATP, it is what it is, if you know ur detector and kno it will u already have a leg up on the next guy, but if a guy has a better detector and knows it equally as well you cant make the argument of who knows there detector better it comes down to the functionality of your detector at that point and its limitations.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There's no doubt that knowing your machine is priceless but every piece of equipment has their limitations and the Equinox will beat the Garrett in everything.....except build quality IMO. Minelab dropped the ball on that one.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's no doubt that knowing your machine is priceless but every piece of equipment has their limitations and the Equinox will beat the Garrett in everything.....except build quality IMO. Minelab dropped the ball on that one.
Thank u lol

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, thanks team. Decision has been made and I purchased a package with all the fixings. Bought the EQ 800 Thursday. Since the weather sucks here, I have been watching videos and charging the unit. I will be ready to try it out after the weather improves here in E/S Michigan. Also got the Minelab 35 pinpointer with it. Thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread