Metal Detectors I haven't used - Your Thoughts?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at this for about 5-6 years now and I almost enjoy trying new machines as much as hunting. I'm thinking about maybe adding another machine to the arsenal this year and I can't decide what it maybe. Here is a list I am considering..

CTX3030 - The only thing stopping me on this one is the price tag and weight (I'm spoiled with my ORX at the moment) (The V3i was just to slow and too heavy despite all the cool features)
Etrac - I've heard so many stories about how good this machine is a locking in on Silver I just want to see for myself how good it really is. Is the CTX a better version of this (I didn't like the VDI on the Equinox so for me personally the safari and vanquish are out of the running) I have heard you have to go slower with this machine and that makes me nervous...

Tesoro Tejon - I had the Vaquero and it was a surprisingly deep machine with excellent ability to unmask coins in iron, I've heard the Tejon is even better and now I can probably get one for under $400 on the open market maybe worth a try. I don't know though I'm kinda a VDI spoiled guy now...

Makro Red Racer - I never got one of these and despite some draw backs I have heard about it I still think its the coolest looking machine ever. It just looks fun and I would probably keep it in the truck all the time.

Nokta Impact or Anfibio - Probably a more refined version of the racers and fors cor series. I wonder if this machine is a bit of a sleeper and surprisingly good. For some reason I am drawn to the layout of the impact but I really don't know which is better?

AT PRO - Haven't ever used one but would consider it if the price was right. It is fully waterproof which I don't have at the moment. I do hunt in the rain sometimes.

Appreciate the thoughts I've got a milestone birthday coming up so maybe I'll splurge a bit.

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watch MD-ing videos on these machines in use, but I don't know anyone, personally
who owns one...., yet I agree with your comments, from what I've learned indirectly.
I don't know what you want, an all-round, deep, versatile, light-weight, tough machine...eh?
Don't forget, water-proof, huh?
Well, I'd like one too - now, to find THE Ultimate Machine...! :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eyemustdigtreasure, um, maybe you missed it, whatever, but that machine is coming soon. I'm working on it with others here and elsewhere.

We got tired of same old stuff, different day. And we ain't makin' no sissy breaks right out of the box machine. It's being made in the USA and I'm going to be the one to throw it in the creek, drop it off the deck about 10 times, slide if off the truck to see if it breaks, at least 10 times, bury it and SIT on it! And that's after leaving it in the car to freeze and see how it works set next to the furnace, the heat and cold thing. I'm doing some of the final testing on it and will be selling them. Filed the papers with the state today to incorporate. I think it will be fun. I put my money where my mouth is. No fooling.

Relax, it's a few weeks off. Just please keep it in mind when you start seeing the ads.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to seeing what you got Smokey!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be patient. It is real and coming. We want to make sure its good out of the box so aren't taking shortcuts.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eman 1000, I have been detecting for 30myears straight... I owned many detectors including, Whites, Garrett, Fisher and now Minelab.... all good machines..... Right now, I have the CTX3030.... let me tell you, it's a good machine.... It is heavy 5.4 lbs, but, it is super well balanced.... I'm 68 and have no problem swinging it... I was lucky enough to find someone on this site that had 2 of them... He sold me his back-up CTX for 1/2 price.. $1,250 and I paid $90 shipping, but, it was new in the box !!!!! Super good deal... It does have too many bells and whistles for me... GPS maping and target maping…. The screen actually turns red when traces of iron are near a target... Built in clock too !! Basssmann

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really excited for the Cygnus 1x

Jan 24, 2020
Nj
Detector(s) used
Main: nokta anfibio multi
Backup: se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just received the anfibio multi about two weeks ago and my brother got the nox 800 two days before I got mine. I owned the se pro before hand (great machine) just sufferes in iron I wanted something good in iron infested colonial sites and also great with depth I looked at the nox since it came out but coming from the se I wanted something I could tune a little more and learn everything with! In my time with the multi it is a tad heavy but far more balanced than the se pro and the nox is light but a little front heavy all sites I have hit this year we’re pounded from every angle with an e trac, se pro, mxt pro, safari, mx5 and from what I can say is the anfibio is a beast I have found quite a few goodies from places that could not produce more with the other detectors mentioned from every angle the nox has squeaked a few goodies also I went without my brother and hit were he gridded of with the nox and pulled some buttons a liberty cap lc (on ededge) and a pewter cap gun not saying the anfibio is better than the nox in all situations in my honest opinion it is a better relic machine and copper/bronze coin machine than the nox 800the nox is probably better on gold and at the beach but the anfibio in land is a absolute monster not to mention you can get concentric coils and not just dd makes for a better all rounder in trash imo but if you don’t like the 3.7 pounds I’d go with the nox 800

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one machine I’ve used that has found me the vast majority of my silver coins has been the CTX using the 17” coil. I have used(fairly extensively) the Whites IDXPro, the EQX 800 and the Explorer2. The trick has been TID at depth. That’s me...in my hunting environment which is old ballfields, schools, parks and fairgrounds...basically “public land”. It is impossible to ignore the results regardless of weight, price, unneeded features, etc. Just my 2c.

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the new detector Smokey!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread